S5 purge filament when switching from dark to light?

jsw

Posted · S5 purge filament when switching from dark to light?

Is there an easy way to simply extrude more filament when the purge when loading did not clear all of the color from the old filament out?

This morning I finished a print with jet black PETg, unloaded the filament, then loaded in a light colored transparent PLA and let the purge while holding for 'consistent extrusion' to run as long as it could.

It still did not clear all of the black out of the system, and the bottom of the new print was 'stained' with the residual black for a few layers.

I had to abort and restart the print.

Is there a simple way to continue or restart the purge, or any other easy work-around for this?

Thanks.

I rarely print transparent. I also noticed this between yellow ABS and transparent CPE+.

A yellowed part really doesn't look nice.

I had to print about one to two hours until the effect was gone. Therefore I let the printer print this time since then.

Alternatively, of course, a print head cleaning with Ultimaker Cleaning Filament would work.
    However, I prefer the printer to work instead of me.

Thanks.

I looked through the printer front panel menu and I did not see anything that allowed just a manual extruder flow.

On my 'other' printer (Prusa I3) when you change filaments it purges for a while and asks 'Is this the correct color?' and if you answer NO it will repeat as many times as needed.  It also has a manual Extrude Filament option as well.

On the S5, it purges for a while after a filament change and runs for quite a while, asking for you to confirm, but it eventually stops and in my case, before all of the black had been purged out.

I have to do another black PETg print today, and when I change filament after that, if it's a light color, I have a calibration cube on a memory stick and I'll probably just start that printing and abort after the new filament looks OK.

I'm wondering if maybe there's a quickie gcode to do such a purge?

The Ultimaker 2 also have this. Just not the S5.

The S5 also does not like G-code. Therefore, I would maybe describe an object in the air and try to print that without support. With the plugin Z-Offset that should work. But it would be very individual and filament dependent.

There is the prime blob in the setting. The extrudes a little more.

With an Ultimaker Material Station, it makes a longer extrusion phase before each print.

But practically all this is not enough if you want to print transparent.

I had recently also done so that I have printed small parts until they were completely transparent.

I don't have any other ideas right now.

Many greetings

1 hour ago, Carla_Birch said:

Would running a cold pull clean of the print core help?

I'm sure it would remove most of the contaminating filament, but what I'm looking for is something simple, as in no futzing around disconnecting tubing and such, preferably one (or minimal) keypresses, just something to effectively purge the darker filament from the extruder, which the procedure for loading filament fails to do completely.

Something simpler than starting a sacrificial print and aborting it when the color is adequately purged.

The contamination effect happens when going from a higher temperature material to a lower temperature material like PLA.

A simple solution to avoid it would be to have different print cores for materials that differ more than 10 degree in print temperature.

That's really not a simple solution, sorry.

Other manufacturers have an easy method to simply extrude material.

How much effort would that be to include that in the Ultimaker?

Who should I go to, officially, to request such a function?

Posted (edited) · S5 purge filament when switching from dark to light?

Its kind of hidden but for manual extrusion, Select the material on the touch screen > press the 3 dots in the top right corner > select Move 

Another, possibly better, way to purge is to to enable an extra large skirt to be printed in Cura under Build Plate Adhesion settings.

Edited by Travis7s

On 12/5/2021 at 11:04 PM, jsw said:

That's really not a simple solution, sorry.

Well, it's a quick solution. Purging centimeters of material (which is necessary to get a nozzle really cleaned out for some combinations) seems to me like a solution that takes way more time and wastes material. But that is of course just my point of view.