UM2+ Nozzle and Print Bed will only heat manually

Posted · UM2+ Nozzle and Print Bed will only heat manually

hi, I could use some help.

I'm using an UM2+. I went to print the other day and the feeder motor wouldn't turn on to advance my material. Then I noticed that the nozzle and the print bed were not even heating up. I went into Maintenance and was able to manually heat up both the nozzle and the print bed to confirm that they are working. Then I opened up the bottom of the printer to confirm that all wires are well connected, nothing unseated, etc. The machine will let me run a print file, but when I ask it to run a file, it completely skips heating the print bed & nozzle, and so both remain cold. Not to mention the fact that I still can't advance any material into the machine. 

I do understand that the feed motor won't advance material if the print head is cold- so that may explain why the feeder isn't turning on. But I can't figure out why the printer is skipping any and all heat up when asked to print? Is this a firmware issue?

any ideas?

thanks

Hi,

This is strange, I've seen into your previous posting that you had a problem with heating the heat bed..

How did you solve this problem then?

I'll don't think it is a firmware issue, unless you tried to alter printer setting using gcode..

Have you tried to control the printer using "Pronterface" via USB?

Thanks

Torgeir

Hi- Yes, I previously had problems with the print bed and just ended up replacing the whole print bed.

I was actually wondering if it isn't the print bed again, that is the issue. I believe that the nozzle won't start heating up until the print bed is at 170, is that right? So if the print bed doesn't heat up, or somehow gets skipped over in the beginning operations of a print, then the nozzle won't either. Maybe....

No I have no tried to control the printer using Pronterface. I have no experience with Pronterface.

Print bed 170 deg. C.?  The normal temp for the bed when using PLA is 60 deg. Celsius.. (If you're using PLA)

If the bed is set for to hi temp, it may never reach this setting..

As you've said, might never start heating the nozzle.

Posted (edited) · UM2+ Nozzle and Print Bed will only heat manually

You may also check the setting for the material in the printer menu, select the type of material, then roll down and select "customize", here you can check and adjust the filament and bed temperature in deg. Celsius for the type of material selected.

Edit:

Maybe you live in US and using deg. F., then 170 make sense, -but caution here as the UM2+ use deg. Celsius.  (Freezing point -a mixture of ice and water is; 0 deg. Celsius and boiling water is 100 deg. Celsius.)

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Added text.

Can you think of a reason why the unit would skip heating up the nozzle and bed before starting a print?

And I mean completely skip it, as soon as I select the file to be printed it raises the build plate and moves the print head into position for printing. It's never done this before.

Hi.

As you have a genuine UM2+, so I would try to reset the printer as the "adjustable" variables is kept in a flash ram.

This will renew "important" parameters for the firmware and It's worth a try..

So lets see then..

Torgeir