5axes plug in for CSV outputs out a semicolon for a separator

ajawamnet

Posted · 5axes plug in for CSV outputs out a semicolon for a separator

He's trying to tell me in a git Issue I filed:

"That's normal . Csv should be export with semicolon as separate. Comma is used in some countries as decimal separator. So use it at parameter separator is not a good idea."

Uh... here's what I wrote back:

No, in a REAL CSV it is NOT NORMAL to use a semicolon as a separator

I've been using CSV files for databases since 1988.  You stating:

"That's normal . Csv should be export with semicolon as separate. Comma is used in some countries as decimal separator. So use it at parameter separator is not a good idea."

is NOT CORRECT.

Wiki article on CSV:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values

Where:
"A comma-separated values (CSV) file is a delimited text file that uses a comma to separate values."

An example of YOUR format:
Section;Extruder;Key;Type;Value
general;0;Date;str;09/04/2021 20:29:55
general;0;Os;str;Windows 10.0.18362
general;0;Cura_Version;str;4.8.0
general;0;Profile;str;P-I10-6N-1h-2w-F30-2HC-B-A-SG25
general;0;Quality;str;Normal

IS INCORRECT - it is a "SEMICOLON SEPARATED FORMAT"  

NOW,  see the wiki article on other delimiter  separated formats:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delimiter-separated_values

As to what a CSV SHOULD LOOK LIKE, here's an example of one of a FEW THOUSAND  CSV FILES I have from ALTIUM that I've generated over the past 30 years:

Part Type,Designator,Footprint
10UF-1206,"C1, C2, C3, C4",1206
B550C-13-F,D1,SMC
1812L300/24SLER,F1,POLYMSMDC
1812L075/33DR,F2,POLYMSMDC
FB-1206,"FB1, FB2, FB3, FB4",1206
PNX1715721,J1,PNXEMKDS2-508

Note the use of double quotes  ( " ) used as a qualifier for fields that include a comma.  Go ahead, bring THAT file into something like Excel, Access, MySQL, or any other database/spreadsheet program and you'll see it imports correctly.

YOURS DOES NOT!!

[gr5 - removed unrelated link]

• ajawamnet changed the title to 5axes plug in for CSV outputs out a semicolon for a separator
    Posted (edited) · 5axes plug in for CSV outputs out a semicolon for a separator

What is the purpose of this post here? If you don't like the plugin, don't use it. @5axes has no obligations to you.

Most spreadsheets I used present me with a dialog that lets me select the separator when I import a CSV file. And by "most", I mean all that I can remember using.

The link to the rant you posted has no relation to this issue or this forum, so to me it only comes across as link-spam.

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 2

One idea could be for the next release to export the file under the  Scsv extension file. Semi-Colon Separated Values. End of discusion 🤣

Edited by Cuq

It's no link spam - it's labeled Third Party and is valid as to an issue with Cura-related Third-Party plugins.

As to Excel giving an Import Wizard for filtering formats is during a Copy Paste - see the following screenshots

[gr5 - removed unrelated link]

importfilter.thumb.png.f609c082bb000dfb520063a358ccfb3e.png

CORRECTED.png

correct sample with commas.png

WRONG.png

I agree that it should be comma (not semicolons) and commas in numbers should be quoted:

hello,5, "1,0mm"

However also realize that when you import a random text file it pops up a dialog that lets you choose the delimiter to be semicolon so if you name the file "txt" instead of "csv" it's only one or two extra clicks to import into excel.

In my (older) version of excel if you pasted the text (semicolon delimited) you can select the column and choose the option "text to columns" and you get the same dialog where you can choose semicolon as the delimiter.

You should send an Email also to Bill Gates and ask why in the countries which are using coma as decimal separator when you export a CSV file from Excel semicolon is the standard used as separator. As soon as Microsoft will change this behaviour, the separator will be change in the plugin 🤣

Csv_format_Fr.jpg

Edited by Cuq

In the "Data" tab in Excel there is a section for "Get External Data".  One of the buttons there is "From Text".  Using that button forces the "Text Import Wizard" to come up and the delimiter options are available for any format of text file.  Simply opening a CSV file with the normal Excel "File | Open" function assumes (ahem) that it is comma delimited.

Once gain Microsoft has made simple things more difficult.