cura is setting nozzle temp to 175 no matter what temp i put it at and my prints are looking like normal then everywhere(image provided)

Posted · cura is setting nozzle temp to 175 no matter what temp i put it at and my prints are looking like normal then everywhere(image provided)

ive been trying to make my 3d prints look better and needed to update cura so i updated cura and sliced a benchy with 200 degrees for the nozzle but when I put the sd card into the printer it only heated to 175 and I had to manually increase the heat to 200 for my PLA. After I did this I would wait for it to start printing and when it started printing it would get a bit into it then scramble itself. Anyone know why this happens and/or how to fix it I would be grateful thanks!

20220817_191829.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted · cura is setting nozzle temp to 175 no matter what temp i put it at and my prints are looking like normal then everywhere(image provided)

@xphillyboy it works fine for most people.  Something is wrong.  What kind of printer are you using and what did you select for your machine profile?

Actually - just post your project file.  That will answer my question and also show what profile and settings you are using and show us your model as well.  To do this go to "file" "save project..." and post that file here.

Hey all,

Failed printjobs can have a lot of causes. 😖

Causes can be found in your printer, but also in your slicer. 

Do you have a project file for us? It contains the printer and settings we need for troubleshooting. 
    To save a project file go to File -> Save project.

I noticed in version 5.1 of Cura, it now has a standby temp of 175 for pla.  It preheats nozzle to 175, then heats bed, then resumes heating the nozzle to print setting.  This is part of the start code in your machine profile.  Might want to see if this is part of issue.

From what I've read the Creality definition file for the Ender 3 Pro (at least) was altered to add that "heat to standy" line to keep down oozing during the Auto-Level routine.  It's in there whether you have an ABL or not.  You can stick a semi-colon in front of the line and the printer will ignore it.

I would suggest that you change it to M104 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0}.  That will start the hot end heating and start the bed heating without waiting.

This is from the new definition file:

; Ender 3 Custom Start G-code

G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder

G28 ; Home all axes

M104 S{material_standby_temperature} ; Start heating up the nozzle most of the way

M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ; Start heating the bed, wait until target temperature reached

M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ; Finish heating the nozzle

• Like 1

I figured this out and I'm putting this answer in every forum I've found for this topic as none of the solutions I've seen in them were the solution that fixed my problem.

Cura was starting at the right temp but as soon as it started printing, it dropped the temp to 175. For my issue, it was related to the specific material I had chosen. In settings under Materials, check the material(s) you have selected for your print. On the Print Settings tab, there is a standby temperature. Changing that to the actual print temperature fixed this for my situation. I may be late with this but hopefully it helps you or someone else searching for this problem.

On 1/26/2023 at 2:26 PM, torstrick said:

I may be late with this but hopefully it helps you or someone else searching for this problem.

Better late than never. I believe this is the answer to those facing this issue. I will say this only started when I recently decided to update my Cura to 5.3.1. I was previously on 4.x.x. (cant recall). Thank you!

Posted (edited) · cura is setting nozzle temp to 175 no matter what temp i put it at and my prints are looking like normal then everywhere(image provided)

I have a similar problem with the new Cura 5.6, I do a preheat to 250° for PETG and it heats fine but when I hit print it drops the extruder temperature to 140° and stays there, (not melting filament at that temperature).

I am using this on a brand new Elegoo Neptune 4 Pro which has printed flawlessly with the Elegoo version of Cura that came with it but switched because everyone says the 5.1 is better.

I switched back to the Elegoo Cura for the same print and everything worked fine and the temperature stayed where it was supposed to.  I  didn't need any custom settings to get the new Cura to see the Neptune, everything looked great!

Any ideas?

Edited by tefoss

What printer definition file did you use to install the printer in Cura?  There is a good chance that the problem is in the StartUp gcode.

Have you looked into the gcode to see where the command is that is telling the printer to go to 140?

Thanks for the quick response, Cura automatically found my printer on the network and installed it itself.

I don't know the code but the only 140 I see is three lines down, M104 S140, is that the line that tells the printer to go to 140°?

I have a print going now trying in Elegoo Cura to print a PETG Raspberry Pi case.  I can try again in Cura 5.6 as soon as the print finishes or fails...

M220 S100

M221 S100

M104 S140

M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0}

G90

G28

G1 Z10 F300

G1 X67.5 Y0 F6000

G1 Z0 F300

M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0}

G92 E0

G1 X67.5 Y0 Z0.4 F300

G1 X167.5 E30 F400

G1 Z0.6 F120.0

G1 X162.5 F3000

That code is more suitable to a printer with ABL, but there are no ABL codes (G29 or M420).

You are pre-heating the nozzle.  When the print starts the "M104 S140" line is setting the hot end to 140.  With an ABL system that would be nice so the nozzle doesn't drool on the bed as the ABL does it's thing.  You don't want that if you are manually leveling the bed.

After auto-homing (G28), the "M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0}" line should set the hot end back to the Initial Layer Print Temperature.  "M109 S" means "set the hot end temp and wait for it to be reached".  Even though the temperature is dropping to 140 during the startup, that Startup gcode should work.

If you are manually leveling I think this would be more suitable.  It will work whether you are pre-heating or not.  I suggest that you install another instance of your printer in Cura and test this startup gcode.

;-------------StartUp
    M220 S100             ;Reset feed rate to 100%
    M221 S100             ;Reset flow rate to 100%
    G21                   ;Metric Units
    G90                   ;Absolute movement
    M82                   ;Absolute extrusion
    M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0}              ;Start the bed heater
    M104 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0}             ;Start the hot end heater
    G28                   ;Auto-Home
    G92 E0                ;Reset extruder
    G1 F{speed_z_hop * 60} Z10          ;Move up
    M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0}              ;Wait for the bed temperature
    M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0}             ;Wait for the hot end temperature
    M300 P250             ;Short beep
    G1 F{speed_travel * 60} X10 Y0      ;Move to purge start
    G1 F{speed_z_hop * 60} Z0.3         ;Move to purge height
    G1 F{speed_print * 40} X160 Y0 E30  ;150mm Purge line at 2/3 print speed
    G1 F{retraction_retract_speed * 60} E28          ;Short retraction
    G1 F{speed_z_hop * 60} Z0.4         ;Move up a little
    G1 F{speed_travel * 60} X150 Y0     ;Wipe the nozzle
    G92 E0                ;Reset the extruder
    ;-------------End of StartUp

Since you are pre-heating (to level I presume) you could do without the M190 and M109 lines.  Each of them can cause a 10 second delay as the printer decides if the temperature has been reached.  They are there as a safety to insure that the bed and hot end are up to temperature before any extrusions.

The Marlin commands are HERE.  I suggest you look up the ones that appear in your Startup so you understand what they are telling the printer to do.

The Cura keywords are HERE.  Cura Keywords must be enclosed in curly brackets.  The "speed" words are " * 60" because Cura uses mm/second but gcode uses mm/minute.

Found this problem, there is a sensor on the extruder assembly that determines how high the nozzle is from the build plate and this was off center, not screwed in tight from the factory.  I realigned this sensor and now it is leveling again without driving the nozzle through the build plate.