ABS Material Does Not Come off Glass Tray on Ultimaker S5

Posted · ABS Material Does Not Come off Glass Tray on Ultimaker S5

Hello,

We have an Ultimaker S5 printing with ABS. After the print is done, only putting the tray inside the freezer facilitated taking the printed part off the glass tray. Any advice?

Thanks,

Diego

You want to apply a layer of glue on the glass, to proctect the glass. If you print on clean glass it can happen that you chip some small pieces of glass out of the plate. It happenend to me often when I forgot to apply some glue or something else. You can also try to use Dimafix, 3DLac or something like that.

Another solution is to use the UM adhesion sheets. It will not come off easier, but it will also protect your glass.

• Like 1

I started using pink aquanet hair spray back with my UM 2+ to get ABS to stick, and have migrated to using it even for my PLA projects. 

Remove glass plate and clean with Windex. Dry whole area off well so no windex residue remains, or hair spray will bead up.

Soak the glass plate with hair spray THICK until a clear layer forms on glass. Wipe off corners where clips hold.  Place the glass back in printer, and pre-heat the base plate to 60C until dry.  Acts like a self leveling compound for the glass. Then run your print once dry in ~5 minutes. Have had zero adhesion issues, glass damage, or self leveling issues with my UM S5 or 2+.  Do a fresh windex clean and re-coat with hair spray before any 2-3 day print. Worth the time. Buy the hair spray in bulk because you will use a lot once hooked. Good luck

9 minutes ago, D95 said:

I started using pink aquanet hair spray back with my UM 2+ to get ABS to stick, and have migrated to using it even for my PLA projects. 

Remove glass plate and clean with Windex. Dry whole area off well so no windex residue remains, or hair spray will bead up.

Soak the glass plate with hair spray THICK until a clear layer forms on glass. Wipe off corners where clips hold.  Place the glass back in printer, and pre-heat the base plate to 60C until dry.  Acts like a self leveling compound for the glass. Then run your print once dry in ~5 minutes. Have had zero adhesion issues, glass damage, or self leveling issues with my UM S5 or 2+.  Do a fresh windex clean and re-coat with hair spray before any 2-3 day print. Worth the time. Buy the hair spray in bulk because you will use a lot once hooked. Good luck

You didn't get it. I am having the opposite problem.

The hair spray also protects the glass from damage. once cooled down, parts release by themselves or with a little help from a razor blade to get them started. It does help with removal by isolating printed part from glass by a thin layer.

On 5/8/2020 at 10:44 AM, Smithy said:

Another solution is to use the UM adhesion sheets. It will not come off easier, but it will also protect your glass.

I totally agree.

With the adhesion sheets (which i always use in my UM3 when printing ABS), you will prevent chipping your glass plate, and you also will prevent warping. But removing a print from a new, unused adhesion sheet, especially if the contact surface is big, will be a real "pain in the ass". But it will become easier when the sheet is already used.

Regards

One of these 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33009170756.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dRVsQk5

Best thing I have done.

wipe down with alcohol occasionally and that’s it.

we do lots of tooling parts- big flat faces and solid blocks that won’t pop off easily.  
    usually don’t have to remove it from the bed, but when something sticks really well, it’s no big deal to take it off and twist it off.

these should have been supplied by ultimaker given the price of the printer.

if the $500 dollar Chinese printers are ahead of you in terms to technology, you should be nervous ultimaker management ....

On 5/9/2020 at 5:54 PM, Jasonjason said:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm dealing with this same issue and looking at that product as a solution. I've used PEI flex plates before, so I know that works. Does the plate interfere with the auto-leveling on the machine? Do you put it on top of the glass or remove the glass? Thanks!

For ABS prints on both the S5 and my 'other' printer (Prusa I3) I always use a release agent.

Layerneer Bed Weld is what I usually use.

Translated by moderator:

"Hi there. I mounted a ziflex sheet but when I did the leveling I spoiled it since the printcore are hot. the same thing does not happen to you with that one from aliexpress"

---

Original:

Hola. yo monte una lamina ziflex pero al hacer la nivelación me la estropeo ya que los printcore estan calientes. no te occure lo mismo con esa de aliexpress

23 minutes ago, Nacho2707 said:

Hola. yo monte una lamina ziflex pero al hacer la nivelación me la estropeo ya que los printcore estan calientes. no te occure lo mismo con esa de aliexpress

Hi @Nacho2707, thank you for your response and welcome to the community! Please be mindful about the categories and language when you write a response. As a house rule the shared language in the community is English. For now I have added a translation to your response. We do have other areas if you prefer to speak your local language instead. Here is a link to Spanish if you prefer. Thank you!