Build plate glass got etched

Umo_Alex

Posted · Build plate glass got etched

And I'm wondering why?

I used 3DLac and was printing ABS with default Cura settings.

(On my new 2+Connect, btw 😀)
Didn't find any shivers of glass on the prints, or otherwise.

So what the h*ll happened?

I just realized what must have happened. I wanted to get a print off fast, so I dabbed it with cold water.

Well, it popped right off, but that pop must've been the glass...

Another lesson learnt, I suppose.

It's better to get a 2nd glass build plate and take the print out and let it cool normal why using the 2nd glass build plate to start the next print. Personally i have 3 glass build plates to each printer, the 3rd being a back up incase one breaks.

I prefer to print using ABS and thinking ahead, bought 2 spare plates when I bought my 5.  Haven't needed them though since I have a habit of printing a raft using breakaway.
    Took awhile to find a solution to warping but now I tape the door gaps with blue painters tape and throw a quilt over the machine.  Set the build temp to 100C and turn off the air handler.   Temp in machine levels out at 125-130F.  let it cool on it's own when done..   perfect prints.

Spare plates seem like a good idea.

Besides, each plate has two sides... 😉

If you can make it work thats great but do note that both sides of the glass are not equal.

I've found that you just have to be very careful with hot build plate prints as you can get things to over-adhere and then chip the glass. I recently did some ABS using a thin coat of Magigoo PA and it was brutal even after fully cooling down.

On 12/6/2021 at 9:52 PM, Travis7s said:

If you can make it work thats great but do note that both sides of the glass are not equal.

• Con78 posts
    Posted Monday at 09:52 PM · Build plate glass got etched

Confirmed. Prints on the back side of the plate are quite a bit harder to remove!

2 hours ago, Umo_Alex said:

Confirmed. Prints on the back side of the plate are quite a bit harder to remove!

Actually, the reverse is true.

The prints on the front are more difficult to remove.

If you use any kind of additional adhesion like glue or hair spray, it should not make any difference between front and backside. But maybe I am wrong, but I usually don't care about the "right" side, I just print, and haven't noticed any difference yet.

On 12/12/2021 at 1:18 AM, Smithy said:

If you use any kind of additional adhesion like glue or hair spray, it should not make any difference between front and backside. But maybe I am wrong, but I usually don't care about the "right" side, I just print, and haven't noticed any difference yet.

That's my experience too.   I use hairspray as a rule.  I've found warming up the build plate to 50C or so makes prints easy to remove.  Cold is often quite difficult.

Just thinking, what about the amount of adhesive?

Maybe I just used too much?

On 12/19/2021 at 12:44 PM, Umo_Alex said:

Just thinking, what about the amount of adhesive?

Maybe I just used too much?

I just use a light 2-3 sec dusting

On 12/5/2021 at 5:36 PM, JTMD said:

I prefer to print using ABS and thinking ahead, bought 2 spare plates when I bought my 5.  Haven't needed them though since I have a habit of printing a raft using breakaway.
    Took awhile to find a solution to warping but now I tape the door gaps with blue painters tape and throw a quilt over the machine.  Set the build temp to 100C and turn off the air handler.   Temp in machine levels out at 125-130F.  let it cool on it's own when done..   perfect prints.

Time for an update:    I was out of breakaway and needed to make some drawer handles so, I figured I just do them right on the glass this one time...  big mistake!  Massive glass damage.  I flipped the plate over, then realized I hadn't lately seen those extra plates I bought last September.  Looked all over for them - no luck.  Began to think I may have intended to order them but never did (wouldn't be the first time I did that).  So, ordered two yesterday, and they shipped them out the same day.
    This morning I go out to the shop and, you guessed it, found the plates.
    So now I'll have FOUR backups.. sheesh...

18 hours ago, JTMD said:

Time for an update:    I was out of breakaway and needed to make some drawer handles so, I figured I just do them right on the glass this one time...  big mistake!  Massive glass damage.  I flipped the plate over, then realized I hadn't lately seen those extra plates I bought last September.  Looked all over for them - no luck.  Began to think I may have intended to order them but never did (wouldn't be the first time I did that).  So, ordered two yesterday, and they shipped them out the same day.
    This morning I go out to the shop and, you guessed it, found the plates.
    So now I'll have FOUR backups.. sheesh...

I keep my spares under my printer, where they are easy to find, plus i swap between two of them when printing also. I have my printer lifted up a little higher also to make sure the PSU fan still gets good air flow.

Here is a photo I just taken to show what I mean.

AA5B991D-884A-4324-AFBE-5012BDDC9F19.thumb.jpeg.2175e82c4e1aa8e9577dd47a7f3a4deb.jpeg

On 1/8/2022 at 1:25 AM, Carla_Birch said:

I keep my spares under my printer...

I have a pretty large shop - almost 900 sq ft just for machines - but there's a lot of stuff in it and it gets dusty so, all my stuff is in cabinets.  Right now my 5 resides on top of a file cabinet but my cabinet-maker son is buildling a custom set up that I designed for the machine, my own material station design (cuz 3Grand+ is just too much) and drawers for tools and stuff.. once it's done the whole tower will reside in the lab.
    There's no way I'm pulling that glass out while it's still hot.. I'm not that impatient 🙂

image.thumb.png.d50256b40705978086956e5ddb7c1463.png