UM2 material and feed issues

braddock

Posted · UM2 material and feed issues

Hi everyone.

I've been having frequent issues with the feeder grinding out filament, then having to pull it it and reload it. This has happened probably 3 times in the last week, twice in the last 3 days.

Also, my prints often begin printing before material starts extruding, I often have to abort 2 or 3 times to get a good clean start to my prints.

See pic of typically shredded PLA

PLA shred

It's hard to see in the pic but it looks like the feeder is putting very hard pressure on the filament. What position is the tensioning screw set at? If it's set at maximum pressure I'd try backing it off and see if that helps.

Also, it's strange that it's chewing up the filament rather than skipping back, I don't think I've seen anyone with an UM2 have it eat filament like that.

Hi guys, it's the orange PLA available in the ultimaker store. I ordered it with my UM2 I've had some really good prints with it.

In the first few days of owning my printer, I was able to print with temps as low as 190, but for some reason, I think this would cause issues now.

gadgetfreak, I just noticed the photo you added of the material guide. I've only just installed this.

Feeder.

feeder

This is strange - illuminarti did a print with tens of thousands of retractions and it came out great. I think you need to open up that feeder but beware that the stepper may fall down and you may have to remove the white metal left rear cover to get it all back together.

I did two succesful prints last night. The problem seems to be aggravated byt the frequently blocked nozzle.

Exactly what happen to me.

Feed issue and blocked nozzle..

i'm starting to think that is something related to the filaments..

Have you only used the orangle Ultimaker PLA with it or have you used other filament at some point?

What is your room temperature? Are you printing indoors at a "room temperature"?

Is the middle fan in the hotend working?

You might also want to buy some 0.3mm syringes (or acupuncture needles) at a local pharmacy store to clean the nozzle while it's hot.