Travel speed limited to 300mm/s

loron

Posted · Travel speed limited to 300mm/s

cura 4.8.0

Profile Voron2 350

Travel speed setting > 300mm/s is marked red and slicing is not possible

Allready checked the the printer settings with the extension from the markedplace.

max-X/Y = 2997924580mm/s

Printspeed > 200mm/s creaes also a warning.

How can I change this limit ?

image.png.f6f8cae3e6dc0e051dcb79f81cc4fc0f.png

If you work for voron2 or want to fix this for everyone I have one answer but if you just want to fix it for you then instead do this:

Click "marketplace" in upper right of cura, make sure you are on "plugins", scroll down and alphabetically among the "P"s is "printer settings" plugin.  Install and restart cura.

Now you can alter your max speeds:

598184092_Screenshotfrom2020-12-2212-49-15.png.fa8a73a525e2d3630771742efdaaf6a5.png

While you are in there, update your actual acceleration and jerk settings from your printer into cura and cura will do a better job of predicting how long your prints should take.

As I wrote, I already did this.
    Since the latest version of cura, there ar no limitations by default.

image.png.2ffe9ab7e596455f6b8f2db01012607d.png

I Also tried to enter 600mm/s.
    But travelspeeds over 300mm/s are not accepted.

Some printers have a lower max travel speed because their firmware doesn't accept the higher travel speeds. So in that case it's not Cura, it's the firmware.

• Like 1

If you want to go other this limit you must change in the JSON file voron2_base.def.json this line :

image.thumb.png.f34f6013856de7c3621f0b76062c48fa.png

Change the maximum_value_warning and by the way the maximum_value

Posted (edited) · Travel speed limited to 300mm/s

I wrote a little app for calibrating Accel and Jerk.  After some trial and error the max speed I allow is 400mm/sec.  At 400mm/sec, 3000 Accel and 30 Jerk the Ender3Pro will average 340mm/sec in a round trip from 0,0 to 230,230 and back.  At speeds above 400, the stops and starts are so abrupt that the belts skip and the machine can definitely hurt itself.  It's ugly.  A larger build surface would allow higher top speeds but in my particular case, the hardware can't take it.  The heavier Y axis is especially problematic.  Prints might self-release.

I will not be taking the printer out to Bonneville any time soon.

Here.  It is an unsigned Windows (only) app in VB.net and uses Marlin commands.  There are a few different race courses.  The circles use G2 and G3 commands.  Sending commands for the Nürburgring course was a problem.

That's out of the way. 

So @gr5, did you know (or did you have to look it up) that the indicated speed was the speed of light? (actually 1/100 the speed of light (and I did have to look it up) but that's close enough for me).

Edited by GregValiant

I didn't look it up but I knew the speed is 2.9X10^many_zeroes M/sec and this is mm/sec so should be another 3 zeroes.  But you are right - they only added one zero instead of 3 so this is 1% speed of light.  Still, unlikely any printer can go faster than this, lol.

I had to look it up.  Even if I lived in a metric world I'm pretty sure I still would have had to look it up.  I've "Done the Ton" many times but the speed of light is a bit beyond.

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

• Like 1

It's the new UM WARP1.0x for 2021 😂

I have a similar problem as well. I am using an Anycubic Mega X with Knutwurst's Marlin Fork. I changed the firmware to have 250mm/s feedrate and 800mm/s² of acceleration in both X and Y. Then I changed the setting in Cura 5.4 as well with the printer settings plugin, but the travel speed setting turns red when I increase the speed to 160mm/s. What's going on?

There are other places where you need to make changes.

The "Mega X" printer inherits the "Mega S" printer which in turn inherits the FDM Printer definition file.

Within the override section of the Mega X definition file is:

"speed_travel":
                "maximum_value": 120.0,

So you need to alter your definition file and make the maximum_value a higher number.  Then you need to copy the file into the Configuration Folder / definition_changes folder so it will carry-over when you upgrade to a new version of Cura.

You should probably over-ride the "maximum_value_warning" speed warnings as well as they are all below 250.  They won't keep you from slicing but all the boxes will be yellow.