Painfully long paus after print before "complete"

wh21067

Posted · Painfully long paus after print before "complete"

UM% Pro w/ the materials station.

After our prints complete, it just sits there for what seems like an eternity saying "finishing" before retracting the filament and lowering the bed.

This is extremely annoying... what is it doing during this time? I have already used UltiTuner to disable the auto bed-cooldown. I want to just grab my part and move on to the next print.

Can whatever this is... be bypassed? 

In general we love our UM5 but geez all this automated stuff makes it very frustrating.

It used to lower the bed more than it does now.

It waits for the cores to cool to a specific temperature and then it retracts the filament in both heads.  This allows you to change filaments or cores at some future time without having to heat up the core.  By cooling a bit you get a better tip to the filament when it retracts.  You don't want a very thin long string as this can cause problems later.

But I agree, it's frustrating.  It used do this with the bed all the way down so I could grab my print as soon as it finished (if I wanted).  Know that for PLA the bed is above the softening temp so it's probably best to let the bed cool to 50C before removing your part.  Otherwise you may deform the part a bit.

• Like 1

Yeah... but 90% of the time my next print is with the same core, same material. And its gonna do its auto-purge thing at the beginning anyway. So its completely unnecessary.

I understand UM having modes like this that make everything likely to be perfect, but I really wish there was a button on the interface to switch to "pro user mode" that does nothing extra and lets you directly control everything. Or at least lets you selectively disable stuff.

It's just one of the crazy annoying features on the bundle. It's just so so so slow at everything, it costs me hours a week just standing looking at the thing doing basically nothing. 

For the love of god a Pro mode where we can bypass all these "features" would be a dream come true. I find myself using my ultimaker 2 more than the £10k S5, which is sad but it just works.

9 hours ago, Super_paulie said:

I find myself using my ultimaker 2 more than the £10k S5

So right, nothing beats the good old UM2 👍

I love my um2go printers.  I have 3 of them (modified with heated bed, better feeder, and olsson block) and they do most of the work but it's very handy to have the S5 for when I need dissolvable support or even when I'm just printing some nylon parts.

Hey @wh21067,

Can you try todays release of the firmware? I believe it solves your struggle 🎉

Skip cooldown. At the end of a print (when finished or aborted), the Confirm removal option will be available immediately, without waiting for the build plate to cool down. This improves the end-of-print workflow and allows the next print job to be started faster.

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012055979

• Like 2

On 8/24/2022 at 8:12 AM, MariMakes said:

Hey @wh21067,

Can you try todays release of the firmware? I believe it solves your struggle 🎉

Skip cooldown. At the end of a print (when finished or aborted), the Confirm removal option will be available immediately, without waiting for the build plate to cool down. This improves the end-of-print workflow and allows the next print job to be started faster.

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012055979

I have read about this elsewhere  - but no.. .this feature doesn't appear for me. We have 7.1.3 but I never get an option to confirm removal until after it has gone through the whole process.

Any idea why that may be?

For our S5+ bundle this could easily take more than a day nowadays, it used to be much faster. however it almost looks stuck on finishing for the last few weeks. Is there anything we can do? 

Just as an update, I have tried everything and looked everywhere, and see no sign of how to skip cooldown. It always just goes to the end... very painfully slow.

Do you have a Material Station connected? If so, the skip cooldown option doesn't seem to appear.

10 hours ago, alfonsvh said:

Do you have a Material Station connected? If so, the skip cooldown option doesn't seem to appear.

Indeed we do!

Why would that be?

I *love* our materials station but this is so frustrating I'd almost be tempted to disconnect it lol.

It's the most frustrating piece of junk I've ever owned! Slow as hell, most spools don't fit. When you get a snapped filament its not clever enough to know and marks it as empty when it isn't it visa versa. It would be in the bin if it didn't cost so much.