Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Cutting Objects in Cura

jollyro

Posted · Cutting Objects in Cura

Gi Guys, it seems to me that for what I do Cura is the best slicer for my printer. I use a Anicubic Mega S. But what I look for is a Add-On or feature in Cura that could cut the object into pieces.  I saw that in some other Slicer Software, but it did not slice well for my printer and I forgot which one that is. 

This would make some Prints so much easier without the hassle to bring it into some other 3D Software, rearrange it and bring it back.

Imaging, you have a Figurine, cut it in Half or cut off the raised arm, lay it down on the bed and print it without these nasty supports all and everywhere. Lot of Material saved. 

If some smart one could do this, that would be awesome.  I have no idea, if this is a impossible task or not. I am a little over 60, I started with a VC 20, programmed a shitload of things in my younger years, but nothing with 3D and now I am to old for that anyways nor do I have the tools for it.  I used to be a chef, chefs do normally not need any programming skills....

Cutting objects at an arbitrary cutting plane is surprisingly more complex than you might think. It is not just a matter of removing all points on one side of the plane; it is very likely that the plane cuts halfway through a lot of faces. New vertices need to be added and connected into new faces, and the model needs to be kept "watertight" by adding caps to all now open areas and then still manual repairs might be necessary. It is a task that really needs to be done in an application with a much firmer grasp on the geometry than the Cura frontend has.

• 9 months later...

Maybe 'cutting' the model is the wrong concept.  It may be easier to subtract or crop.  Cura already has an option to subtract supports using an overlapping object.  It can also even change print settings for a volume defined by an overlapping object.  Why not have a "do not print" or "only print within" options?  Then you could import a 1cm cube, stretch it as required and use it to define a volume to print or volume to crop?

You have to realize that most 3D files available are stl files which are not as easy to modify as solid geometry models.  But most of the time I only want to take an stl from Thingiverse (or elsewhere) and crop parts that I don't need or split them up if they are too big.  This option would seem like a very basic yet versatile tool. 

And you can't say that it is too complex--not for the brainiacs at Ultimaker that are already making this kind of software.  😉

"I used to be a chef, chefs do normally not need any programming skills....".

I beg to differ.  You had to flip over the little glass thingy with the sand in it to program it for 3 minutes.  I would consider that analog programming.  The oven controller had to be programmed for temperature and start time/end time.  That's digital programming.  I think you're selling yourself short.

The support blockers can be used as mesh modifiers.  Drag one over, resize it, set it to "Cutting Mesh" and enter the appropriate settings to keep anything in the overlap from printing.  Typically setting the Wall Thickness, Top Layers, Bottom Layers, and Infill Density to zero for the overlap will do the trick.