Cura all layer start from the corner

z-uo

Posted · Cura all layer start from the corner

I have a Hamlet HP3DX100, this is my first 3D printer. I set cura for printing well but on each layer the extruder move to a corner and after start to print the next layer. This have the side effect to create some bad artifact from the end point to the corner for each layer. Exist some settings to solve this issue?

I do not have nothing inside 'Modify G-Code' like you can see into image. I also try to change "Z seam Alignment" but does not change nothing.

I'm using Cura 4.6.1 and i set "G-code flavor" to "RepRap"

settings.png

Did some digging and found Cura-setup for this type of printer on the Hamlet-website...

Did you change the Start/End G-code like is suggested?

-->  http://english.hamletcom.com/products/hp3dx100.aspx?t=download

Download the Cura Setup file... in the ZIP you will find a PDF-file and 2 text-files for Start/End G-Code!

The cura setup of this site is for cura 13.06.4 So I create the configuration with this version of cura and after I import it with the Cura 4.6.1, It print. But every layer move itself to a corner. This is time consuming useless movement. How to prevent it?

... for us it is a wild guess... we don't know your printer settings nor the Start/End Gcode...

Do you have the same problem with the old version? If not, create Gcode-file and compare it with a Gcode-file created with 4.6.1. Maybe something will show up in the Gcode-file... Try, with the help of Google, to understand the codes in the Gcode-file.

Since the information on the website is from 2015 I don't think there will be much support from Hamlet, but you could ask them by contacting them...

Remove the printer in Cura and add a new one, don't import but start from scratch with the information in the Cura Setup file from the Hamlet website... will be trial and error...

I do not think that is an error into start/end gcode, because they are only at the start and the end of the print. I say this also because the same gcode with Simplify3D does not have problems.

The problem is that on each layer the estrusor go back to a corner. I think that is another settings.

I try to change "Z seam Alignment" from "sharpest corner" to "user specified" but the problem does not solve.

Exist other configurations that bring the extrusor at corner position for each layer?

Hello @z-uo, please attach a sample g-code file to this thread so I can see the weird movement you describe. Thanks.

Posted (edited) · Cura all layer start from the corner

I ask again, does the problem occur with the old version of Cura? And post Gcode like asked before 😉

Edited by Mari

@burtoogle in attachment there is a simple piramid gcode.

@Mari with old version of Cura I cannot generate gcode because it crash. But I managed to save the .ini configuration file.

UMS5_piramid.gcode

Thanks for the g-code. I can't see anything there that would make the nozzle go back to a corner on each layer.

Screenshot_2020-07-15_19-51-34.thumb.png.c69ecece3f9148fe37e6dac06bdf14a6.png

The only big travel moves are on the first layer.

In the attached file the video that show the problem.

If I generete the gcode with standard "German REPRAP" config, it does not have this problem, but obviously the material do not be extruded for some other configurations.

cura_problem.mp4.zip

I also can't find any thing strange in the Gcode...  I understand the problem, but don't have a solution for it!

Did you try to contact Hamlet?  Or try to find someone who uses this printer also...

On YouTube you can find a few videos over this printer, check it out... most of them are in Italian language!

I read the Gcode file into AutoCad and it looks exactly the same as Burtoogle's image.  A single move to the right front corner before starting on the raft.  There are no moves (G0 or G1) in the Gcode to account for the behavior in the video.  This leaves the firmware as the culprit and (I think) something is causing it to do a G162 X Y at the end of every layer.  The G162 X Y tells the machine to home the X and Y axis to maximum (which I assume is the right rear of your machine).  If that is true then it kinda has the feel to what was said about camera position.  I don't know that your older firmware would have supported that but it is what would happen to move the head out of the way and allow a photo to be taken after every layer.

Going through the Gcode line-by-line (I'm retired) there are a few lines of code in the beginning that are odd.  In particular is the M158 line.  M158 doesn't appear to be supported by any printer firmware.  Also, the hot end temperature seems to be bounced up and down.  I'm not sure what's going on there.  It appears that the hot end settles down at 100 degrees.  That is below cold extrusion temperature and isn't making sense to me.

My suggestion is that you go through all the menus in the firmware and look for things that might cause the machine to move to Xmax and Ymax every time the layer changes.

From the Gcode file:

T0   ;Select extruder 0
    M104 S208  ;Set temp to 208
    M109 S208  ;Wait for hot end to get to 208
    M82 ;absolute extrusion mode
    M73 P0  ; Set build percentage to 0
    M158  ; This is "turn mist coolant on" and isn't supported by printer firmware (I found it on a CNC site) 
    G21  ; Set to metric
    G90  ; XYZ to absolute positioning
    M104 S220 T0  ;Turn extruder 0 up to 220
    M109 S100 T0  ;Turn extruder 0 down to 100.  Don't wait for it to cool down.
    G162 X Y F2500  ;Home X and Y axis to maximum
    G161 Z F1100  'Home Z axis to minimum
    G92 Z-5  ;Set Z location to -5
    G1 Z0.0
    G161 Z F100
    M132 X Y Z A B ;Loads the axis offset of the current home position from the EEPROM and waits for the buffer to empty.
    G1 X230.0 Y5.0 Z10.0 F3300.0
    M6 T0  ; Tool change to extruder 0
    M6 T0  ; Tool change to extruder 0
    M108 R3.0 T0
    G1 X230 Y5 F3300.0
    G1 Z0.6 F1100
    M108 R4.0 ;Not sure about this.  Either "exit hot end wait period" or "Set extruder speed".  I didn't find parameter R.
    G4 P1500 ;Wait for 1500 mille-seconds.
    M105 ; report temperature
    G1 X210.0 Y5.0 Z0.6 F3300.0
    G92 E0
    G92 E0
    G1 F1500 E-6.5

I create a new printer and it works but do not extrude nothing. The only other difference is the "Print Core" presence into material. How to have this parameter into another custom printer? (In my situation in one exist and in other does not, but the other do not come back to the corner, but it does not extrude)

Schermata del 2020-07-21 19-43-10.png

Schermata del 2020-07-21 19-44-09.png

Reading manually a working gcode with the generated, and I find every layer this:

M106 S153
    M204 P1000
    M566 X600 Y600

In a correct gcode:

;LAYER:5
    ;TYPE:WALL-INNER

Into the gcode that go to the corner

;LAYER:5
    M106 S255
    M204 P1000
    M566 X600 Y600
    ;TYPE:WALL-INNER

Does anyone know the meaning of these lines?

I solved manually removing this other different line that was recurrent:
    M566 X1800 Y1800

Does someone know what settings generate it?

I fixed it with a brutal find and replace. But I think that if this instruction are put for some other reason I cannot check it.

Edited by z-uo
    a not very clean fix is found

This must have to do with the Gcode flavor that your printer uses.  Have you figured out what it is?  Cura needs to match the Gcode flavor to the machine the Gcode is intended for and there is a drop down list in Machine Settings. 

Here is a list of the Marlin Gcode commands at Marlin.org and here is the listing for RepRap commands.

M106 is layer cooling fan speed.  M566 is supported by RepRap as a jerk setting.  M204 is an acceleration setting.  All three are normal things you should expect to see.

Within the gcode files do the G1 lines look similar?  Usually "E" means extrude but some machines used "A" instead.  There is also the issue of "volumetric" extrude vs. extrusion by mm.  That has to match as well as the language.

The LCD on my printer has a menu command for "About Printer" and states the version of the firmware (but not the flavor).  When I open the printer port with my host software the printer response includes the flavor and version number:

start
    echo:Marlin 1.1.8

echo: Last Updated: 2019-01-11 | Author: (Ender-3 Pro)
    echo:Compiled: May 30 2019
    echo: Free Memory: 9448  PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
    echo:SD card ok
    Init power off infomation.
    size: 

You could send M115 to the printer as well.

Edited by GregValiant
    Another thought.
    • Like 1

Tanks to all, I use the solution with the search and replace and I put all configs file in this git repo.

So at the end to add this printer to the new version of Cura I can follow this steps:

• Printer Settings: start from Ultimaker printer (because using the Custom FFF do not work) config and set as in original pdf
    • Materials and Profiles: import from these configuration files.

With this config it works well, also with TPU by adding a new Spool Holder findable in the repo.