Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

S5 collides with print and X/Y axles pop out of holders - completely frustrated

Posted (edited) · S5 collides with print and X/Y axles pop out of holders - completely frustrated

Hi all,

I had an issue this afternoon and can't find anything on it, might be looking for the wrong topic.

The x-axis axle popped out of it little black plastic holder while a print was running. I noticed it only when I walked in front and there were no warning messages, it kept trying to print as if nothing was wrong.
I noticed a small crack on the black plastic holder (on the left side), so it seems it was either cracked or cracked after this happened (there's a good chance it was after as the thing kept running for a while). 

What would cause this to happen? I do regular maintenance and oil/grease everything.

Last week I did get an issue where the print head somehow pushed the whole glass plate to the left by 10mm. I've been having a lot of these issues since the last Cura update (4.9.1) and I'm wondering if it's software related. Or it's just a coincidence, but so far I'm not very fond of this thing's history of reliability.

538414839_ImagefromiOS(1).thumb.jpg.4379634fdc5b43929b426faae06ee6d3.jpg

Cheers

Edited by Farnsworth9
Update
    Posted · S5 collides with print and X/Y axles pop out of holders - completely frustrated

I have had the glass plate being shoved over due to a strong plastic curl. The printhead collided with it and it would push it over quite quietly, bit by bit. Make sure your clips are really grabbing the plate by pushing them down.

Did you use a different filament than normal for this?

As for the broken slider block, I would contact your reseller to see if you can get a replacement (free if still within warranty period.)

As for changing and realigning, it will take a better support person than myself to tell you how to do it. There may also be video lessons on how to do that as well.

• 1 month later...
    Posted · S5 collides with print and X/Y axles pop out of holders - completely frustrated

Hi all, I've had this issue come up 4 times now. I sent the printer in to our local supplier, it took a week for them to "fix", then I received it back "fixed" and within the same week had the issue happen again. This printer has only been a headache since we bought it and we're gaining huge downtime and waste because of it (print core broken, sensor wire broke, feeder constantly needs adjustment, print head collisions for no apparent reason, firmware errors, the list goes on). I wouldn't suggest anyone to get an Ultimaker at this point.

It seems what happens is at some point during the print, there's a collision between the print head and the print, then the X or the Y axles (random) will pop out of it's holder.

IMG_5802.thumb.jpg.03d29c57274bd6368e5347587632791c.jpg

IMG_5803.thumb.jpg.0444d63294d29f2eae182523a72c65b0.jpgIMG_5804.thumb.jpg.6740b0e7ffe1648c49197af614a41442.jpgIMG_5805.thumb.jpg.09125f953804a37a21b6b4ffac3a7d0d.jpg

image (1).png

image (2).png

image (3).png

image.png

• Farnsworth9 changed the title to S5 collides with print and X/Y axles pop out of holders - completely frustrated

So what I've tried so far is completely uninstalling Cura and deleting all saved settings. I started another print from scratch using no modifications in Cura, but I had the same issue almost immediately.

It also seems that during the print the fan was not working and the print core was not heating up, so the material feed jammed inside the print head. It's the 2nd time that happens. It also looks like there's restriction in one of the linear bearings of the print head as well as the axle blocks are being pushed back and forth during printing, which may be what is causing the axles to pop out.

Has anyone had any issues with this?