Print starts centered and then drifts off to the left

Posted · Print starts centered and then drifts off to the left

Hello, made an account so I could ask this question not sure where else to turn. 
Very new to 3D printing, just got a brand new Labists ET4 printer and was excited to start printing projects. First of all, I printed the preloaded projects that came with the sd card and it printed perfectly. 
I searched online and found that Cura is the best software to use when slicing. I searched on what Printer to set it up as (since labists ET4 is not an option when selecting a printer) and it said that the Anet ET4 works well with it. When I slice my project it looks great on Cura but when I print the project, from the first lines (using brim as a base) it starts off centered and then starts to drift off to the left every single time. If anyone uses the latest version of Cura for the same printer can you please share your settings so I can compare? Or if you have any suggestions on the settings for the print I would greatly appreciate it. 
I use PLA filament, 1.75 mm 
I run my nozzle heat at 200 degrees 

and my bed temp at 75 degrees. 
my bed is level and like I said, it printed the preloaded items just fine before I had this problem. I try to mess with settings but at the same time I don’t know what I am doing with it and am wasting filament at this point. 

Posted (edited) · Print starts centered and then drifts off to the left

When you start with 3D-printing, you will waste some filament during the finetuning of your printer!

Please add photograph of what happens, I have no clue what you mean by "drifting of"...

When you have your file loaded in Cura, do a "save project" and upload that .3MF-file here!

Edited by Mari

57 minutes ago, Mari said:

When you start with 3D-printing, you will waste some filament during the finetuning of your printer!

Please add photograph of what happens, I have no clue what you mean by "drifting of"...

When you have your file loaded in Cura, do a "save project" and upload that .3MF-file here!

Wasn’t sure how to reply but above is the picture of what is happening, I’m not home right now but I can upload the .3MF here later today. 

Labist/Anet... if you look at pictures of both they look the same... so in theory selecting the Anet ET4 printer should work!

Temps of Nozzle and Bed are of nu influence of your problem, the drifting off... Why is it doing this? You say everything looks okay in Cura, but when printing it goes wrong! We have to figure out what happens. So upload the 3MF-file so one of the experts on this forum can take a look at it and see if  they can spot something!

14 minutes ago, Mari said:

Labist/Anet... if you look at pictures of both they look the same... so in theory selecting the Anet ET4 printer should work!

Temps of Nozzle and Bed are of nu influence of your problem, the drifting off... Why is it doing this? You say everything looks okay in Cura, but when printing it goes wrong! We have to figure out what happens. So upload the 3MF-file so one of the experts on this forum can take a look at it and see if  they can spot something!

Will do when I am home later today. But just so I know how do I upload a .3MF file? This is happening to the other prints I have tried as well. So idk if it’s a setting in cura but I’m sure we can figure it out! Thanks for replying! 

If you reply in this thread you have the option to attach a file to the message! Simply by dragging it into the reply-box...

AET4_hibanana_x_solid_L.3mf

Here is the .3MF file. 

1 hour ago, Mari said:

If you reply in this thread you have the option to attach a file to the message! Simply by dragging it into the reply-box...

sorry forgot to reply to your post but above is the .3MF file. 

Hi KingofSpade218,

This look likes the hole model come loose from the bed and been slamming some around during printing...  -Or as a mechanical problem in your printer...

Check for any loose set screw in the X/Y stepper linkage..

Just my two pence.

Good luck

Thanks

Torgeir

7 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Hi KingofSpade218,

This look likes the hole model come loose from the bed and been slamming some around during printing...  -Or as a mechanical problem in your printer...

Check for any loose set screw in the X/Y stepper linkage..

Just my two pence.

Good luck

Thanks

Torgeir

Will check the hardware for anything loose and try again thanks! 

Hi KingofSpade218,

I've come to think about some other issues as you have a brand new printer..

If there's to high friction in the various sliding bearing, -not lubricated as it's supposed to be (such friction can make the stepper motor loosing steps). So check this point about lubrication according to the user manual.

Lastly, also check that the current setting for the stepper motors is properly set; "too lo current may result in loosing step and too high current might damage your stepper driver circuit over time". Current setting might be adjusted by setting in printer menu, or by adjusting a trim resistor on the main PCB (printed circuit board).

Well, this is all I can think about for now.

PS. This is the first time I've seen this printer, -but this thing is "quite" general for mostly all 3D printers.

Good luck.

Thanks

Torgeir

6 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Hi KingofSpade218,

I've come to think about some other issues as you have a brand new printer..

If there's to high friction in the various sliding bearing, -not lubricated as it's supposed to be (such friction can make the stepper motor loosing steps). So check this point about lubrication according to the user manual.

Lastly, also check that the current setting for the stepper motors is properly set; "too lo current may result in loosing step and too high current might damage your stepper driver circuit over time". Current setting might be adjusted by setting in printer menu, or by adjusting a trim resistor on the main PCB (printed circuit board).

Well, this is all I can think about for now.

PS. This is the first time I've seen this printer, -but this thing is "quite" general for mostly all 3D printers.

Good luck.

Thanks

Torgeir

will look into this, thank you for the help!

So you have a hardware problem.  One of the axes is moving.  This can be a stepper losing steps (if you fight the stepper hard enough it will suddenly slip to a new position) or it could be a loose pulley.

Usually it's a loose pulley.  First important thing is to realize if the problem is X or Y axis.  If your bed moves then it's usually that axis (Y axis).  So then tighten the hell out of the pulley on that stepper.  When I say "tighten pulley" I mean tighten the setscrew that is on the pulley.  Very very tight.  So tight you are afraid you will break something.  The tool should twist a bit.

Also make sure the belt isn't so loose that it can skip a tooth.

Ironically, belts too tight can cause higher friction which can cause a stepper to lose steps.  And having the current set too low can caused missed steps.  But most printers arrive with the stepper drivers set up properly.  Most likely it's a loose pulley.

5 hours ago, gr5 said:

So you have a hardware problem.  One of the axes is moving.  This can be a stepper losing steps (if you fight the stepper hard enough it will suddenly slip to a new position) or it could be a loose pulley.

Usually it's a loose pulley.  First important thing is to realize if the problem is X or Y axis.  If your bed moves then it's usually that axis (Y axis).  So then tighten the hell out of the pulley on that stepper.  When I say "tighten pulley" I mean tighten the setscrew that is on the pulley.  Very very tight.  So tight you are afraid you will break something.  The tool should twist a bit.

Also make sure the belt isn't so loose that it can skip a tooth.

Ironically, belts too tight can cause higher friction which can cause a stepper to lose steps.  And having the current set too low can caused missed steps.  But most printers arrive with the stepper drivers set up properly.  Most likely it's a loose pulley.

the pulley belt has 4 screws that moves the x,y. i tightened those screws as tight as i could and am trying another print right now. hopefully that is the problem and this print will work out. so far the print is going good and looks to be centered and symmetrical. will post a pic once it is done but so far it looks to be running better than it was.  

printed a lot better this go around. Still a lot to learn in printing, but I believe the hardware was the problem!

I appreciate all your help and advise! 

945AB44E-B789-4F88-BC1F-92549644CC1D.jpeg

Now you have a new issue - the bottom layer is underextruded.  90% of the time this is due to leveling.  You want it to squish the bottom layer more.  Otherwise your parts are likely to come loose.  So if you have manual leveling - level another 0.1mm closer to the bed.  If you have autoleveling - tell cura to over extrude the bottom layer - e.g. flow=150% (but bottom layer only).

11 hours ago, gr5 said:

Now you have a new issue - the bottom layer is underextruded.  90% of the time this is due to leveling.  You want it to squish the bottom layer more.  Otherwise your parts are likely to come loose.  So if you have manual leveling - level another 0.1mm closer to the bed.  If you have autoleveling - tell cura to over extrude the bottom layer - e.g. flow=150% (but bottom layer only).

Okay, been a few days and a few prints later I’ve had that problem with it. So do I adjust my nozzle closer to the bed? The labists ET4 has auto and manual. Auto leveling checks 9 points of the bed (I believe). And then in manual of course I adjust the height of the nozzle and I can select all 4 corners and the nozzle comes down to a stop that I set it to.  Then I have knobs under all corners and when I twist them the bed goes up and down. So should I have cura do the bottom layer or should I adjust it manually? 

The bed is fine I can check that again tomorrow but just read your post again I can set the nozzle down just 0.1mm. Thank you for pointing that out! I thought it was normal till it happened to every print. And came back here to ask that very question. 

• Like 1

I have photos of what the bottom layer should look like - adjust height until you get the right "look".  See 1:07 in this video:

https://youtu.be/t58-WTxDy-k?t=67