I'm trying to print a cylinder with a cut out, on the build it looks fine, but doesn't slice.

Posted · I'm trying to print a cylinder with a cut out, on the build it looks fine, but doesn't slice.

im trying to print an object that I have designed myself and I am new to 3d printing and to design. when I build the project it all looks good then I load into cura and its fine but when I slice it I lose the corners of the cutout? what am I doing wrong

Screenshot (1).png

15 x 13 lagging .3mf

Posted · I'm trying to print a cylinder with a cut out, on the build it looks fine, but doesn't slice.

Hi @Liampeffers

Welcome in here.

There is nothing wrong here, -except that the wall thickness at this point is "super tiny", so there is no printer like we're using that can handle such a sharp edge. You'll need to redesign your model so the wall thickness have width the printer can handle.

Cura slicer in preview mode will show how your model will look like as it "know" the limitation..

Just select a wall size at "around" 0.3 mm and see how this goes.

Good luck.

Thanks

Torgeir 

Posted (edited) · I'm trying to print a cylinder with a cut out, on the build it looks fine, but doesn't slice.

You're too quick @Torgeir.  I was busy trying to repair the model but didn't have any luck.  It isn't watertight and there are some other errors.  The model really needs to be fixed in the CAD software.

BTW, what software did you use for the design?

Edited by GregValiant

Off topic.

Ehmm.. No not that quick, Greg. I'm just awake a few hour before you're.  😁

Also digging into another problem -suddenly popping up.. 😉

Torgeir

On 8/20/2021 at 12:38 PM, Torgeir said:

Hi @Liampeffers

Welcome in here.

There is nothing wrong here, -except that the wall thickness at this point is "super tiny", so there is no printer like we're using that can handle such a sharp edge. You'll need to redesign your model so the wall thickness have width the printer can handle.

Cura slicer in preview mode will show how your model will look like as it "know" the limitation..

Just select a wall size at "around" 0.3 mm and see how this goes.

Good luck.

Thanks

Torgeir 

Thank you Torgeir, will give that a go and see what happens.

@GregValiant just used the 3d builder program preloaded on windows? what software do you suggest?

how do you know the model isn't watertight? and how would I repair?

sorry i am EXTREMELY new to all of this. if I'm honest before now I've only really used a computer for office work.

thank you for the replies and help.

I'm sure this wont be the last🙈

Posted (edited) · I'm trying to print a cylinder with a cut out, on the build it looks fine, but doesn't slice.

We all start someplace.  There is a lot to learn.  At the same time the printers are both extremely simple, and extremely complex.  Slicing software, Gcode commands, Firmware, and the mechanical side of the printer are separate lessons in the course.  The amount of science that takes place in that little spot below the nozzle is amazing.

In the Cura MarketPlace are two tools you will want to load.  One is the "Mesh Tools".  They add commands to both the main menu bar and to the right click menu.  One of those tools is "Check Mesh" and it will report on whether the part is "Water Tight" or has open seams (not water tight).

The other is "Printer Settings".  Some of those only affect settings in Cura but some do affect the gcode that Cura will output.  That is required for 2-in-1-out extruders.

The image below is the model opened in 3D Builder.  You can see that the intersection results in the remaining tube coming to a feather edge point.  Modeling errors aside, there is no way to print the feather edge once the width falls below "Line Width" in Cura then the area can't be sliced.  A smaller nozzle would do better, but the width of that feather edge approaches zero.  This is because it appears you subtracted a cylinder of the same size from the main part and went to the main part centerline with it.

Regarding CAD programs, I have heard some good things about Fusion 360 (but I'm biased as I use an old version of AutoDesk Mechanical Desktop).  Moderator @gr5 and some others here know more about free CAD programs like Blender and maybe he'll comment on that.  They all have a learning curve.

image.thumb.png.e05a4de2d0348bba53c60130942a2ee3.png

You just have to keep after it.  Sometimes it will be necessary to walk away for a few hours and come back with a fresh perspective.  Sometimes a 32oz ball peen hammer is in order.

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 2

@GregValiant thank you just looking into these now and see how I get on. thank you for all your help it is very much appreciated, i will update with any progress.