Pause at Height Issue

mdechamps

Posted · Pause at Height Issue

Hi,

I am trying to embed connectors into my print. Previously I used the Print at Height code generator within Cura (V4.13.1) to achieve the result needed. I have an Ultimaker S5 (Firmware 7.0.2)

I have tried several times now to reprint the enclosure with no success.

When the printer restarts the print after the pause the printer display an error of ER65. It would appear that the print nozzle has not been reheated to the correct temperature as when the filament is removed from the machine you can clearly see that the filament has been grind down by the top feed wheel.

I have tried different temps for the extruder whilst paused and minimised the pause time with no luck.

I have attached the G Code and model that I am trying to print.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Matt

UMS5_Body1.gcode UMS5_Body1.ufp

I think you mean "pause at height", right?  Should I fix the title of this topic for you?

@Dim3nsioneer - I have lost track.  Does gcode pausing work on S5?  I can't remember which printers it works and which it does not.  Well I'm pretty sure it works on the UM2.

I have an S5 but I have never tried this feature on my UM3 nor S5.  I know it doesn't work on certain printers and certain firmware versions.

As a workaround there is also a gcode that pauses for some specified number of seconds.  You can manually insert some gcodes to move the head to 0,0, wait a few seconds and then go back to where it left off.  If all you are doing is inserting some metal part hopefully you only need a few seconds.

10 hours ago, gr5 said:

Does gcode pausing work on S5?  I can't remember which printers it works and which it does not.  Well I'm pretty sure it works on the UM2.

It works on the Ultimaker s-line printers but not yet on the 2+ Connect afaik.

11 hours ago, gr5 said:

I think you mean "pause at height", right?  Should I fix the title of this topic for you?

@Dim3nsioneer - I have lost track.  Does gcode pausing work on S5?  I can't remember which printers it works and which it does not.  Well I'm pretty sure it works on the UM2.

I have an S5 but I have never tried this feature on my UM3 nor S5.  I know it doesn't work on certain printers and certain firmware versions.

Morning gr5, yeah sorry for the confusion i mean "Pause at Height".

The function definitely used to work on the S5 as I have used the function in the past.  

I will give your suggestions a go, as you state I only need a few seconds to insert the connectors.

From the OP's gcode file:

M104 S200 ; standby temperature
    M117 Insert Connectors
    M0 ; Do the actual pause
    M109 S210 ; resume temperature

The temperature should be 200 while the machine is paused.  At restart it should heat to 210 before continuing.  Is this the error?

I am assured that the S5 can do pause at height just fine and it clearly properly adds the M0 command into the code as shown by Greg.  So it should work.

But if you say it doesn't work of course it doesn't work.  Is this possibly a new bug with the latest firmware that hasn't been reported yet?  Did this issue start when you upgraded the S5 firmware?  Or maybe you didn't do it quite right?  Sometimes people get layer number and layer mm confused.

I would print a 5 minute print - maybe a 10mm hollow cube.  And see if it's pausing properly.  Don't waste an hour long (or many hour long) print to test if pause at height is still broken.