Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Does Marlin change the material-settings definitely on Ultimaker 2+?


Recommended Posts

Posted · Does Marlin change the material-settings definitely on Ultimaker 2+?

I can find a lot of information about Marlin, but can't find this specific question, so maybe someone can help me out.

 

I consider to change the g-code flavor from ultimaker2 to Marlin because I want to have a higher temperature for the first layer for one print. The printer warns that this will override the machine settings (for the materials). This is fine for this print, but does it change the material setting only for this print, or is the change definitely on the machine? When I make an other print after this one with flavor ultimaker2 (with no material setting in the g-code) does the printer uses it's original setting of the loaded material, or does it use the material settings from the latest print? In other words, is the change in the material-settings with the Marlin flavor definite, or only for the print concerning the g-code?

 

I think I asked the same question in thee different ways in the text above 🙂 But maybe I don't know enough about this and one question leads to another answer. There is probably a lot to learn for me still 🙂

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Does Marlin change the material-settings definitely on Ultimaker 2+?
    16 hours ago, MaartenS said:

    The printer warns that this will override the machine settings (for the materials). This is fine for this print, but does it change the material setting only for this print, or is the change definitely on the machine?

     

    It does not actually "override" the configured materials, it just ignores the material that is selected on the printer. The material configuration on the printer (from the "material" menu) can not be changed with gcode commands - so all-clear on this topic (IMHO).

     

    On the other hand... all (other) Marlin settings are "sticky" and stay active until the next explicit change. Not all of them are reset at the beginning of a print. This applies (e.g.) for acceleration settings and speed factors.

    That's why it's generally a good idea to reboot the printer between prints with different gcode flavors.

     

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Does Marlin change the material-settings definitely on Ultimaker 2+?
    1 hour ago, tinkergnome said:

    That's why it's generally a good idea to reboot the printer between prints with different gcode flavors.

     

    thanks for this clear answer! By rebooting you mean switching the power off an on with the switch on the back?

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Does Marlin change the material-settings definitely on Ultimaker 2+?
    6 hours ago, MaartenS said:

    By rebooting you mean switching the power off an on with the switch on the back?

     

    Yes, that's the easiest way.

    As an alternative one could add M501 to the very end of any gcode file. For example by adding it to the end g-code in Cura. This would fulfill the same purpose.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Does Marlin change the material-settings definitely on Ultimaker 2+?
    36 minutes ago, tinkergnome said:

     

    Yes, that's the easiest way.

    As an alternative one could add M501 to the very end of any gcode file. For example by adding it to the end g-code in Cura. This would fulfill the same purpose.

    Thanks a lot for the help!

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...