We want to learn about your Cura workflows!

10r3n20

Posted · We want to learn about your Cura workflows!

The Cura team is continuously working to improve the products and make your 3d printing workflow as smooth as possible.

As part of this continual quest to improve the product, we would like to interview some users on their experience with the software and the rest of the Ultimaker platform.

We are particularly looking for people who have expertise or something to say on these 3 topics:

1)    Network connected printers
2)    Advanced workflows going from CAD to Cura (Custom support, mesh modifiers, multi material assemblies )
3)    Ultimaker Digital Library

Do you want to share your honest feedback with members of the Cura team on one of the 3 topics listed above? 

Please leave a comment below shortly introducing yourself and your experience with Cura. Don't forget to mention you experience with one of the interview topics listed above.

We will then send you a message with more information on how to schedule a video call with us in June 2021.
Looking forward to learning from your experience with Cura.

Lorenzo Romagnoli
UX designer  -  Cura team

• Like 3

Hi, 

I have a suggestion to improve cura. I work with a lot of different materials and I would like to save all of my different settings I have for my matirials so I don't have to constantly change them when I change to different matirial. 

Thank you for taking time to read this. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · We want to learn about your Cura workflows!

I'm game, but I have not used the Digital Library yet. But I know all about connecting printers via the network, be it via Ultimaker Connect or OctoPrint.

Edited by ahoeben

On 6/27/2021 at 10:20 AM, Marko666 said:

I have a suggestion to improve cura. I work with a lot of different materials and I would like to (...)

Posting your feature suggestion here will not get it seen by the people who would decide if this feature gets implemented.

You may be interested in the "Material Settings" plugin that is available in the Marketplace, which lets you select what settings can be set in the Materials preference pane.

I have an Ultimaker S5 that does most of my printing. I don't use the Ultimaker Cloud much though; only local connection and monitoring (and remote via VPN).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ahoeben said:

I have an Ultimaker S5 that does most of my printing. I don't use the Ultimaker Cloud much though; only local connection and monitoring (and remote via VPN).

Awesome! I'd love to hear about your experience with it! I'll send you a link to schedule a session. 

I am using the cloud to print locally and remotely in another country, with a third country (and our second continent) to be added in the coming months. It is definitely an experience controlling a printer from thousands of miles away, without direct control over maintenance, plate cleaning, and all of the other daily routines that comes with being right next to your printer. If you told me a year ago that I would be controlling a 3D printer from such a distance, I wouldn't have believed you, but here I am, nonetheless.

• Like 2

Thanks for asking.  I use Fusion 360 and from the tools menu post the model directly to Cura.  Beautiful.

Currently I am building models of Victorian machinery so dimensions on the original blueprints are in inches.  Fusion handles this well but the dimensionless transfer to Cura means EVERY model needs scaling 2540!  The automatic scaling future in Cura is 1000 and useless (to me). 

We can discuss this but my suggestion will be to add a setting "default scale" with a default value of 1.  Those of us facing similar issues can set the default to 2540, or whatever.

Thanks.  I've tried other slicers and have had nothing but problems on small models (< 5 cm) where voids are introduced at odd places, but not in Cura.

John

I'm working in Onshape to model a 1875 locomotive. I have modeled in full size, and then I scale the model down so that the largest part fits on the printer bed. I am waiting on a Snapmaker 2.0 A350 that Snapmaker is donating to our project, but in the mean time learning all I can in Cura. All of our museum quality models will be donated to railroad museums, so we are exsited to be working with Snapmaker, and Cura.

I found out that I can do all of my modeling in Imperial measuremnet, but then once I scale the model down, and export it out of Onshape, I need to export the STL file out in MM's. So far that seems to work fine, but I haven't been able to test it yet. The finished models will be in 1/10th scale so they will be about 3' static display models. I will share the progress here, and have attached a couple of examples of our progress.

Complete 2D Locomotive.png

Frame Progress1.png

Frame Progress2.png

Frame Progress3.png

Frame Progress4.png

On 6/14/2021 at 2:40 PM, 10r3n20 said:

We will then send you a message with more information on how to schedule a video call with us in June 2021.
    Looking forward to learning from your experience with Cura.

Hi Lorenzo,

unfortunately I just now noticed your campaign. Are you still looking for feedback on this or have you already implementet all learnings into Cura 5, and are done with it? 

If it's not too late; I work a lot with Cura, slice for Ultimaker and other machines as well. I design parts myself and also do a lot of multimaterial printing (most capable machine is an E3D Toolchanger with 4 toolheads). I have some strong opinions on this topic in particular, as I feel that multimaterial handling in Cura leaves a lot to be desired. CAD integration is another topic I can say a few words about.

13 minutes ago, neute said:

Hi Lorenzo,

unfortunately I just now noticed your campaign. Are you still looking for feedback on this or have you already implementet all learnings into Cura 5, and are done with it? 

If it's not too late; I work a lot with Cura, slice for Ultimaker and other machines as well. I design parts myself and also do a lot of multimaterial printing (most capable machine is an E3D Toolchanger with 4 toolheads). I have some strong opinions on this topic in particular, as I feel that multimaterial handling in Cura leaves a lot to be desired. CAD integration is another topic I can say a few words about.

Hi @neute, thanks for reaching out. I kind of wrapped up the previous research and some improvements coming from it will hopefully land in 5.1. But I'm still quite interested in your workflows for multi material printing, I'll send you a PM to schedule a call.