Change default settings for overlaps

mark-o-solo

Posted · Change default settings for overlaps

Greetings dear builders,

I would like to change the default settings for the overlaps in Cura. Currently, whenever I select the overlap settings for infill only, I get wall thickness, wall line count and top/bottom thickness.

However, I work with big models and heavily rely on local changes in the print settings. So I would like a set of parameters and their values to pop up as default other than what is there now.

Can I change these with a config and how ?

Cheers from Switzerland

16 hours ago, mark-o-solo said:

Can I change these with a config and how ?

No, you can't, sorry.

That default set is hardcoded into Cura because without it you would get shells around the modified infill.

Thank you for your quick reply. Is there any way around this limitation ? By means of a plugin or similar ?

Or is there a way at least to save the project in such a way that it can be reopened with all funcitonality ? Because the way it is now is that when I reopen a project with all the local changes, it appears hardcoded. I cannot change the geometry nor the settings of the individual regions with different infill settings.

I don't quite understand the question and should say ahoeben is an expert.  However can't you just do "file" "save project..." in cura and later when you want to slice something else load that project first and then delete the model and add another model to slice instead?

It seems like maybe you tried that but I'm not certain.

Posted (edited) · Change default settings for overlaps

If I save/export my project as a .3mf and open it at a later time with cura, I do not have my stl object with all the zones with different infill settings. What I have instead is a concatenated single object with the localized zones being part of it.

Ive attached an image of the reopened project and what I mean. For example, for the top tilted rectangle I cannot change the number of layers if a change there is necessary. The button on the left is greyed out completely, and a geometric adjustment is also not possible, since the object is geometrically fused.

Untitled.png

Edited by mark-o-solo

Ah!  A bug.  Okay.  I haven't personally encountered this although I think someone else mentioned this in the past.

Maybe post your 3mf and report this bug on github?  it might already be an existing issue.   Here's a quick search I did - nothing obvious looking only at titles of issues:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues?q=is%3Aissue+project+in%3Atitle

To add a new issue you have to create a (free) github account.  Ultimaker programmers pay far more attention to github versus the forum.

Oh, a bug it is ?

Ive attached the .3mf in question. But I am uncertain how much that will help since this issue occurs with any and every project Ive tried to save.

nautilus_beyma_15H_loop_L_front_rein.3mf

Well I don't use modifier meshes very often (like almost never) so I never ran into this bug.  I suspect it only happens when you have modifier meshes.

There is a big difference between "File -> Save as..." on the one hand and "File -> Export..." and selecting 3MF as the file format on the other hand. File -> Save as... creates a project; a 3MF file containing all your settings, the printer used, etc. File -> Export... only saves the model geometry and a little bit of extra metadata.

The 3mf file you posted seems to be an Export, not a project file. If you would have saved it as a project, the file would have loaded back into Cura much more like it was when you saved it.

Posted (edited) · Change default settings for overlaps

If I might poke my nose in.

@mark-o-solo In the file you did save - the models are a "Group" and after selecting them you can right-click on the model and choose the "UnGroup Models" command at the bottom of the menu.  That will separate the mesh modifiers from the model and make them all selectable again.

That is a big model.

Edited by GregValiant

You don't need to ungroup them either. You can select a single model within a group by CTRL-clicking it.

• Like 1

Ah-ha.  Thank you AHoeben.  That'll work.

33 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

You don't need to ungroup them either. You can select a single model within a group by CTRL-clicking it.

One of the very first things I learned from you. I was telling people to go around the block just to open the front door, so to speak...😂

• Like 1

Hey guys, thanks a bunch, the ctrl+click methods appears to enable me to reselect all parts individually.

That is a big model.

Thats what she said ^^

I belive this answers all my questions since these settings are hardcoded but I now can reopen my projects.

Cheers

PS: In case anyone is interested, here's a pic of what I am trying to produce:

proto2.jpg

A Nautiphone.  Kind of like a Sousaphone only different.  Thanks for posting.

A Modix 120x.  I was wondering what you were going to print that on.