Change Mouse Rotation, Panning Settings

eduncan911

Posted (edited) · Change Mouse Rotation, Panning Settings

How can I change the mouse rotation (right-click hold, drag) and panning (right-click hold + shift, drag) settings?

This is killing my arthritis-filled fingers.  It's especially bad on my Thinkpad trackpads that require such high holding force, and Yoga-style multi-hand, multi-finger gymnastics to do a simple pan.  No other application, not a single one, has this crazy setup that Cura has.  Or, they have it easily configurable in their settings.

Is there a json file I can edit somewhere for the key/mouse bindings?  Technically, I am using the AppImage version of Cura (on Linux).  but for this, I'll build a new appimage if I have to. 

If you do a search, there are many posts of similar confusion as this is a non-intuitive setup.  Many people starting out in Cura, and many posts asking how to do simple movements like this (I, for one, had to search to find it as well).  These posts date back all the way to 2014, and version 2.x.  Through 3.x. And it continues to 4.x.

Edited by eduncan911

Posted · Change Mouse Rotation, Panning Settings
    15 hours ago, eduncan911 said:

Is there a json file I can edit somewhere for the key/mouse bindings?

There is not. There is no way to configure this; it would need a change in code.

The only consolation I can offer is that for panning, you can use left-click+shift instead of right-click+shift.

• 9 months later...

@nallath, so now it is may 2021, still we would like to be able to configure the mouse functions, to match other software we use. Is it still relatively high on the backlog?

Yes, but unfortunately, other things have been inserted above it.

If people want this faster, the only thing that can be done right now is writing a pull request.

On 5/17/2021 at 3:27 AM, nallath said:

Yes, but unfortunately, other things have been inserted above it.

If people want this faster, the only thing that can be done right now is writing a pull request.

@nallath Can you point me to the file/code in github?

Hey nallath, can you please make options for navigating. Ive avoided Cura for many years due to this, but I've realiced your slicer is the best, except the navigation. 

The user want to customize this themselves due to what you're used to. I would also like to rotate round the model, due to where i click on the model. No orbit around some invisible center point in space makes it impossible to inspect close up. Please fix this. 

Where do I vote this up in some kind of backlog?

48 minutes ago, thomasljung said:

No orbit around some invisible center point in space makes it impossible to inspect close up.

I know.  "Orbit center point not in part" is annoying but you can inspect close up if you do:

Try shift+ right mouse drag

You can also use a space mouse (6 axis mouse instead of the normal 2 axis mouse)

Is this still in the backlong? Right click to orbit is counter intuitive for any other modeling and slicing software. 

Posted (edited) · Change Mouse Rotation, Panning Settings
    10 hours ago, daashmor said:

Is this still in the backlong? Right click to orbit is counter intuitive for any other modeling and slicing software. 

Smartarse response: I know you can make some other modelling software (FreeCAD at the very least) behave like Cura.

Yes, I know that's not the answer you're looking for.

On 1/23/2023 at 7:40 AM, gr5 said:

You can also use a space mouse (6 axis mouse instead of the normal 2 axis mouse)

Suggestion to make your life harder: I know some software supports joysticks for this sort of thing. Gives you another 3-4 axes to work with.

Or... don't even get me started about my HOTAS. Gives me... has to start counting 9 different axes of control (joystick X/Y/twist, throttle, two scroll wheels, one slider and a little nub which most things have you move like a mouse (so it does two axes).

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow
    added bit about HOTAS