Slice at an angle

msundman

Posted · Slice at an angle

A question for Cura experts, is it possible to make a plugin that will intercept stl, rotate the model by a given angle, then the slicing process and reverse gcode rotation, then output for viewing ?

Automate the process with scripts from the post above.

6 hours ago, sinus50hz said:

A question for Cura experts, is it possible to make a plugin that will intercept stl, rotate the model by a given angle, then the slicing process and reverse gcode rotation, then output for viewing ?

Automate the process with scripts from the post above.

It's not as simple as just putting those two scripts in a plugin - the maths might be the same, but those just modify basic model files. With Cura you'd have to take into account walls, infill, that sort of thing, not to mention any modifier meshes that might be present all being converted properly.

The most complicated thing would be supports.

Blackbelt Cura basically is a plugin that does what you suggest. It patched so many things that it was a pain in the rear to maintain. Unfortunately, Blackbelt could no longer afford having me maintain it, and I ran out of steam too.

• Like 1

I understand that most complicated thing would be supports.

but for printing at an angle of 45 degrees, supports are not needed or are needed very rarely.

Therefore, I am talking about the simplest implementation of the plugin, without support.

1 hour ago, sinus50hz said:

I understand that most complicated thing would be supports.

but for printing at an angle of 45 degrees, supports are not needed or are needed very rarely.

Therefore, I am talking about the simplest implementation of the plugin, without support.

The majority of my projects would need more support when printed at that sort of angle, so like most things there's hardly a "one size fits all" answer.

Also: I've spent more than enough time on forums to know that if you make a version which doesn't support supports (pun intended) then people will harass you about it not having supports. And berate you for how long it takes to implement such a feature - if you can do it at all. Nothing kills your motivation for doing something than being abused for not having done it already.

I'm not saying that you personally would engage in such behaviour, but there's a whole lot of people who aren't you out on the internet. And please don't forget programming rule #6: the degree of simplicity something sounds like is the degree of difficulty when doing it.

Posted (edited) · Slice at an angle

I understand you.

I assumed this cutting mode for the fgf 3D printer, for printing large-sized products.

With this 3D printing, the support is created along with the model.

Edited by sinus50hz

@sinus50hz as you maybe know i posted a reply in this thread a while ago. i found a way to slice with cura and use a post processor that a friend of my wrote. it works perfectly.

You put your model in 45" in the slicer, and the post processor turns it back again and devides the X+Y over the X, Y and Z. 

i do pay him alot of money for it as i'm using it proffessionaly. But if you are really interested i can have him reach out!

@Slashee_the_Cow in terms of support, for now you have to put custom supports, aka. you load in a model / or build somithing with erasers/support blockers. Then print that together as normal parts. You do have to think twice or triple about placement and keep the 45'' angle in mind. What i do is i keep a mm or 2 between my part and the ''support'' object. But the ''support'' itself is printed as a part at the same time with the same layer widht etc.

Edited by stenkluts
    extra info

3 hours ago, stenkluts said:

But if you are really interested i can have him reach out!

I hope to finish my script.

On 6/11/2024 at 9:44 AM, ahoeben said:

The most complicated thing would be supports.

Is it possible to change the form of model transformation in BlackBelt Cura,
    or rather replace it with model rotation? I started trying.

Don’t judge strictly, I’m not a programmer,
    I used to program a little for microcontrollers and that’s all my experience.

As I understand it, the main place where the conversion occurs is BlackBeltDecorator.py
    matrix.setColumn(1, [0, 1 / math.tan(self._gantry_angle), 1, (machine_depth / 2) * (1 - math.cos(self._gantry_angle))])

matrix.setColumn(2, [0, - 1 / math.sin(self._gantry_angle), 0, machine_depth / 2])

and StartSliceJob.py
    verts[:, [1, 2]] = verts[:, [2, 1]]
    verts[:, 1] *= -1

it gives this result

cura.PNG

Then I just commented out one line
    matrix.setColumn(1, [0, 1 / math.tan(self._gantry_angle), 1, (machine_depth / 2) * (1 - math.cos(self._gantry_angle))])

#matrix.setColumn(2, [0, - 1 / math.sin(self._gantry_angle), 0, machine_depth / 2])

Снимок3.PNG

Already close to a 45 degree turn but the proportions are wrong
    matrix.setColumn(1, [0, 1 / math.sin(self._gantry_angle), 1, (machine_depth / 2) * (1 - math.cos(self._gantry_angle))])

matrix.setColumn(2, [0, - 1 / math.cos(self._gantry_angle), 1, (machine_depth / 2)])

Снимок1.PNG

At the same time, in the preview everything looks and is located correctly.

cura2.PNG

After talking with gpt4o, I wrote down
    matrix.setColumn(1, [0, math.cos(self._gantry_angle), -math.sin(self._gantry_angle), (machine_depth / 2) * (1 - math.cos(self._gantry_angle))])

matrix.setColumn(2, [0, math.sin(self._gantry_angle), math.cos(self._gantry_angle), machine_depth / 2])

In this case, the model turns out to be rotated 45 degrees with the correct proportions and the supports are also generated correctly.

Снимокbb2.PNG

Edited by sinus50hz

But there is a problem, in the preview the gcode does not fall into place.

Снимокbb.PNG

Sorry, no longer relevant.

Edited by sinus50hz

Seems like an awful lot of gymnastics.

If it is just a translation off the build plate it can be adjusted by changing the Home Offsets in the printer with M206.  You could bring that gcode to the middle of the bed and with the first layer on the build plate where it belongs.

It's the same trick as is used to print an "Origin at Center" gcode on a regular cartesian printer.  When you move the origin you move the entire print.

But the required M206 location might change when you run the post-processor.  It would depend on what else you are doing to that poor gcode file.