Ultimaker 2 'Local Pick-up' at night.

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker 2 'Local Pick-up' at night.

Dear Friends of Ultimaker,

Since we first started with the Ultimaker Protobox things have been looking good.

The future looks bright and through hard work we watched Ultimaker grow into a wonderful company with many happy and active users.

It is amazing to see how the Ultimaker 2 was received by the world and we know that we are still on the right track.

It turns out the Ultimaker 2 is so popular it makes people break the law, because last Sunday some burglars forced their way in our warehouse and stole approx 30 units.

Luckily we have the serial numbers, so we can identify the stolen units.

We would appreciate it very much if you could help us locate these units. By keeping your eyes open for any suspicious sales of Ultimaker 2's

and notify us about it. Perhaps we can prevent these units from being sold and people paying the full price without any of the guarantees or warranties.

Edit: This is what a stolen serial numbers looks like: UM2A07 - MES133755

With combined effort we have been able to prevent any delay in further deliveries.

Any information will be forwarded to the local police.

Thank you for your time.

Wow 30 Units ... they must have had a big Van to put all of this in...

I will check on the sales websites of Belgium, i hope you'll find them.

I'm really sceptical of the ways the thieves will gain profit of these very specific items it's not like a TV or Playstation that you can easily sell on the streets...

Apart from being a really bad story which causes much trouble and costs it is somehow a prove that the UM2 is a useful product for which some people are even taking substantial legal risks.

Most likely they will appear one by one somewhere like Ebay making it difficult to identify by the serial number before purchase.

Most likely they will appear one by one somewhere like Ebay making it difficult to identify by the serial number before purchase.

I think if we can identify the machines even after sale we'll have something. As you could trace it back to the person who sold it. I do not it would be wise to do anything to the person who bought the machine. As they most likely do not know they are buying stolen goods.

It is a very tragic event and it creates a lot of unnecessary costs and head aches.

Luckily we can identify the machines by their serial number which is important.

I don't think we should play detective by trying to catch the thieves, that is why we have police and law-enforcement.

I think we should try to locate the machines because who knows how they are treated now and what damage they take/took. If they are stored in a very cold or moist environment.

Besides, not all machines that were stolen were ready to be shipped out yet.

That can and most likely will become a problem, and we want to avoid customers buying those machines for full price and have no warranty.

Thank you Didier for your efforts to check Belgium sites, it is very much appreciated.

If you want to (have the police) catch the thieves instead of preventing the units from being sold:

DON'T ask for serial numbers before you buy an UM2, but check it afterwards when you have the seller's identity. You'd most probably scare the thief off before you get his identity if you ask for the serial number in advance...

How about asking to register your products online? You could easily integrate a pop-up into Cura when someone selects an Ultimaker as his machine. Maybe you'll find one of your missing serial numbers that way.

If you want to (have the police) catch the thieves instead of preventing the units from being sold:

DON'T ask for serial numbers before you buy an UM2, but check it afterwards when you have the seller's identity. You'd most probably scare the thief off before you get his identity if you ask for the serial number in advance...

That won't work because that would mean someone has to actually buy the machine first, to discover if it is stolen or not. As a customer I would rather keep my money and not buy a stolen unit.

Is it safe to assume that some of the stolen 30 units were allocated to resupply Maker Shed stock for US customers?

Ultimaker recently tweeted that Maker Shed should be getting more stock soon, I'm hoping that the shipment was en route before this incident.

Good luck Ultimaker team.

Hi Pikey,

Thank you for your concern.

In my post I said: 'With combined effort we have been able to prevent any delay in further deliveries.'

So this will not affect their stock.

Hi Pikey,

Thank you for your concern.

In my post I said: 'With combined effort we have been able to prevent any delay in further deliveries.'

So this will not affect their stock.

Ah, I missed that. Thank you for supporting the community through this difficult time.

Bonjour, vous pouvez ajouter une puce rfid sur vos prochaines machines comme un antivol?Ou bloquer l'utilistion d'une machine avec numéro de série comme un iphone géolocalisation?etc

translation:

Hello, you can add a rfid chip on your next machine as a lock? Or block utilistion a machine with serial number as an iphone geolocation, etc.?

Hi Fabrice,

Thank you for your contribution.

Considering this is an english topic, would you mind replying in English?

You could use google translate if you do not speak English.

I don't think we should add too many gadgets or should invest a lot of R&D time in solutions that could help when a unit gets stolen. They shouldn't get stolen, that sounds like the best solution to me! :)

I don't know about other countries but no matter how much you pay for something stolen, you don't get your money back. That's one reason in the USA we say the item is "hot" because whoever is left holding the "hot potato" loses all the money they paid for it.

So if you get one of the "stolen items" and let people know you will lose all that money and your printer you paid for it unless you paid for it using a credit card or something and are able to get your money back. That is why if you buy a used UM2 you should insist on a photo of the serial number unless you are willing to either lose the money or be a partner in this crime (meaning keep the UM2).

ok its way to hot to unload this kind of merchandise on the european market.

If that was me... I would have two options.... get some one to break them up and sell off the components online some where and remove the serial numbers or option 2. after loading the lorry, have the driver take the load directly across Holand. Across Germany and into Poland Czeck Republic or Slovakia and sell them there for cash.

The items are probably out of the country the same night. Would be the smartest option.

So then.. we have an organised crime gang based in holland with contacts in eastern europe... I would be keenly watching all the internal trade magazines forums and alternative ebay sites specifically for those countries.

does anyone know the most popular trade platforms or sales platforms for those countries ??

it would be well worth having us do a quick word search every day for ultimaker and NAIL THESE GUYS !!

Wow, I just read this thread and this makes me completely sick to my stomach. I hope the criminals that stole them are found quickly and deposited in prison for a good long time. Since I have a huge YouTube channel with a large focus on 3D printing I am going to keep an eye and ear out for anyone talking about units they obtained from 3rd parties and if I find some I will get them to check the serial #'s. I get a massive amount of questions about Ultimakers daily so hopefully the criminal will be stupid and get in touch with me also.

I would recommend that you guys put in some craigslist ads and other classified ads looking for Ultimaker 2's cheaper then retail stating you can't afford one directly from them. And see if anyone bites and responds to the ad, I've seen it work before.

I hope you guys get some justice!

Jerry (aka. Barnacules)

http://barnnerd.com

Well, this topic has international attention now :-)

http://www.3ders.org//articles/20140130-cad-burglary-stolen-ultimaker-2-printers.html

Hey guys,

another idea. When you start Cura for the first time, I think it asks you if you want to send data to Ultimaker. If it does, and the people who bought one of the stolen unites performs a firmware update - are you able to catch the serial number?

I doubt that the serial number is electronically stored in the machine - that would for one require a memory location which is not overwritten with a firmware update (I don't think Arduino can do that). And it would mean that they have to program the serial number into the machine individually - a lot of work considering you don't actually do anything with the serial number (for now).

The UM1 kits just come with a sticker that has the serial number on it. I guess that's it.

I'm personally quite against adding weird kind (technological) of anti theft measures. Why? Because the theft, as annoying as it may be, is of less value then the privacy of the users.

Engraving the machine (and / or) the parts with a serial number is okay, but automated tracking system not so much.

• Like 1

any update on this ?

did the cops catch the bad guys ?

Ian :-)

Does that mean 'case solved'?

Would they be stupid enough to sell them in the Netherlands??

Does that mean 'case solved'?

Does not say anything, yet. But there is also one of 1200E on there, which is way more suspicious then 1700E