Accuracy of printed parts

matthiash

Posted · Accuracy of printed parts

Hello,

I really enjoy printing with my new Ultimaker.

Nevertheless I know observed several times that the scale of printed parts is not accurate.

I m printing parts for a mechanical prototype, which should be mass produced out of aluminum next year.

In the cad drawing the part has a size of 50 mm x 149 mm. When I imported the stl into cura the measures were still the same.

Nevertheless the printed part had measures of 49 mm x 142 mm.

I searched on cura for settings to maybe solve the problem but I couldn't.

For me it sounds like a problem with the gcode, but I have no idea how to handle it.

Did anyone observe the same problem?

Would very much appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Matthias

UM1 or UM2? Anything non-standard about it?

You might see differences of a mm or less on X-Y dimensions due to shrinkage, etc. But 149 v 142 is way off from what you should expect. It seems like the steps-per-mm calibration is probably wrong in your firmware.

No, heated plate might help if the shrinkage is causing the print to warp or crack - but that's usually only the case with ABS. It's just a fact of life that plastic shrinks slightly, and there's nothing you can do about it. Injection molding has similar challenges.

Do you have an Ulticontroller? If so, look in Control -> Motion for the steps per mm settings, and report them back.

If not, there's a gcode that shows the settings, but I'm not sure - maybe M503, but I'm not sure if that supported in UM1 standard firmware. Try sending that to the printer using Cura, Pronterface, or whatever you connect with.

Do the differences change after rotating the part 90°? The shrinkage is extremely unbalanced, 0.5% vs. 3.5%.

In the cad drawing the part has a size of 50 mm x 149 mm. When I imported the stl into cura the measures were still the same.

Nevertheless the printed part had measures of 49 mm x 142 mm.

WTF? That's a typo, right? Seriously? If it really printed 7mm short then something is very very wrong.

With heat off place a ruler on your bed. Move the test head to a postiion over the ruler and then move the test head 50mm. It should move 50mm. Not 48.

Pronterface is a very useful tool for messing around - moving an axis 10mm at a time or whatever and for examining and changing the steps/mm values.

If that was a typo then I have totally different advice...