Solid Walls With Low Or No Infill, And No Top. Please Help!

Reddley

Posted · Solid Walls With Low Or No Infill, And No Top. Please Help!

I've been trying to figure this out. after I updated to Cura 4.11 I set my infill to anything (currently 20%) and I get solid walls and the color code tells me its the top/bottom filling in the whole wall, It's not doing it to actual tops and bottoms just walls.

I've tried using stock settings and going back to old versions and it's still doing it, I know its a bug because its mixing the infill and top/bottom in a way where it might hit the nozzle on it.

The only thing that fixes it but would lower my overall quality would be to set wall fill gaps to nowhere instead of everywhere, but that would leave gaps.

1401662692_pic2.thumb.png.96b7394458f226fe2cd3f814f28feb7c.png873482200_pic1.thumb.png.b2be0e8f45771c183d2c30f987892e5f.png1336133311_Pic3.thumb.png.f181cdac6403b491e63de04883f37b53.pngimage.thumb.png.3f0f8234517acfd3a5191433ea72c095.png

Hi @Reddley

Welcome in here.

The only picture that's some strange looking is the first one, -as you can see some of the infill in the top mixed with yellow (infill is amber colored).. 

You'll need to save your model as a "project" file here, then someone can have a look in order to help you.

Thanks

Torgeir

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Solid Walls With Low Or No Infill, And No Top. Please Help!

These are my Profile and the STL for the model pictured.

Picture 1 and 2 are a different model but with a glitch occurring, model 3 and 4 are another model with different settings and a similar glitch happening by only changing "Fill gaps between walls" to nowhere or anywhere.

Picture 2 is only there to show an example of the top of the print and the Top/bottom settings

Buck Converter Box.stl Reddley Profile.curaprofile

Edited by Reddley

A better way is to go to "file" menu in Cura then select save project file, this will save your model as; "Buck Converter Box.3mf". This file will hold your model with all setting selected in cura plus your printer info, this way we'll see exactly the same as you're seeing your model.

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Removed unrelevant question.
    • Like 1

Hi @Reddley

This was weird, looks like the infill in the wall is mixed with a solid layer (top or bottom?).

1) When the walls are printed it start with outer and inner walls layers then infill are done normally and a new layer start.

2) The outer and inner walls starts as above, but instead of continue with infill -it start a top (or bottom) layer.

3) The outer and inner walls starts as above, this time normal infill -and continues on like this every other layer.

Hmm, have to say that I've sever seen this before -just wondering if this is a new function in Cura -or is it a bug?

Hi @GregValiant, can you share some light in here?

Torgeir

• Like 1

Ok., just loaded your model into Cura (4.11.0) and used my printer (an UM2E+) with default setting "Normal 0.15 mm".

With this default setting the model comes out fine with normal infill and top/bottom as it should be..

So this problem seems (to me) to be some setting "confusing" Cura.

I'll try to tweak a little around with your profile, may take some time..

Thanks

Torgeir

• Like 1

Hi @Reddley

Well, -it just was the function (under walls), "Fill Gaps Between Walls" that was enabled and made all this extra wall infill.

Just changed this from "Everywhere" to "Nowhere" and then the infill become normal..

(I've never been using this function.)

Hopefully, this was the problem.

Thanks

Torgeir

• Like 1

Sorry about that, also I'm using Cura 4.11 and I've tried going back to 4.10 and its doing it too and I've never seen that until 4.11, and I used the stock Cura settings and its doing it in both versions too.

Hello @Torgeir, @Reddley.

Reddley I'm not sure what you want here.  If you change the line width of the inner and outer walls to .39 then the infill should show up.

I'd do that and then set it to 3 walls.  That will cut the print time down and the walls will be near solid and the infill lines won't show on the outside.

You might get feather edges on all the holes and they tend to warp up and get hit by the nozzle.  Enabling Z hops might be a good idea.

Good luck with it.

• Like 2

@Torgeir @GregValiant

Ill try to simplify whats happening, I'm kind of lost in what I'm doing and this lol.

Issue.

I want a thin wall that's big enough to need infill instead of being solid, whats happening is its either filling it in entirely with what appears to be Top/Bottom and mixing that with infill, even when infill is set low. Fix, Set "Fill Gaps Between Walls" to Nowhere.

Second issue, Nowhere causes Gaps making for ugly prints, and on only some models there will be no roof in certain spots only. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for taking your time to help me!

Edited by Reddley

@Torgeir @GregValiant

I made a test model that has a few different wall widths to see how it reacts. What it seems like is Cura just doesn't like 2mm walls being hollow which is fine and ill fix it by changing to 3mm walls. Thanks for all the help and your time!

Test Model.png

• Thanks 1

Hi @Reddley

Great Readdley.

Maybe you should try the "new" version of Cura, the Cura Arachne Beta, still an experimental version -but this version handle the layer width much better.

There is some issues with it, but think it will work well for your model and give you some good prints..

You can use your project file from Cura 4.11.0 and see how it goes in Cura Arachne Beta.

You'll find it here:

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018439500-Ultimaker-Cura-Arachne-engine-beta-version

Good luck.

Thanks

Torgeir

• Like 1

@Torgeir

I will, thanks!