A nice feature to possibly add in the future?

jirodriguez72

Posted · A nice feature to possibly add in the future?

So I use an Ultimaker S5 Pro bundle at work, and have a Prusa MK3 at home. The one feature that I really wish Ultimaker  had (that is on my Prusa) is the live Z adjust - Prusa lets you twist the input nob to adjust the Z mid print by .1mm per click of the knob. What's super nice is that it adjusts at a controlled rate across the entire bed vs. trying to twist the adjustment knobs on the Ultimaker and hope you keep the bed level and you have no idea of exactly how far you adjusted.

Ultimaker could build it into the firmware so there was a menu you could access during printing that let you use the up and down arrow to make the adjustments. The actual adjustment is made with the Z stepper motor.

Anyway just my two cents on what I think would be a really nice feature to have! 😀

Basically we have all seen times where the first layer isn't printing quite right, either too smooshed or maybe a little bit gappy. This can occur even after leveling your bed - especially if you switch between materials very often. Right now you see a lot of people talking about reaching in and tweaking the bed leveling screws to either lower or raise the bed while it is printing the first layer. That works but is is not accurate and then after the print is done you have to manually level your bed again because you probably did not turn all three knobs by the exact same amount.

Live Z adjustment does the exact same thing as turning the knobs but it does it in a controlled way across the entire surface. So as your watching that all critical first layer print you can make those minute adjustments to get it perfect without messing up your bed leveling. It is basically the Z offset setting in Cura, but you can do it while the printer is printing so you can see the results as you make the adjustments.

• Like 2

Wouldn't do a reduction of the flow have the same effect?

And no, I don't see that effect on my Pro Bundle unless the first layer flow setting is crap for the profile used.

• 2 weeks later...

The idea of Active Leveling in the S-line printers is that no manual adjustments should be required. As @Dim3nsioneer suggests, it seems like you have a poor configured material profile.

Tweaking the Z-axis is simple to implement in the printer software, but it's fixing a symptom rather than the real problem. It will change the Z-dimensions of your print and you'll have to repeat it for every print job with this material.

• Thanks 1

Carlok said:

Tweaking the Z-axis is simple to implement in the printer software, but it's fixing a symptom rather than the real problem.

-------------------------

This can not be said in any better way and should be an advice to so many service agencies that make "immediate" improvements ..

Thanks

Torgeir