Printcore BB 0.4 is too low?

Posted · Printcore BB 0.4 is too low?

Hi, I'm currently using the Ultimaker 3 and am facing an issue regarding the 0.4mm Printcore BB. I ordered a new one online and just installed it, but it seems like even when it's raised up it is about a millimeter or so lower than the AA printcore. Did I do something wrong? It won't be able to print the regular material if the support material is the only one that can touch the buildplate.

Posted (edited) · Printcore BB 0.4 is too low?

Have you checked by hand that moving the lifting switch is moving the print core up and down?

If so i would check the AA core is fully seating in right as sometimes they can sit at a angle and you have to push it a little more so it sits right. (Take it out and push it back in)

Other than that posting a image might show up some other problem, but i can not think of anything else that could really be wrong.

Edited by Carla_Birch

If the switch moves right core up and down just fine then run the lift switch calibration procedure in the menu system probably under "maintenance".

On 7/13/2022 at 3:16 AM, Carla_Birch said:

Have you checked by hand that moving the lifting switch is moving the print core up and down?

If so i would check the AA core is fully seating in right as sometimes they can sit at a angle and you have to push it a little more so it sits right. (Take it out and push it back in)

Other than that posting a image might show up some other problem, but i can not think of anything else that could really be wrong.

I'll post an image as soon as I can, but yes I was manually adjusting the print core with the lift switch. To my knowledge the AA core was in correctly as I was printing with it beforehand. 

On 7/13/2022 at 1:39 PM, CarloK said:

Which firmware version do you have installed on your UM3?

It should be the latest version

On 7/13/2022 at 9:26 AM, gr5 said:

If the switch moves right core up and down just fine then run the lift switch calibration procedure in the menu system probably under "maintenance".

It moves the core up and down but even when it is up it is still lower than the AA print core.

Please post a few pictures of this, or even better, a video if you can.

Check the mechanics inside the print head. Half a year ago there was a post from someone where the spring inside the print head, for the right nozzle, was dislocated.
    Sorry, I don't remember the post.

Okay it's sounding like the problem is with the left core then?  That it is too high.  And the right core goes up and down just fine.  Or maybe the right core barely goes up at all and is always basically in the down position?  Travel distance for the right core should be 3mm vertically. 

You really need to show us a 5 second video of the problem please.  Pictures or a few seconds of video will tell us more than you writing out an hours worth of explanation.

There is this metal plate in the base of the print head.  This metal plate sets the printing position of the 2 cores.  The plate is shaped like a pitch fork.  The cores have a rounded shiny part that rests in the plate.  The cores are pushed down into the plate with a spring in each core.  The only spring in a print core is the spring I mean.

The way it is supposed to work:  If you slide the lifting switch on the print head then the right core goes up and is about 1.5mm higher than the left core.  Then you slide the lifting switch back again and now the right core should be about 1.5mm lower than the left core.  Total travel of the right core should be pretty close to 3mm and the left core should be half way between the up and down position of the right core.

When you do active leveling it tests  where each core touches the glass bed.  The right core should be 1.5mm lower and the tolerance is .7mm.  So if the right core is 0.69mm lower then it fails but if it's .7 through 2.2mm lower then the test passes.