Printing with Mosaic Palette 2 Pro

the860engine

Posted · Printing with Mosaic Palette 2 Pro

I really want to purchase a Mosaic Palette 2 Pro, but am concerned that I wont be able to access or download the profiles for the 1.75mm material I would need to print with, should I buy. Does anybody have any experience with the Palette or any recommendations for where to purchase materials to use with it?

Thanks, I really want to upgrade my S3 to be able to create multi-color prints, but don't want to spend hundreds on the Palette just to run into problems.

AFAIK, the Palette Pro does not support 2.85mm filament. If it did, it would be even more wasteful with filament printing waste towers than it already is. Theoretically you could try to convert the Ultimaker S3 to use 1.75mm material, but that is certainly not a trivial undertaking to get working reliably. You would have to modify printcores and feeders. And then there is the issue of the Palette Pro needing to send gcode to the S3 via a USB port that the S3 just does not support. Profiles for materials would be the least of your problems.

TL;DR: the Ultimaker S-line is not compatible with the Palette Pro, and you would run into lots of problems trying to use them together.

I was looking at the S3 conversion kit to make it so I can use 1.75mm materials, and the mosaic hub to use for interaction between the palette pro and my S3. Do you have any experience with either of these addons?

The canvas hub connects over USB to the serial port of the printer to send gcode commands to it one at a time. The S3 does not have a USB port that can be used to send gcode commands to it one at a time. The USB port on the S3 can only be used to host eg a thumbdrive.

I do not have experience with either of these addons. I do know how they work, and I have an S5 (for which the CANVAS Hub also does not work).

Much to my surprise though, the Mosaic Manufacturing website seems to suggest they support the S5 and the S3 at least with the Palette 2. I'm not sure how it could work since there is no way to sync the gcode on the S3 and the Palette. But I guess it does not really need to be synced precisely. I am still pretty sure the CANVAS hub will not work (due to the lack of aforementioned serial port over USB on the S-line of printers).

I recommend you ask the Mosaic Manufacturing people about compatibility. They'll be able to tell you what will and what will not work with the combination of your S3 and their products.

Hey there, this is Frank, one of the Customer Success Agents of Mosaic Manufacturing. We hope that you and your family are doing well.

I have noticed that this thread has an interesting discussion with regard to our Palette. Please be advised that we have Ultimaker adapter kits available here: mm3d.co/partstore. An overview of the different kits and instructions can also be found here: mm3d.co/um

Canvas Hub S is not compatible with Ultimaker S5. While UM S5 has a USB port for flash drives, I don't believe that same port can't be used to communicate for printing. Canvas Hub S uses Octoprint, and unfortunately it doesn't appear to be compatible at this time. Do you have other printers available to you that are Canvas Hub S/Octoprint compatible? As long as the printer has a USB port that can be used to send G-Code to, and its communication protocols are non-proprietary, it should be compatible. For Ultimaker 3 it may be possible with some additional configuration, and using a baudrate of 115200 to connect: https://github.com/pbackx/OctoPrint-Um3

We encourage our 3D Printing community users to raise any inquiries and/or concerns about our products via support@mosaicmfg.com between Monday to Friday 10 AM to 6 PM EST. We'll be more than glad to address these as soon as we can. For more information about our products, you may check this link. Thanks!

Note that some people get the UM3 confused with the Ultimaker S3.  The S3 much more closely resembles the S5.  If pallette doesn't work with S5 then it won't work with S3 either.

Their conversion kit for 1.75mm filament however will work for all 3: UM3/S3/S5.  It sticks down into the existing Ultimaker cores which can be used on any of those 3 machines.

Getting it to work with Cura is a little trickier.  One simple method is to just set the filament flow to (2.85/1.75)^2 which I vaguely remember is around 257%

If you want to use a pallette, maybe buy a printer just for using with the pallette.

12 hours ago, cfrank_mosaicmfg said:

Canvas Hub S is not compatible with Ultimaker S5

Please correct me if I am wrong Frank. The Canvas Hub S is not compatible with the Ultimaker 3, Ultimaker S5, Ultimaker S3 or Ultimaker 2+ Connect. This is an incompatibility on the hardware level, because there is no way for the Canvas Hub to connect with the printer.

The Canvas Hub S is compatible to a degree with the Ultimaker Original, 2 and 2+ (without "connect"). But they need to be converted to use 1.75 mm material before they can be used with the Palette.

The Ultimaker 3, S5, S3 and 2+ Connect can be made to work with the Palette as long as you don't use the Hub, and they are converted to use 1.75 mm material. You do miss some functionality and need to manually start prints on both the printer and the palette hardware at the same time.

It seems like I will still need to pursue purchasing another 3D printer to achieve the multi-color prints I am looking for. Thank you, everyone for your input. A little disappointed that my S3 probably won't be able to do everything I was hoping it could. Does anybody have any experience with Creality, Makerbot or any other printer brands working well with Palette 2?

Or any other references I can read into about making it work with my S3?

@the860engine - it sounds like you can use mosaic pallete but not the "hub"?  Maybe you should email Mosaic and let us know what they say.

@gr5 You are right, and I have been scanning through the links that Frank posted about using Palette with the Ultimaker. It looks like I should be able to use the Palette. I plan on digging into it a little deeper and will be sure to post what I find.

I have the 1.75 conversion kit and have used it from time to time on my S3, its easy to install on the printer but keep in mind in doing so you need to turn off the filament flow sensor or it will be thinking its run out of filament all the time so keep in mind you will lose that feature of the printer.

As for software side of it, in Cura i edited the printer settings for the print core to say it's using a 1.75

602543401_Screenshot2021-03-20at17_25_34.thumb.png.3ff6a09369dc7cdb2df43897683c1ba3.png

and to be extra sure i added a 1.75 material profile also. Note when you edit the extruder settings that cura will when display the material profiles for filaments design for 1.75 printers.

• Like 2

hey @Carla_Birch did you do the conversion in order to be able to use the palette? if so i'd be really interested to see some images.

I'm also currently in limbo deciding whether to get a um2+ connect, or a prusa - the only reason i'd choose prusa over the um2+ connect is the ability to use the mosiac palette since I am keen to do some more experimental printing.

10 minutes ago, Evavoo said:

hey @Carla_Birch did you do the conversion in order to be able to use the palette? if so i'd be really interested to see some images.

I'm also currently in limbo deciding whether to get a um2+ connect, or a prusa - the only reason i'd choose prusa over the um2+ connect is the ability to use the mosiac palette since I am keen to do some more experimental printing.

I don’t use it with the palette I got it mostly because 1.75mm have a bigger range of filament and also because I had a number of spool left from a old printer. So it was mostly to give me a wider range of filaments. But it was very easy to change to and from 2.85 and 1.75 and back again.

Hey Carla,

Thanks for the speedy response. that's really usefull to know.