lucabur

Posted · Message: this setting has been hidden ...

Hi, I am a novice in using Cura, and I've installed Cura 4.4. and jusr now 4.5 on Windows 10 64bit machine. My 3D printer is a Creality Ender 5 plus model, having a quite large hot bed, 350x350 mm. I encontered from the beginning serious adhesion problems to the hot bed unitil I got a PEI sheet 300x300 mm (the bigger I found). This drastically improved the quality of the printing jobs, solving the adhesion issue.

But there is a new problem now: the Prime Blob that is printed at the begin of each job is printed outside of the PEI sheet area, and the nozzle height in this position is of course to big, because I tuned it taking into account the PEI sheet thickness.

I tried both these:

• Clearing the "Enabled Prime Blob" option
  • Changing the Prime Blob position with the "Extrude Prime X position" and "Extrude Prime Y position" options

But I can't modify any of these options and a "this setting has been hidden ... message is trying to explain me the reason without actually explaining anything.

Can anyone please explain me why these options are hidden  with a preset fixed value and how to make them available ?

Thanks a lot.

Luca

Posted (edited) · Message: this setting has been hidden ...

I'm using Cura 4.3, so I do'nt see the creality ender5plus but I have the def.json file for the ender5.

Ender5 inherits from creality_base which inherits from fdmprinter for the settings

The fdmprinter.def.json file tells that enabled prime bob has the enabled var to false, which makes it invisible.

This parameter is not overridden by creality_base and ender5

For the ender5plus please check if this param is overridden with enabled=true, if not this params is not visible in cura. Maybe you may override it, i do'nt know this printer, by adding the line in the def.json file

Edited by JCD

3 hours ago, lucabur said:

Can anyone please explain me why these options are hidden  with a preset fixed value and how to make them available ?

AFAIK "Prime Blob" is only usable for newer Ultimaker printers (with gcode flavor "Griffin") - it uses a custom gcode command that is ignored by other printers.

For all other printers such things are done in the start script. So the solution is: change the coordinates in the start script to take the reduced build area into account.

If needed you can lookup all gcodes and parameters in the Marlin documentation.

The fdmprinter.def.json file tells that enabled prime bob has the enabled var to false, which makes it invisible.

This parameter is not overridden by creality_base and ender5

Thank you for the suggestion. I modified the "overrides" element of creality_ender5plus.def.json adding :

"prime_blob_enable": { "enabled": true, "default_value": true },
            "extruder_prime_pos_x": { "enabled": true, "default_value": 30 },
            "extruder_prime_pos_y": { "enabled": true, "default_value": 30 }

but with only a partial success: now "prime_blob_enable" is visible in settings and can be enabled or disabled, but both the position elements X and Y have no effect: they can be checked in the Visibility setting panel, but are never shown in the actual setting. Moreover, the default values are ignored.

it uses a custom gcode command that is ignored by other printers.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think you are right: I tried to modify the .def.json file, enabling the prime_blob parameters without success. I will now explore the generated Gcode to discover where and how the prime blob is created.

The prime blob that your printer performs might simply be part of the start gcode. Google how to edit that and look at the reprap wiki for gcode to understand what the codes in the start gcode do exactly.

If it's not in the start gcode than the firmware of your printer might decide when and how to do the prime blob. In that case I can't help you.