Nozzle barely prints out anything

Posted · Nozzle barely prints out anything

Hi Everyone,

I am helping someone out with the UMS3. When I tried to print, all that came out were some blobs here and there. They weren't even big blobs, but they were pretty small. I did that a few times, but it still didn't work. I found out I chose the wrong material: from generic pla to colorfab Color on Demand. (I am using AA .4.) However, when I tried with the right material, it still didn't print at all. I am not sure if it is because the nozzle clogged or something else is wrong.

I did notice that when I was loading the filament. When I tried to push the filament in with the tension latch down, it wasn't sucking it in. I just shrugged it off and manually pushed in the pla by opening the latch. Maybe this is the problem? 

Does anyone have an idea on what to look for or what the problem is?

Thanks

UMS3_White side.3mf

When you load the material with the normal procedure, does it work and is it extruding during the load process?

Hi guys,

So when I loaded the filament for the first few time, it extruded out. (this was with the wrong material setting) However, when I tried to print a few times, no filament really came out, so I tried the loading process again it extruded fine again. (with wrong material setting) But it first kind of shot out some then with a steady stream of filament. Then I tried to print a few more times with different materials (just tried pla and tough pla) and those didn't work, so I tried loading again, but now it does extrude out. Then I used the right material setting, and it didn't work.

What does this mean? Clogged?

What do you mean with right and wrong material settings?

For example, you take a spool of PLA 2.85mm and load it into the printer. You choose PLA from the menu (or in case of UM spool, it gets auto detected by the printer).

In Cura you have to select the same material.

Have you tried the hot/cold pull cleaning procedure?

Your issue sounds like it may be a nozzle/extruder that's clogged to at least some extent.  This will cause low flow out of the nozzle and a lower rate of, or no apparent feed of the filament.  It's very easy and takes only a few minutes.

Hi,

Wrong material setting is that I did not choose colorFab in Cura but chose pla or tough pla. Also, I don't think this is a Ultimaker spool so it can't detect it. 

One question is I chose colorFab in Cura, but on Ultimaker, it does not have the colorFab option. Is that needed? If so, how do I do it?

the hot pull cold pull thing, and I was able to get the filament out and it was definitely somewhat clogged. However, when I pulled it out, at the part where the gears touch it, there was a bump there. Is this natural?

209605468_4200105333381944_6424050765736637684_n.jpg

209397724_197859355578295_7848616083004888598_n.jpg

HI,

I tried printing again. It kind of had a better result after doing the hot/cold cleaning, but still pretty much does the same thing. Not much of the filament extrudes out and some of the filament gets stuck onto the nozzle.

Here are some pictures

208848900_357194759088892_7881170936531924576_n.jpg

207750977_544143180294952_4513369515210301768_n.jpg

I am having similar issue.  I just took delivery of a used UM3. It turns out it was used mainly for ToughPLA and similar higher temp material.  I finally got one of 3 print cartridges to squeeze out a little of one UM PLA.  I have done many hot and cold pulls, but it is still not 'clean'.

If anyone has a suggestion on how to get it working, please let me know!

Just an update, I did it again and opened up the feeder. The gear is just grinding up the filament.

What can I do?

208547459_162327355952209_8860436913936463496_n.jpg

208413356_136273371942293_8750154139600000867_n.jpg

Your feeder tension is wrong, the marker on the left in your last picture should be in the middle position! With your position I am not wondering that your feeder is not able to transport the filament. Turn the screw and bring the marker in the middle position.

Regarding ColorFabb filament. It makes no difference if you use Generic PLA or the ColorFabb profiles. As far as I know the settings are the same.

Just a comment from the peanut gallery here, but it is grinding as Smithy said, and the 'teeth' need to be cleaned on the drive.  Using a 'brass' (not steel) brush should clean it without to much problem and leave the extruder gear in good shape.

Mine are doing that too.

I guess that means it is not putting enough pressure on the filament to force it through.

I figured it out. During the loading process, I was pushing way too much. Then the feeder tried to push more filament in, but couldn't because it is blocked by the nozzle. This means that it will lead to clogs, due to the fact that the nozzle's extruding rate is far less than how much the feeder pushes. This means that the pla at some point can't really move, because it hit a dead end, the nozzle. This means that the feeder's gear still keeps on spinning, leading to it melting the plastic at where the filament touches the gear.

Sound logical and is ofc the reason. You should hit the button as soon as you see the filament coming out of the feeder during loading or maybe 1cm, then it is fine.

But except your finding, your feeder tension should be anyway in the middle position.

Anyone have a image of how the INSIDE of the feeder should be set up.  

Not sure mine is correct.  I can't seem to move the indicator.

Currently I have no possibility to make a picture, but the screw (head) has to be inside of the slot.

Or easier, in the picture above it is correct. (Except the tension)

6 hours ago, servant74 said:

Anyone have a image of how the INSIDE of the feeder should be set up.  

Not sure mine is correct.  I can't seem to move the indicator.

The indicator should move up/down with the turning of the screw.  The screw head needs to be inside the case of the feeder for this to work.

It's somewhat counterintuitive, as turning the screw clockwise drives the piece/indicator up and loosens it and turning it counter (anti) clockwise drives it down and tightens it.  It's easy to get it wrong at disassembly time and to have the spring go sailing across the room.

6 hours ago, servant74 said:

I can't seem to move the indicator.

Or if it is assembled correctly, the thread is worn out on the indicator. Not sure if there is a nut inside or not.

I seem to recall that there is some kind of metal piece (nut or insert) in there, but I could not swear by it.  (I'm not going to tear it apart just to check.)  😉

I also think there must be something inside, without it is just a question of time when it stops working....