Jump to content

Drool, Dribble, Drip...


JTMD

Recommended Posts

Posted · Drool, Dribble, Drip...

So, take a look at this pic:

 

image.thumb.png.761ad7d7320a72ecac79e8c6ae738620.png

 

Breakaway Raft with Black PLA+.  See those little dribbles left behind during rapid movements?  I'd love to see those stop.
Now in the past with other printers, I'd be inclined to add some filament retraction but, what do you think?

 

 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Drool, Dribble, Drip...

    A retraction drops the pressure in the nozzle before the nozzle moves on.  Without the retraction the nozzle starts to move while the pressure is still high and it drools until the pressure drops off.

    Why no retraction?  I don't retract when I print TPU but with PLA and (especially) PETG retraction is pretty much mandatory.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted (edited) · Drool, Dribble, Drip...
    2 hours ago, Nicko_Airbus said:

    In cura, can you just enable the option Z hop when retracted or mayble play with the combing mode... Hope this helps. Not expert advice lol

    Z- hop is already enabled.

    Edited by JTMD
    typo
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Drool, Dribble, Drip...
    On 1/26/2022 at 9:27 AM, GregValiant said:

    A retraction drops the pressure in the nozzle before the nozzle moves on.  Without the retraction the nozzle starts to move while the pressure is still high and it drools until the pressure drops off.

    Why no retraction?  I don't retract when I print TPU but with PLA and (especially) PETG retraction is pretty much mandatory.

     

    Retraction WAS enabled - 5.5mm.  I added 3mm and it seemed to fix it, at least when using breakaway and PLA+.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Drool, Dribble, Drip...
    On 1/31/2022 at 9:29 AM, JTMD said:

     

    Retraction WAS enabled - 5.5mm.  I added 3mm and it seemed to fix it, at least when using breakaway and PLA+.

    Oof, that's a lot of retraction. Is the filament dry? Is there any filament drag occurring in the hotend? Sometimes I get rid of dribbles when I turn DOWN retraction, weirdly enough... But then again as you can tell by my most recent post, nothing really makes sense for me. Maybe the speed of retraction is too fast or something... The only thing I can think to do is to play with retraction speed and distance. Start high speed low distance, optimize distance, then optimize speed. Then, try optimizing speed and then distance. Experiment!

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Drool, Dribble, Drip...
    5 hours ago, mcmuffin6o said:

    Oof, that's a lot of retraction. Is the filament dry? Is there any filament drag occurring in the hotend? Sometimes I get rid of dribbles when I turn DOWN retraction, weirdly enough... But then again as you can tell by my most recent post, nothing really makes sense for me. Maybe the speed of retraction is too fast or something... The only thing I can think to do is to play with retraction speed and distance. Start high speed low distance, optimize distance, then optimize speed. Then, try optimizing speed and then distance. Experiment!

     

    It's fixed.  I don't mess with success.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Drool, Dribble, Drip...

    I've been know to "Fix it till I break it".  There comes a point when you have to stand back and say "I'm Done".  That point should generally be before the Harley Tool (also known as a BFH) comes out.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    • Our picks

      • UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 
         
          • Like
        • 7 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

        This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features
         
        Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
          • Like
        • 0 replies
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...