XY Calibration Questions

leonhart88

Posted · XY Calibration Questions

I have some questions about the XY calibration routine on the S3 and S5.

Like our Raise3D E2, it lays down a line pattern, with what I assume is increasing offsets of the right extruder in both the X & Y direction.

What confuses me is the example given in the template that you print out.  It shows that the "correct" value is +15...but isn't -6 the closest "correct" value?  Support told me that both these numbers would work...but if these represent actual physical offsets between nozzles, how can there be 2 solutions?

Also - what do these numbers actually represent?  On my E2, each number represents 0.1mm.  Measuring this template and doing some math...it seems like each number represents 0.15mm which seems like an odd number.

image.png

I think perhaps @IRobertI knows the answer to your questions.  I have also been annoyed by the example for the exact same reason.  However in practice I think I've never gone beyond +/- 2.  But I only have one UM3 and one S5 so maybe I got lucky.

I'm not sure how you got .15mm.  Did you do this after doing the XY cal or by looking at the pdf file?  I'm not sure if the two things match very well.  I think it's much smaller than .15mm.  More likely .05mm or .025mm?  Someone told me once - but now I forget.

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you either I'm afraid. Honestly I haven't used the template in many years. I just count from the center to the closest match, be it positive or negative. Usually you end up with an offset +-6 or so at most in my experience. I haven't really put more thought into it than that as I haven't had a reason to as it has never been a problem (I've printed plenty without doing any calibration as well for that matter).

As gr5 mentions, the PDF doesn't perfectly match up to the actual printed pattern, something that I've gotten a few calls about as well, so you can't use that to measure.

• Like 1

I got 0.15mm by printing the template out and measuring the example...but it's probably not to scale as you suggested.

Support actually got back to me and told me each line step represents roughly 73 microns...which seems like a weird number.

The calibration routine itself isn't an issue...I'm actually asking because I'm making a camera tool that measures offsets on all my printers without having to print any line patterns - the goal is to be able to calibrate all the machines much quicker.

In some of my other printers, the line patterns increment in 0.1mm, or let the user enter offset values in mm units.  The Ultimaker is an exception, so I'm trying to reverse engineer it so I can use the same camera tool on all my printers.

I believe the XY calibration is stored per printcore pair.  The cal values are stored based on 2 serial numbers (one from each core).  So most people have to do it once or twice ever.  Once for the AA 0.4/AA 0.4 combination and once for their AA 0.4/BB 0.4 combination (much more common I expect).

If you add a few more cores and combinations then maybe you have to calibrate quite a few times I suppose.  Or if you are often buying new cores (I've never had to).

• Like 1