ULTIMAKER 2

Posted · ULTIMAKER 2

Is there a reason I can't find anything about the Ultimaker 2 on here? Has it been discontinued? I updated the Cura on my machine and now I can't find where the different extruder selections are for the Olsen block upgrade. Can anyone assist me with this please?

Thanking you in advance.

Vincent

• 3 weeks later...
    Posted · ULTIMAKER 2
    5 hours ago, IrvineCAGuy said:

Is the UM2 being supported and/or talked about??

Welcome @IrvineCAGuy, this is a community forum - rich on content created by users of Ultimaker products - so... questions are always allowed 🙂 (there are only some simple rules to respect as always).

Enjoy the forum!

Posted · ULTIMAKER 2
    On 5/12/2021 at 9:26 AM, Vincent007 said:

Is there a reason I can't find anything about the Ultimaker 2 on here? Has it been discontinued? I updated the Cura on my machine and now I can't find where the different extruder selections are for the Olsen block upgrade. Can anyone assist me with this please?

Thanking you in advance.

Vincent

The UM2 was built until 2015. Starting in 2016 the UM2+ was released...and now we have the Ultimaker 2+ Connect.

If you need an earlier version of Cura, you can go back to a previous version: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/tags

However, Ultimaker 4.9.1 does still have the ability to let you pick an Ultimaker 2 with an Olsson block upgrade so you can set for different nozzle sizes.

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 8.39.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 8.39.52 PM.png

Posted (edited) · ULTIMAKER 2

Thanks for the info, do you also know why I can't set different materials when select ultimaker 2? It works with a non-Ultimaker printer. 

Edited by marcvanbritsom

Posted · ULTIMAKER 2

When the gcode flavor is set to Ulticode in the Cura printer configuration then you have to choose the material on the printer itself during loading. 

When you set the flavor to Marlin you can use Cura to select the material.

Its up to you what you prefer...

Posted · ULTIMAKER 2
    13 hours ago, IrvineCAGuy said:

I guess I hastily purchased a used UM2 not realizing it was obsolete and not (easily) supported.

It's definitely supported and also there are many 3rd party resellers for upgrades, repairs and so on.  I would call it a "mature" product - not "obsolete".  I have 4 UM2s, a UM3, an S5.  All are actively used.  All work great.

Posted · ULTIMAKER 2
    9 minutes ago, marcvanbritsom said:

Thanks for the info, do you also know why I can't set different materials when select ultimaker 2? It works with a non-Ultimaker printer. 

This is one of the great features of the UM2.  You choose material on the printer, not in cura.  So you can slice once and then print the same mode with different types of materials without having to reslice.  The printer itself modifieds a few settings based on the material: bed temp, nozzle temp, fan multiplier, filament diameter (and I think a few more but I forget).

I have a set of parts that I print in PLA in the winter and using nGen in the summer.  So this feature is handy for me.  But most people probably don't take advantage of this capability of the UM2.

Posted · ULTIMAKER 2
    5 minutes ago, Smithy said:

When the gcode flavor is set to Ulticode in the Cura printer configuration then you have to choose the material on the printer itself during loading. 

When you set the flavor to Marlin you can use Cura to select the material.

Its up to you what you prefer...

Posted · ULTIMAKER 2

Thanks it works, set the machine setup version G-code to Marlin instead of Ultimaker 2, now i can finetuning and make my own settings.

Posted · ULTIMAKER 2
    23 hours ago, IrvineCAGuy said:

Hi Erin.  Thank you for this information.

I guess I hastily purchased a used UM2 not realizing it was obsolete and not (easily) supported.

The Ultimaker 2 was produced from 2013 to 2015. It's a pretty solid machine, but the UM2+ had some really great improvements. If you put an extrusion upgrade kit on the UM2 it  changes out the entire extrusion path for an Ultimaker 2+ one (which makes it more compatible for easily available parts) and just grants you a lot more reliability with the geared feeder instead of the knurled sleeve on the UM2 feeder.