Print layer are shifting in middle of the prints

guna

Posted (edited) · Print layer are shifting in middle of the prints

That sure looks to be mechanical.

What printer are we talking about?  If it is not an Ultimaker then:

Are your belts tight?  The trolley wheels are all adjusted correctly?  The hot end hold down screws are tight?

If it is an Ultimaker then maybe @gr5 can help.

Edited by GregValiant

• 4 weeks later...
    Posted · Print layer are shifting in middle of the prints

Hey @guna,

Ugh, that looks really off. 😦

You can try to perform some maintanance on your axis. Instructions can be found here:

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011529260-Check-for-play-on-the-Ultimaker-S-line-axles

There could also be some shifting on your buildplate.

What type of adhesion are you using?
    Did the printjob come loose during printing? 
    Is your buildplate secured snuggly in the clips?

It could also be settings/temperature related. Can you share your project file with us? 
    To save a project file go to File -> Save project. 

Thank you 🥰

4 weeks later?  Wow.  Not in a rush.  No judgement.  Okay this really sucks.  I feel your pain.

I've never seen it quite like this.  I have 2 theories:

1) check if the print head is loose or the core.  When it isn't printing push with just a pound of force (don't push hard) on the nozzle left/right/in/out and see if there is a lot of play.  If the amount of play is similar to the deviations thent that must be it.

2) slipping pulley.  The pulleys can slip but the direction doesn't usually cancel out and come back over and over to the starting spot so this is strange unless there is a flat spot on the axis?  Also this kind of layer movement usually only happens on one axis.  Is it possible it's only happening on X or Y but not both?

If so then I'd tighten the hell out of all the pulleys for that axis.  Push the head back and forth in the "bad" axis and see which belts and pulleys move.  Tighten the hell out of the set screws on the side of those pulleys.  Especially get the one on the stepper.  If you have a long allen wrench you can get it into the pulley without having to take those corner-covers off.  If you do take the corner cover off it's only 1 or 2 screws (if you are removing more than 2 screws then you don't understand what I mean by "corner cover").

Did you ever resolve this?  It's hard to help you when it takes 4 weeks to get answers to questions but we want to help.

Okay @guna this conversation is just going too slow for me so I'm out.  I gave you 9 weeks.  If you ever reply I will not see your reply but I want to.  I want to learn more about your issue and help you solve it.  So if you ever reply here in this topic please also send me a direct message.  Click on my icon to the left and then there will be a blue "message" button and send me a link to this topic or just say it's "print layer are shifting in middle of the prints" and I can google my way back to this topic.

I have to say I'm very interested in your problem as I've never seen it before.  It's probably related to a problem I *have* seen before as I've seen them all.