Ultimaker Cura 4.13

fvrmr

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 4.13

Cura is not a text editor.  When you load a gcode file it can display it as a preview but the gcode file itself cannot be edited from within Cura.

If you intend to slice a file then you must bring in a model (STL, OBJ, 3mf, etc.).  After slicing the file with your settings the slice button will change to a Save button and you can save the file as a Gcode.

If you need to manually edit a gcode file you can do it in a text editor (ex: MS Notepad, Notepad++ or the program of your choice).  It cannot be edited in a word processor.

Edited by GregValiant
  • Like 2

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.13

The USB Printing plugin of Cura has not been updated in a long time.  No Ultimaker printers use it because there were glitches that could not be overcome.  You can try to use it if you want.  It does work for some people.

I use the SD card.  It's simple and easy to understand.  Bring a model into Cura, adjust the settings as you want them, slice the model, save the Gcode.

I like to save it to the computer hard drive first (so there is a copy I can access) and then copy the gcode to the SD card and insert the card in the printer.  You can select the file from the LCD menus and print the file.  There are no interruptions when printing from the SD.

• Thanks 1

Hello!

I'm new here so hope this is wright place for my question as follows:

Just installed Cura for slicing models for printing with my new Voxelab Aquila X2.

When sliced all is OK but I can't see the horizontal Time line in Preview.

What am I missing?

To use the full fancy preview Cura requires that your video system has OpenGL 4.1 drivers loaded.  If it doesn't, then Cura reverts to "compability mode".  That's where I am with this laptop as I cannot update past OpenGL 4.0.  

If the computer has dual video systems (like an onboard Intel Graphics and a separate dedicated graphics card) then you may be able to inform the computer that Cura should use the dedicated video card.

There is a setting in Preferences/Configure Cura on the General tab and Viewport behavior for Force Layer View Compatibility Mode.  You can turn that off, but if the computer doesn't support OpenGL 4.1 then the setting doesn't do anything.

GregValiant:

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I'll check up my computer. Being a desktop I might install a separate graphig card to solve the problem.

Edited by Taunu
    missing letter

Or maybe just update the video drivers.  It can be a bit of a search nightmare to chase down the correct drivers and make sure that they include support for OGL 4.1 but it would be easier and cheaper than adding a new card. 

I use Cura 4.13.1 in Fedora Linux 35 and it works pretty well, but the file dialog is annoying.
    When I open or save a file, the fie dialog always opens behind the main Cura window. Usually, I run Cura maximized on the screen, so the file dialog opens up hidden behind it, so you have switch back and forth a lot.
    Also the file dialog reverts back to the system default "recent files" view every time. It would been more convenient if it got back to folder it was the last time.

Hoping someone can help me understand. Running a .4 nozzle, through an Aero Titan direct drive extruder. Have calibrated, and verified the steps. Manufacturer specifies 837 as a starting point, I'm at 814. I have been having issues with stringing, blobs when printing solid layers (PETG). Did a check of my wall thickness (set to .4), and found it to be 23% to much. averaging about .6.  I don't understand why I need to reduce the flow by 23% to get the wall thickness to be what was specified, if the input to the extruder is calibrated.

running 4.13.1 (but have had this issue through several versions), and a custom built CoreXY printer.

Edited by tzutsi

I think there's a dangerouns bug when printing with both extruders and set blob whitout brim or skirt, the printer goes to make the blob with second extruder when it's time to use it and rise building plate to zero with printed volume already done with first extruder and the print head maybe crash with printed part.

The printer should be do the blob for the second extruder later when the first layer is done.

This happen with my UM3 and S5 as well, so I can think this is a Cura bug...

Anyone experienced the same?

Edited by simoner

Hi, i have problem with Artillery Sidewinder X2

The maximum dimensions allowed are 275x275 instead at 300x300 (same at Sidewinder X1)

What i am got wrong?

This picture is an example

image.thumb.png.385a44bf1a3fcf7ef5453a78940f8638.png

I have tried on Window and Mac but same problem

Thanks

Edited by Giacomo84

The gray border is your model + the build plate adhesion you choose.  If the model is say 280 x 280 and the build plate is 300 x 300 then that leaves 10mm on each side for the build plate adhesion.  If you have a skirt at 10mm from the model and 6 loops wide then it won't fit and Cura won't slice.

You can try using a single loop for a skirt at 1mm from the model or even go without a skirt.  If you choose to go without - then please wear pants as this is a family site.

• Like 1

Second layer expanded

I am facing a weird issue with Cura 4.13.0 (and previous versions as well) for all objects I want to slice.

The second layer (not the first) is slightly expanded compared to all the other ones.

To illustrate, let’s assume I want to print a basic small cube.  I load the cube (STL file), slice it with default installation settings and the preview shows that all the layers are perfectly vertically aligned. 

image.thumb.png.0bc0b3642729a3d639f435e59cc4bba1.png

I then save the G-code to disk, clean the build plate and just re-open the generated G-code file.

image.thumb.png.024dbb2dc6ee6a30df54f5e815952b40.png

As you can see, all the layers including the first one are all well aligned except the second layer which is wider.  Of course this second layer expansion is visible on the printed object.

Any idea why this occurs?

Load a model like that cube into Cura and set up to slice.  Then use the "File  | Save Project" command.  Post the 3mf file here.  A project file contains all your settings, the printer, and the model.

I've been using Cura 4.13.1 for a while now, and have had great results. However, I'm currently trying to print a rather large part with PET-G and a few modifications to the profile, and I'm getting some odd behavior that is resulting in several additional hours of print time. I've uploaded the .ufp file. I happened to walk into the print room while it was on the 90th layer, and saw the head flying back and forth for no reason that made any sense. Looking back at the .ufp file, I can see what it is doing, but not sure why. It is clearly not efficient. 

If anyone knows of some parameter changes that might prevent this, please let me know. 

Edit: it seems to be due to my choice of 999 bottom layers rather than 100% fill. This increased the print time by about 4 hours.

845509185_UMS5_CenterShellV4.3dPETG.ufp

Edited by jones4642

Thanks Greg

Here is the Small Cube saved project.

I also uploaded the stl basic shape in case of.

SmallCube.3mf SmallCube.stl

@4N6 is that wider layer showing up in prints?

I sliced your 3mf file, saved the Gcode, cleared the plate, and opened the Gcode in 4.13.  I don't see the wider layer.  Looking through the gcode all the outer walls are identical square movements by the nozzle.  I switched to Relative Extrusion to see how much filament was going down in case of an over-flow situation.  It wasn't there.

If you open the gcode file in Notepad you can do a search for "wall-outer" and see what the coordinates of the layer movements are.  If you go to Special Modes and enable Relative Extrusion it will be easier to read.

This is what I got in the gcode for Layer:0:

G1 F900 X184.7 Y184.7 E0.96787
    G1 X184.7 Y175 E0.48393
    G1 X184.7 Y165.3 E0.48393
    G1 X165.3 Y165.3 E0.96787
    G1 X165.3 Y184.7 E0.96787

This is Layer:1 (the second layer)

G1 F2850 X184.7 Y184.7 E0.96787
    G1 X184.7 Y175 E0.48393
    G1 X184.7 Y165.3 E0.48393
    G1 X165.3 Y165.3 E0.96787
    G1 X165.3 Y184.7 E0.96787

The start points were occasionally different, but the numbers are always the same.  It looks like the Z seam is in the middle of a wall.

The Cura gcode reader is separate from the slicer.  This may just be a glitch in the display but you need to take a look at your gcode file and compare the moves on layer0, 1 and 2.  

Yes it shows up on the print.

In the begining, I believed it was an elephant's foot issue but looking more closely I noticed it was not the first but the second layer that was impacted.  Slicing with Prusa (or Slic3r) does not give the problem (and worse, reloading their generated gcode in Cura shows a perfect second layers)

This said, I checked with Notepad my gcode and you are right: all external perimeters are perfectly aligned, the cause is not an expanded second layer.  In fact, when I move the sliding cursor down to show the 3 first layers only...

image.thumb.png.d81eb43ee25f778d2c1564098f787031.png

Doing so, I can clearly see that it's the width of the second line that seems the real issue, not its xy coordinates !  It looks like there is too much extrusion.  I will investigate in that direction. 

When I switch on the "relative extrusion" and I reload the generated gcode, Cura does not display the line width anymore (strange but coherent with an extrusion issue), they are all thin blue lines.  I will test a real print in relative extrusion to see if this might solve the problem. 

I did a little analysis myself.  The outer-wall flows for layers 1, 2, and 3 are all exactly the same and are all at 100.00% of the theoretical numbers for .2 layer height and .6 line width.

After slicing the file in Cura the Preview looked good.

When I opened the gcode file in Cura, Layer 1 looks under-extruded and Layer 2 does look over-extruded.  Excel says no that isn't so.  In the gcode all the outer walls line up exactly.  So I think there may be something going on with the gcode preview in Cura.

I had some left over PLA (wet and old) and printed the cube (Ender 3 Pro).  I change the print and bed temps to 210/50 which are my preferences.

Other than minor problems from pushing my .4 nozzle at .6 line width (a little bulging in the corners), looking at it under the microscope and specifically what was going on mid-wall it looks perfect.  I don't have a camera mount for the microscope but here is the print.  There was some elephant's foot but I generally run initial layer horizontal expansion at -.25 and I did not for this print.

DSCN2877.thumb.JPG.87d889da4608919144db9bbd12d62378.JPG

That gcode preview showing a problem, and your print matching what it shows makes for some confusion.  My normal response for something like this (squished layers) would be to check your Z system and see if there is something loose, or binding, or something.  One thing we know for a certainty is that the problem isn't in the gcode.  The extrusions are exactly right and the movements are exactly right.  I don't think the firmware would do something like this.  That leaves the mechanicals of the printer.  The Cura Preview?  There might be an issue with that too but it would have nothing to do with the print.  Only the gcode goes to the printer.

On 3/18/2022 at 5:07 PM, GregValiant said:

The USB Printing plugin of Cura has not been updated in a long time.  No Ultimaker printers use it because there were glitches that could not be overcome.  You can try to use it if you want.  It does work for some people.

I use the SD card.  It's simple and easy to understand.  Bring a model into Cura, adjust the settings as you want them, slice the model, save the Gcode.

I like to save it to the computer hard drive first (so there is a copy I can access) and then copy the gcode to the SD card and insert the card in the printer.  You can select the file from the LCD menus and print the file.  There are no interruptions when printing from the SD.

The SD card reader on my printer broke the third time I used it so I have been printing via USB from my laptop ever since. Cura would crash occasionally but for the most part this worked well. Since upgrading to Cura version 4.13 this crashing has gotten worse. An 11 hour print stopped about 15 minutes short of finishing last night when Cura crashed again. I am surprised to hear that printing via USB is not supported. If I save the G-code to my hard drive I wonder if the whole job can be downloaded to the printer as opposed to spooling from the laptop through Cura? The card reader on this printer is part of the motherboard. I can buy another motherboard and replace it but I don't trust the card reader to last. 

I only use the SD card reader on my Ender.  It's going on 3 years and I have no idea how many prints and it's fine.  The SD cards on the other hand have to be formatted every couple of months.

I did add an adapter to take a real SD card instead of the mini.  It's large enough to take a bit of abuse and the physically larger memory cards are a lot easier to see when I drop one.  I hated the tiny ones.

The printers running Marlin that make use of the "power loss recovery" feature write to the memory card.  It's where they save the recovery info.  If the memory card reader is broken then the power loss/recovery option likely doesn't work either.  The newer 4.2.x Creality boards I think write firmware changes to the memory card as well (rather than to EEPROM).

As for downloading a file to the printer...I guess that depends on the printer.  If you were to use Octoprint/RaspberyPI as a server then the file goes on that hardware.  PronterFace/PrintRun may be used for printing over the USB by slicing with Cura then opening the file in Pronterface and printing from there.

Dear GregVailant, thanks for the time spent in your investigation and tests.  I will of course double check my printer Z system.

On my side I also made some tests on what might be "a Cura gcode reader video glitch" according to your first reply.

I installed Cura on a brand new laptop (Windows 10) and, as you were not able to see the wider layer on screen, I also installed different printer's models including the same as yours, a Ender 3 Pro.  I then sliced the test cube with each printer profile, saved the g-code and re-importing them in Cura.

Results: The expanded second layer appears only with the Creality profiles (Ender 3 pro & 5 plus) !!!

All the other printer profiles I installed (Prusa i3, Ultimaker S3 and Custom FFF) do not show the wider layer.  For those models, the displayed reloaded layers perfectly match what was shown on the preview screen before saving to file.

I am now convinced that the glitch is a Creality printer profile issue. 

Nice catch.

I've been through the Creality definition files a lot and I don't believe it's in them although there is a lot about Materials (mostly deletions of UM materials) in the Creality_Base.def.json file.

I've never been through the Creality Material Profiles or the Creality Quality Profiles.

I have modified a few of the Creality definition files for my own use and for trouble-shooting printing issues.  Maybe the problem is in a definition file but I've altered it in the definition file I actually use and so the glitch is gone on my system???