3d printed minis profile help

Sennris

Posted · 3d printed minis profile help

Iv been trying to 3d print Minis for my DND group, but no matter what i try it seems like Cura generate the top layers of the print. I was wondering if anyone could see what setting could be changed in my profile that could help get a better outcome?

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

toplayers.JPG

the best way i can explain it is that the layers aren't fully forming! It happens with every model. I checked X-Ray vision, nothing is red, and I'm wondering how to fix it? and mesh check said it was all good.

If i'm understanding this right the slice in Cura looks fine, but when you print on your printer you have gaps between the filament paths of the top layers?

Could you share a image of one of the prints you have done because seeing the problem first hand via a image can really help to see and understand the problem better than just words.

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · 3d printed minis profile help

Correct the area where the slicer shows gaps (always seems to be on the top of the model) is where issue happen on the print and I have a duplicator 6 and nozzle size 0.3.

20200724_204018.jpg

Edited by Sennris
    added information

That kinda looks like the filament is getting burnt, do you get much filament stuck to the nozzle after its printed that part?

Also is that PLA or PETG?

• Like 1

I use PLA and i have noticed any filament stuck to the nozzle and if the filament was burning wouldn't it have issue on the sides of the print as well?

1 minute ago, Sennris said:

I use PLA and i have noticed any filament stuck to the nozzle and if the filament was burning wouldn't it have issue on the sides of the print as well?

With the sides its moving about more, as you getting to that top point its starting to make short movements so it could be not cooling down. It defo looks like as you get to the shorter movments the filaments becoming more black.

Could you post your cooling settings?

20200724_204018.thumb.jpg.905ccf8c4df5cfbecaa69aa58caa3c49.jpg

oh! i'm sorry that's my bad that black is a black pen i ran over the top of the print where the issue where cause it was hard to see it with the straight white filament i'm sorry about that.

Edited by Sennris
    added photo

Aww right, that's no problem. It made it look like the filament was maybe getting to hot and dragged off the part by sticking to the nozzle.

If you want you could upload the stl and i could see what it looks like in the slicer and maybe even try printing it myself (even know i only have a 0.4 nozzle. Would be best to upload the .3mf file from Cura, to do that just load your stl into cura and then go to file and save and that way we can see all the settings you have and the model.

• Like 1

please attach the 3mf project file (file/save) we can the see all the settings 

• Like 1

Sure! Thankyou! here the 3mf File and a .stl also im sorry for late reply

Chest_Mimic_Toothy.3mf

Chest_Mimic.stl

Edited by Sennris
    .stl

The part is quite small by the looks of it.

When it printing the sides it takes a bit longer to complete a layer and this allows enough time to cool before more hot plastic is printed on top. But the top section you are seeing which is bad will progressively take less and less time to cool making it ugly.

Depending on your print speed you maybe able to reduce the temp a bit more like 195 or 190deg. I would make sure you are printing at 100% flow ( I always leave on 100%)  also printing 2 at a time, side by side can give extra time for cooling. If you place the second part under the part cooling fan while printing the first part helps more. I also use concentric top layers.

I don't think the attached 3mf file is a project file. 

Edited by Labern
    spelling
    • Like 1

Thankyou! I'll change those settings now and i re linked the file let me know if this one works.

Chest_Mimic_Toothy.3mf

Your Print speed is quite low. So definitely lower the print temp to 190deg. I would have all speeds set to 30mm/s

You also have minimum layer time of 7sec and minimum speed of 2mm/s. I would increase the minimum speed the same as your print speed and put the minimum layer time of 1sec just to be sure it stays at the same speed. 

It the print speed reduces you have a hot nozzle sitting on the plastic for longer heating up the small area. 

You can use the lift head settings if your printer has a robust and accurate Z axis. Then you can use the minimum layer time to make the head lift to allow the part to cool. I dont use this as it can lead to blobs or the odd fat layer but i have never used a duplicator 6. 

Ok so i just changed all those settings as well and i'm go to do a test print to see how the change affect the print.