Android octoprint

Posted · Android octoprint

Did anyone try running octoprint on old android phone?

I was thinking about using my xiaomi mi a2 or huawei p20 lite to controll my UM2+.

As i need to use same usb port for data and chargingn I have to make custom OTG cable.

Before I start that project I want to make sure is this diagram safe for UM2+:

index.png

Left side would be type C or micro USB, right side type B for 3D printer and bottom type A for charging.

Is there anything I should worry about? I don't want to risk my printer, so any tips are welcome 🙂

I don't think it is worth destroying MBO, but it is worth my time since I enjoy recycling 😄
    Pi 3 with PSU, SD card and camera is 100$ and my phone is laying around collecting dust...

Ok, 100$ is a lot more than here in Austria. I bought the last Pi3 for 30$.

But try it, I mean you have just connected the two data lines and ground, so I think you should be safe to not damage your board, but if it works is another question.

I would choose to not connect the +5V to the printer-side of the cable (but only to the phone-side). There is nothing to be gained by powering the printer PCB of the UM2 via USB.

Hi folks,

I'll think there is a little misunderstanding here, as this question is about powering the phone (only) by using a phone charger. The black cross in the red wire (going to the printer), -meaning the wire is cut here and I'm assuming that the remaining of the red wire toward the printer is insulated/end caped.

His intention is to use the phones data connection wires and the ground only.

So the printers +5VDC at the printers USB port is not used.

Thanks

Torgeir

Yes i would cut the red wire just like on the picture above. In that case only data and gnd would be connected to usb on UM. I would start the project without charger first anyway to see if it works.