Support structure for a reversed conic in Cura

395V

Posted (edited) · Support structure for a reversed conic in Cura

ters-koni.thumb.jpg.bf387844407c4ba04e33f01abd0ebb39.jpg

Hello, could you please tell me how to make a support for a reversed conic model. An example model is attached. Thanks.

ters koni.stl

Edited by 395V
added image

Posted · Support structure for a reversed conic in Cura

You can design it in your CAD software. For the cone you only need support at the tip but the overhang at the top of the part would required support too (this you let Cura handle it)

Most of the time nozzle breakes the conic while printing because it is too much force for that tiny tip. I found out that using a small "support x/y distance to print" and a "manual support" covering the conic helped. Conic is totaly covered with support so there is no way to move it in x/y direction.

Edited by 395V

I think I'd be inclined to make two separate details (the stand with locating pins and the cone with matching locating holes) and glue them together.  That would allow laying the stand on it's side and only the locating pins would need support.  The cone could then be printed upright with no support.

When it's possible, I put 1.85 holes on both pieces and then cut short bits of filament and glue them in as locating pins.  That would make for no support on either piece.

Edited by GregValiant
    Another thought.

Hey Hey Hey guys these are complicated solutions why dont u put a support at the starting of the conic model manually

Edited by DarRAven
    • Like 1

Well, the cone is not connected by anything until it merges with the gantry thing.  It's non-symmetrical as well.  Unless the support wrapped around it I think it would fall over.  And if the support did wrap around it, the head would crash.

I think I'll stick with 2 pieces.  One could be the cone and gantry (without the base) printed upside down.  The second could be the base of the gantry.  They'd need locating holes/pins but no support would be required.

On 4/30/2020 at 10:09 PM, 395V said:

nozzle breakes the conic while printing because it is too much force for that tiny tip.

I think you can ad 2-3 solid layers at the top of the support and make the gap 0.0mm. other solutions are also okay but this seems a bit more easier

If you make the baseplate a prism instead of flat, you could print it upside down. But the tip of the cone will always come out poor, due to insufficient cooling, so this will need some post-processing.

• Thanks 1