OctoPrint Plugin - Ender 5 Plus Z-Axis Reversed in Monitor

DodgeDeBoulet

Posted · OctoPrint Plugin - Ender 5 Plus Z-Axis Reversed in Monitor

I normally use the OctoPrint Control tab to monitor my prints, but I happened to notice that Cura's plug-in offers a Monitor page that provides much of the same functionality. It seems to work fine, with one exception: Pressing the "down" button causes the bed to rise, and the "up" button causes it to lower. A little counter-intuitive ...

I searched the forums and didn't find any other posts reporting this issue ... is there a way to fix this?

This is on purpose.

Some printers when you move the Z value it moves the nozzle up and down.  Some move the bed up and down.  ALL printers have z=0 when the nozzle and glass are touching.  ALL printers have it such that when z=10 the nozzle and the bed are 10mm apart.

So pronterface and cura have it so that the "down" button make the nozzle come "down" to the glass (or the glass up to the nozzle).  The Z value goes *down* towards 0.

Does that make more sense now?

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · OctoPrint Plugin - Ender 5 Plus Z-Axis Reversed in Monitor

It makes sense, but for a display that otherwise so closely mimics the functionality provided by the OctoPrint Control tab, it's counter-intuitive.

If would be nice if this was a user-customizable option 😁

Edited by DodgeDeBoulet

So, I'm feeling a little guilty. I went back into my OctoPrint configuration for the Ender 5 Plus and noted that I have "Invert Control" checked for the Z axis. I set it that way so it would mirror the movement controls in the actual printer's settings screen.

So, I guess it would be nice for Cura to support a similar option, and I withdraw (and apologize for) my complaint about what seemed to be a bug to me 😁

• Like 1

So cura is maintained by Ultimaker and none of their printers released in the last few years support USB printing.  So unfortunately I suspect this feature gets low priority - especially for new features.

Hi, I am the creator of the OctoPrint Connection plugin. That plugin is not maintained by Ultimaker, so the there may be hope yet for supporting the setting to invert controls to match what is configured in OctoPrint. I must admit I was unaware of that setting in OctoPrint.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ahoeben said:

Hi, I am the creator of the OctoPrint Connection plugin. That plugin is not maintained by Ultimaker, so the there may be hope yet for supporting the setting to invert controls to match what is configured in OctoPrint. I must admit I was unaware of that setting in OctoPrint.

Then I am hopeful. Thank you for taking an interest in this feature!

I understand that you  may have competing priorities, and that it may take a while to implement (or never happen). Regardless, I am delighted and grateful that you've built this plugin; it makes the process of pushing jobs to my printer completely seamless.

Thanks. I've subscribed to the issue so I won't forget either 😁

In octoprint, you can go under printer preferences and invert the axis that is causing trouble. This will aslo show up in cura as well.

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 5.05.43 PM.png

Edited by expiredramennoodles
    Forgot to add something

@expiredramennoodles, I think you missed the point of my post. I have the Z-axis inverted in OctoPrint so that bed movement follows control selection. If I click down-arrow in OctoPrint, the bed moves down. If I click up-arrow, it moves up. This is identical to the Ender 5 Plus front panel Z-axis control.

In the Cura plugin, the OctoPrint Z-axis control customization is currently not evaluated when it obtains the configuration data via the API, and thus its Z-axis controls work opposite those in OctoPrint. When I click down-arrow in Cura's Monitor panel, the bed moves up, and when I click up-arrow, the bed moves down.

I've scanned @ahoeben's (fieldOfView's) commits on Github since I reported the issue but don't see anything that addresses it, and verified just now that the behavior hasn't changed with the latest version of the plug-in and Cura 4.5 installed.

Edited by DodgeDeBoulet
    crappy grammar

I have not yet gotten round to implementing the functionality of matching the reversedness of the axes with OctoPrint.

2 hours ago, ahoeben said:

I have not yet gotten round to implementing the functionality of matching the reversedness of the axes with OctoPrint.

No worries, @ahoeben, and I hope I wasn't perceived as critical of your efforts. I just didn't want the issue confused by unintended misinformation 😄

• Like 1

I'll just add that I just found this happening to me on my Ender 5 Pro and google helpfully led me here. 😃 Please count me as another person who would love to see independent axis (re)inversions as an option for the Cura-Octoprint interface.  Thanks for the amazing work on the plugin, it is impressively slick...

Edited by HunterWare
    clarity