Problems with cura not printing some of my model

JOMS

Posted · Problems with cura not printing some of my model

I have made a model of a boat in rhino6 but for some reason when I slice it in cura some parts are left out and I dont know why.

I've tried to simplify the model as much as I could.

image.thumb.png.8952e1cea63c32b1b226fe84b54c5315.png

But for some reason it always wants to print it, leaving out everything above a certain height and then it continues later towards the top.

(as seen at the front/right)

image.thumb.png.e5b2d82908ee7e5f1e7f91ca2fadaa05.png

Try by activating "print thin walls" under Shell...  if that doesn't work, share the STL-file so we can take a look at it...

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Problems with cura not printing some of my model

I do apologies that model is not the right size i forgot to downscale it and then save it.

what i had in the screenshot was the same thing but i rescaled the x-axis to 250mm and rotated it 45° so that it would fit on the print bed.

Edited by JOMS

Sorry I didn't check the STL but I think the walls are just a little too thin.  Try setting "horizontal expansion" to 1mm just as a quick test and then playing with that.

Or alternatively, try setting "line width" to smaller and smaller values until it slices.  It's okay to have line width at 75% of nozzle size - print quality won't suffer much.  So 0.3mm line width for a 0.4mm nozzle.

• Like 1

It does not work because the model has no wall thickness at all. It's a non-manifold geometry and therefor cannot exist in the so-called "real world". 🙂

image.thumb.png.55050211fcfce7eab52b68de659406ba.png

I don't know the software you use, but you should read about how to create manifold geometry for 3D-printing.

For example:

https://www.sculpteo.com/en/3d-learning-hub/create-3d-file/fix-non-manifold-geometry/

• Like 3

One is your canoe and one is mine.  Can you tell which is which?

Untitled.thumb.png.1cbbf573fda2fbe06c106d03a480e9cb.png

Attached is the repaired model.  I like Service.netfabb.com for model repair.  They can even float boats and it's free.

Canoo_fixed.stl

• Thanks 1

Oh wow thank you this is great.😄