Ghost in the Machine

RBlackman

Posted · Ghost in the Machine

I guess it is included in the STL file. Can you provide the file, that we can check it?

Or go through the layer view in the preview, then you should see it too.

Hello and thanks for the reply

When I scroll through the layers on Cura Preview the patterns do not appear.

These artifacts appear at random locations,  usually the first  one is very clear and a line of

2 or 3 copies that fade away with each successive one.

At first I thought is was a watermark  on downloaded .stl files, but the artifacts also appear on my own designs.

Since they appear at random locations, I do not think they originate from the heat-bed?

It looks like the blue tape you have on your buildplate is coming loose. Could it be that the pattern you see are remnants of a previous print? Eg spots in the blue tape where you pulled off a previous print and did not push the blue tape back down?

This is quite odd. 
    I really want to take a look at your model! 🔍

Do you have a project file for us?
    It contains the printer and settings we need for troubleshooting. 
    To save a project file go to File -> Save project.

Can you check or send a picture of your print bed without the blue tape. It looks like a screw head which could come through?

• Like 1

Hello again and thank you for your interest in this rather puzzling problem.

1) there are no screws under tape.

2) there is no difference whether the tape is on the smooth aluminum bed or whether I use

a sticky "pop off" sheet  on a 2mm plastic pad over the heat bed.

3) I have printed a new model with the artifact appearing in a different place.

This is not random goop from the tape.  Note the clean pattern.

4) I include a photo of the original print beside the new print.

5) I also include the  .3mf file for those who are interesting in further investigation

many thanks /Richard B

Artifacts 2.jpg

TXY2PRO_GRINDER GUIDE(1).3mf

I would say a problem with the blue tape, especially if it is random.

Thanks for sharing the file. 

I took a look and I don't seen anything in your layerview that could indicates a ghost. 😥
    Except from, perhaps, your infill pattern. But that would be very unlikely.

It also reminds me of these footprints
    Crime-Criminal-Pets-Crimescene

• Like 1

To me it looks like infill is shining through, because in the first pic it seems to repeat very faintly in the rest of the print too? Or is that just my brain that repeats the pattern, after staring for too long at it?

If it had been on the bottom layers, I would guess a greasy dirty build plate, but that can't be on top layers obviously.

If a printer would have mechanical issues, like linear bearings with defects plus rods with defects, I wonder if that could echo into the print like this? Seems far fetched to me, but maybe not impossible?

I often add watermarks to my prints, thus hollow text inside a print, but that is clearly visible in the slicer, if you set it to transparent mode, or layer-by-layer view. And it is definitely not random. Any model-defects like double faces, or minor indents, should also show up in the slicer preview.

Posted (edited) · Ghost in the Machine
    On 10/11/2022 at 4:25 PM, darkdvd said:

I would say a problem with the blue tape, especially if it is random.

I hadn't noticed that the problem was also on the top of the prints... sorry.

The pattern looks like a Phillips screw head...
    Would one of the axes (X or Y) touch another element as it moves?

The screw may be much smaller than the impression left on the print.

@RBlackman What is the type of printer?

Edited by darkdvd