high pitch squeal

richard-a

Posted · high pitch squeal

Hi people!

My um2 has just developed a very high pitch squeal on the y axis. every move on the y axis makes this unbearable noise. I put a bit of machine oil on the bars but this has done nothing. I think the sound is coming from the left motor. Does anyone know what this could be?

Don't know but someone else might:

1) Turn off your machine. With the power off try pushing the head back and forth in Y direction. It's safe to do this even when powered on but easier when the servos are off. Does it make the same noise? Or a similar noise?

2) Please take a short (10 second?) video of the issue so everyone can hear it.

Just a guess... I had a similar problem on a totally different printer. I thought that the bearings were bad, but after I disconnected the belts, the head slid beautifully. Turned out that the y-axis belts weren't set up parallel to the axis, so they were torquing the bearing as it slid.

Perhaps you have something similar happening? Look at the long belts that run front to back, and make sure that they run perfectly parallel with the axis rods. Particularly if the X-axis rods have moved at all (as some people's have), then the pulleys at either end of the y-belts might not be in the right place.

You might also check whether it could be actually the sound of the pulleys slipping on the rods, or the rods somehow catching on the frame.

As George said, a video would help.

Re the heatbed. Check the cables that go into the heat bed. I noticed yesterday that two of my cables were VERY loose, as in I could easily pull them out without force. Seems someone forgot to tighten those screws on mine. I haven't taken it all apart to get at the screws yet though, looks like a bit of a pain to do. I'm going to have to eventually though as I've also lost 2 of the 4 nuts holding the back clips in place...

Don't know but someone else might:

1) Turn off your machine. With the power off try pushing the head back and forth in Y direction. It's safe to do this even when powered on but easier when the servos are off. Does it make the same noise? Or a similar noise?

2) Please take a short (10 second?) video of the issue so everyone can hear it.

Thanks a lot. I moved the head with my hands and noticed it was stiffer in the y direction. so I used some machine oil on the rod and it seems to have sorted the problem.

Any ideas on the build plate not heating?

Any ideas on the build plate not heating?

Read the post 2 posts up please.

The build plate is VERY simple.

1) Is it reading the correct temperature? Because the problem could be with the thermocouple which reads back the temperature. Room temp is around 25C so if it is reading 200C then that's the problem.

2) More likely it's reading 25C but not heating up so the wiring is probably bad. Like Robert said, check the wires at the build plate. If you have a volt meter, it should get to a significant voltage when turned on - something like 12V or 19V or 24V?

3) If this doesn't resolve the problem (if there is no voltage or if the wiring seems good and tight - not loose like Richards, then put your UM on it's side and remove the larger bottom cover. It's only 2 bolts. Very easy.

20130920_210529.jpgThe heated bed wires go where it says "heated bed" on the circuit board on the bottom of the board in this picture.

AS REGARDS HEAT-BED: LATELY I HAVE USED FOLLOWING WITH 100% SUCCESS:

NO HEAT-BED

USE PRIMA-BUILDTAK 

USED FOR DOZENS PRINTS, EVEN 15 CM HIGH.

FANTASTIC. 

USED PLA AT 220C.

1 hour ago, ksb said:

AS REGARDS HEAT-BED: LATELY I HAVE USED FOLLOWING WITH 100% SUCCESS:

NO HEAT-BED

USE PRIMA-BUILDTAK 

USED FOR DOZENS PRINTS, EVEN 15 CM HIGH.

FANTASTIC. 

USED PLA AT 220C.

Please don't type in all caps.