Fix for Ulticontroller knob double stepping for every index?

Posted · Fix for Ulticontroller knob double stepping for every index?

It seems like for every index I advance the knob, the Ulticontroller makes 2 steps in the menu. I can still use the machine by carefully holding the knob at a half index while pushing, but it is annoying.

Is there a fix for this?

The problem is when you want to raise the nozzle temp from 0 to 220C it takes 220 steps to get there which takes too long as it is. Cutting the steps in half would make it take twice as long for me to set the temp to 220. I prefer the way it is now - at least for setting nozzle temp. Same for fan speed (0 to 100%) which maybe should be in increments of 2 or 5%.

The problem is when you want to raise the nozzle temp from 0 to 220C it takes 220 steps to get there which takes too long as it is. Cutting the steps in half would make it take twice as long for me to set the temp to 220. I prefer the way it is now - at least for setting nozzle temp. Same for fan speed (0 to 100%) which maybe should be in increments of 2 or 5%.

For me its ok, just hold it in between,

but maybe (i don't know about programing) it would be nice to go faster in the steps in the temp menus, and slower in the main menu

It works alright in the menus. When it annoys me is when I am jogging the head to check calibration.

The method I have developed is to jog the head over 10 mm, take a measurement, then jog it a little further before bringing it back to 10 mm and taking another measurement. I then do the same thing around 50 mm and repeat the process a few time to take an average.

Measuring the head position after going in both directions helps average out backlash. When backing up, if I accidentally go to 9.8 instead of 10, I have to go forward to 12 and try again. Also, if 10 falls on a halfstep, then I have to pray that the control doesn't slip while I take my measurement.

The solution for temperature and fan speed might be to increment in large amounts if you turn the control faster.

Am I to assume you're discussing the Ulticontroller on the UM2? If so, maybe the following is irrelevant.

For me on the UM1 its the opposite. 2 detents to make one move. I found it to be a slight annoyance.

But what I find more annoying is that for most if not all moves, the dial direction is the intuitive opposite of the way I want the display to change.

I am talking about the Ulticontroller on the UM 1.

If the problem goes both ways, then maybe there needs to be a calibration routine. Something where it asks you to turn the knob 20 indents and measures the movement. I believe I could make such a contribution as a menu option, if I knew where the source for the version that is distributed with Cura is maintained. I don't have any interest in making just my own modification, because I don't want to have to re apply the code change every time cura is updated.

I recently pushed some modifications to ErikZalm/Marlin which is the main repository for Marlin on Github. If I'm not completely wrong then Daid merges modifications from there to Ultimaker/Marlin which is the source for the UM1 default firmware and to which e.g. illuminarti recently pushed some modifications.

If you issue a pull request to one of these two repositories the modification will find its way to the UM1s.