need instalation help on HP Envy laptop and windows 10

Panther45

Posted · need instalation help on HP Envy laptop and windows 10

I am setting up on HP envy laptop with windows 10  that is up to date.  I have downloaded the software on two browsers and am getting the same result. I can check through the screens on the agreement and on the select folder screen I get an "error opening file for writing"

I have two of the computers and it happens on both of them.   Whatever I am doing wrong, I am at least consistent.

Just setting up a system for on time manufacturing and I seem to be stuck in the starting gate

Thanks for your help

Could you add a screenshot of the error? When the error is showing, just do Ctrl + PrintScreen, and then paste in a reply here. It will also help if you post a link to your Cura.log, which can be found in %APPDATA%\cura\4.9

• Thanks 1

---------------------------
    Ultimaker Cura 4.9.1 Setup
    Error opening file for writing:

C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.9.1\Cura.exe

Click Abort to stop the installation,

Retry to try again, or

Ignore to skip this file.
    Abort   Retry   Ignore   

I searched the drive for  Cura.log and for  %APPDATA%\cura\4.9 and for  %APPDATA%\cura\4.9\Cura.log   and found no results.  Do you think the log is missing??

Well it can't write to that file.  That file is the cura program itself.  So here are some possibilities:

1) The most common - when I see that error - is that the program is running (cura is running).  I'd launch task manager and make sure Cura isn't running. 

Also go to that folder c:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.9.1\

see if the folder exists and see if Cura.exe is in it .  If so then try to delete the file.  If you can't delete it, particularly as administrator, then something has the program open.  Worst case - reboot and try to delete it again.

The installer can't create Cura.exe (cura itself - the main program) if it's locked because it's currently running or open for some other reason.

2) Well maybe the file doesn't exist - maybe you don't have privilege to write to that folder.  Maybe run the installer as administrator - right click the setup and choose "run as administrator"

• Like 1

Great information!  thanks for that, it all sounds right.  I did not consider that it might be running.  I am away form the shop and I will try your thoughts the minute I get back.    Funny how knowing about the software makes this easier......   Many thanks

OK   I ended up running it as you suggested. The admin seemed to clear it up after I got it cleared.  The program was running and that was the root cause of the problem.  I am an aviator and this was pilot error.  It seems someone else beat me to the install and forgot to tell me.  I spent time fixing software that was working!   Right when I thought we had made every mistake one could make.

Thanks for the help, the next set of questions will be bigger challenge for yall.