Configuration for Weedo Tina2 3D Printer using UltiMaker Cura 5.2.1 for Windows 64-bit

senracg

Posted · Configuration for Weedo Tina2 3D Printer using UltiMaker Cura 5.2.1 for Windows 64-bit

My 3D Printer is not listed in the configuration setup for UltiMaker Cura 5.2.1 for Windows 64-bit.  Does anyone know what would be an acceptable configuration for a Weedo Tina2 3D Printer - Version 2.16.1  I'm not familiar with some of the selections, when trying to set up a configuration, manually.

Here is the link to the manufacturer's product:  http://www.weedo.ltd/product-detail/tina2

Below is some basic information concerning the Weedo Tina2 3D Printer - Version 2.16.1

Printing

Layer Resolution

0.1mm

Nozzle Diameter

0.4mm

Build Volume

100x105x100mm

Nozzle Speed

40 mm/s

Positioning Accuracy

Z Axis 0.0025mm; X,Y Axis 0.011mm

Mechanical

Product Dimensions

210x210x290mm

Weight

3Kg

Voltage

110-220V

Power Supply

60W

Extruder

Quick Release Single Nozzle

Filament Supply

External Filament Tray

Filament And Software

Filament Compatibility

PLA

Printing Mode

USB, TF Card, WIFI

Software

Wiibuilder 2.1.6, Cura 3.3.0

Supported File Type

STL / GCODE/ OBJ

Posted · Configuration for Weedo Tina2 3D Printer using UltiMaker Cura 5.2.1 for Windows 64-bit

Hey @senracg,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

A quick google search shows me to this custom Weedo Cura. But it's super old 👵
    http://www.weedo.ltd/?wpdmpro=cura4-3-0_win64

You can reach out to the manufacturer to supply you with an updated version. 

That Cura version has the definitions files you need.

Since Cura is open source, you or anyone else is more than welcome to work on adding this 3d printer and create a pull request yourself. You can find instructions on how to add a new 3D printer definition here: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/wiki/Adding-new-machine-profiles-to-Cura 

If you are stuck in any way, please reach out! I'll be happy to help out. 

• 4 weeks later...
    Posted (edited) · Configuration for Weedo Tina2 3D Printer using UltiMaker Cura 5.2.1 for Windows 64-bit

Hi,

I'm quite new to 3d Printing myself but I have a Weefun Tina2 (which is a rebadged Weedo Tina2) and mine came with the following software on SD card:

Wiibuilder 2.1.6.0

Cura 4.10.0

The version of Cura 4.10.0 seems to be customised to include definitions for this printer which don't exist in a vanilla install of Cura.

While the provided version of Cura seems to work fine, I wanted to try the Arachne engine on later versions.

I was able to successfully transfer the definitions over to a fresh installation of Cura 5.2.1 and for the most part it seems to work OK, however some of the default profiles differ a little as well - for example the profiles provided in their version of Cura 4.10.0 specify a first layer temperature of 215C and remaining layers 200C, while the defaults in 5.2.1 have 200C for both. I'm not sure which files in their default install define this or whether it would be appropriate to overwrite the profile files in the new version anyway, so I just changed it manually and saved it in my own custom profiles.

I've attached (hopefully) a zip file with the definitions - I've included all the Weedo related files including other Weedo models as I don't know for sure how many of them are needed.

In the zip file files within the definitions folder should be copied to C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.2.1\share\cura\resources\definitions and files in the extruders folder copied to C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.2.1\share\cura\resources\extruders. (or equivalent if you're installed to a different location)

In both cases, if any file already exists I'd suggest saying no to replacing it. In my case one of the files for the Weedo x40 already existed so I chose not to replace it. (I don't have that printer anyway)

I am currently successfully slicing using Cura 5.2.1, I then save the generated gcode to disk and use the provided Wiibuilder app only to upload the file over WiFi. (just open the gcode file and then go directly to uploading it) This needs an SD card in the printer to work as it just seems to upload it to the SD card then print it from there.

I have found the Weedo provided G-code start and stop files are somewhat "sub-optimal" - in particular after the automatic bed levelling is done it leaves the extruder over the middle of the print area while it heats up to full temperature so any leakage as the extruder heats up can end up landing in the middle of the print area, so I find I sometimes have to quickly grab the leakage and pull it from the tip shortly before the target temperature is reached.

I spent quite a while modifying the start g-code trying to work around this - I changed it to bring the nozzle to the front left so that any leakage would come down just off the corner of the build plate, and then to come down and draw a horizontal line from left to right at the front edge of the plate to "wipe" the nozzle clean.

This actually worked quite well but I ran into bugs (?) with the g-code processing in the printer where on specific files it sometimes ignores the M109 S215 command and starts trying to print at the 150C pre-heat, and also skips some of the moves immediately after the M109 command. I've spent quite a few hours debugging this problem and my conclusion is the M109 command is buggy and does not always function properly depending on which commands follow it later in the print job... so I have gone back to the original simpler start G-code provided by Weedo which doesn't seem to trigger this bug.

I've also noticed bugs in the handling of the end G-code - even with the default one provided, depending on the specific print job the printing will sometimes just end abruptly without turning the heating element off, returning the extruder to the home position and sliding the bed to the front as it should - if you don't catch this and manually home the extruder soon after it stops you'll end up with a big lump on the top of your print that you'll have to slice off. Annoying.

Maybe someone who is a whiz with g-code can have a look at my custom g-code vs the provided code in another thread and work out why some of my modifications don't always work... (one trigger seems to be if the 150C preheat set by M104 is already reached before the M109 S215 command is executed, M109 and some of the following commands are skipped entirely)

Weedo Cura Definitions.zip

Edited by DBMandrake
    • Like 1

For people who don't want to do lots of copying of files, it would be better if you could save a project file.  It doesn't need to have a model in it (no stl needed).  Setup everything with the right machine settings, and the right profile, then do in menu "save" "project file..." and post that file which will contain the machine settings and profile settings.  People can open that in any version of cura newer than the version in which you saved it.

• Like 1

Hi guys.

@DBMandrake It would be a lot easier if you had just included a project file.

From the WeedoX40 definition file:

;(**** start.gcode for X40 DUAL****)
    M104 S150
    M203 Z15
    G28 ; Home extruder
    G29
    M107 ; Turn off fan
    G90 ; Absolute positioning
    M82 ; Extruder in absolute mode
    G1 X-47 F3000
    T1 S
    M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} T1
    G92 E0
    G1 E40 F300
    G92 E0
    T0 S
    M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} T0
    G92 E0
    G1 E40 F300
    G92 E0
    M203 Z2

There are a couple of things.

The Weedo base definition file states:

"material_bed_temp_wait":
            "default_value": false
    "material_print_temp_wait":
            "default_value": false

The "print temp wait" doesn't matter since you have M109 lines in the StartUp.  The "bed temp wait" is a problem because Cura will not be adding an M190 line before the startup and so you are leveling with a cold bed.  You can over-ride those if you load the Printer Settings plugin from the MarketPlace.  You could also add a bed temp line to the StartUp like "M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0}" prior to the G28 line.

In the StartUp gcode are these lines

G1 X-47 F3000
    T1 S

T0 S

Within the definition file it specifically states that "Origin at Center" is false but that G1 line is telling the printer to move to a negative location X-47.  That would seem to be a contradiction.  Since it's a dual extruder maybe it can get there.

The T1 S line and T0 S line have the S parameter, but there is no number.  MarlinFW does not show any parameters for a tool change line.  Maybe your firmware makes something of the "S"?

There is no mention of Bed Temperature in the stock Startup Gcode.  Cura should be adding an M140 line before the StartUp.  You need to check a Gcode file to make sure that is happening.  If it is, then your StartUp should work (other than the "cold bed" thing).

The M203 lines set the max feed rates and that ending M203 Z2 is limiting your Z axis to 2mm/sec.  You need to decide if that is appropriate.  In the definition file that Max Z Feed Rate is 5.

The ending gcode has an error and it needs to be fixed locally or in the X40 definition file.  It's missing a semi-colon right at the beginning so the opening line "(*********end X40 End..." is being passed to the printer as a command instead of being ignored as a comment.  It needs a semi-colon added.  I've added a double below since it's hard to see otherwise.

"machine_end_gcode": {
                 "default_value": ";;(*********end X40 End

Other than possibly leveling with a cold bed I don't see any real issues there.  You will need to check the X-47 move to make sure it's appropriate and whether having the "S" parameters in the tool change lines is proper syntax for your printer.

• Heart 1

On 1/8/2023 at 7:25 PM, DBMandrake said:

Hi,

I'm quite new to 3d Printing myself but I have a Weefun Tina2 (which is a rebadged Weedo Tina2) and mine came with the following software on SD card:

Wiibuilder 2.1.6.0

Cura 4.10.0

The version of Cura 4.10.0 seems to be customised to include definitions for this printer which don't exist in a vanilla install of Cura.

While the provided version of Cura seems to work fine, I wanted to try the Arachne engine on later versions.

I was able to successfully transfer the definitions over to a fresh installation of Cura 5.2.1 and for the most part it seems to work OK, however some of the default profiles differ a little as well - for example the profiles provided in their version of Cura 4.10.0 specify a first layer temperature of 215C and remaining layers 200C, while the defaults in 5.2.1 have 200C for both. I'm not sure which files in their default install define this or whether it would be appropriate to overwrite the profile files in the new version anyway, so I just changed it manually and saved it in my own custom profiles.

I've attached (hopefully) a zip file with the definitions - I've included all the Weedo related files including other Weedo models as I don't know for sure how many of them are needed.

In the zip file files within the definitions folder should be copied to C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.2.1\share\cura\resources\definitions and files in the extruders folder copied to C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.2.1\share\cura\resources\extruders. (or equivalent if you're installed to a different location)

In both cases, if any file already exists I'd suggest saying no to replacing it. In my case one of the files for the Weedo x40 already existed so I chose not to replace it. (I don't have that printer anyway)

I am currently successfully slicing using Cura 5.2.1, I then save the generated gcode to disk and use the provided Wiibuilder app only to upload the file over WiFi. (just open the gcode file and then go directly to uploading it) This needs an SD card in the printer to work as it just seems to upload it to the SD card then print it from there.

I have found the Weedo provided G-code start and stop files are somewhat "sub-optimal" - in particular after the automatic bed levelling is done it leaves the extruder over the middle of the print area while it heats up to full temperature so any leakage as the extruder heats up can end up landing in the middle of the print area, so I find I sometimes have to quickly grab the leakage and pull it from the tip shortly before the target temperature is reached.

I spent quite a while modifying the start g-code trying to work around this - I changed it to bring the nozzle to the front left so that any leakage would come down just off the corner of the build plate, and then to come down and draw a horizontal line from left to right at the front edge of the plate to "wipe" the nozzle clean.

This actually worked quite well but I ran into bugs (?) with the g-code processing in the printer where on specific files it sometimes ignores the M109 S215 command and starts trying to print at the 150C pre-heat, and also skips some of the moves immediately after the M109 command. I've spent quite a few hours debugging this problem and my conclusion is the M109 command is buggy and does not always function properly depending on which commands follow it later in the print job... so I have gone back to the original simpler start G-code provided by Weedo which doesn't seem to trigger this bug.

I've also noticed bugs in the handling of the end G-code - even with the default one provided, depending on the specific print job the printing will sometimes just end abruptly without turning the heating element off, returning the extruder to the home position and sliding the bed to the front as it should - if you don't catch this and manually home the extruder soon after it stops you'll end up with a big lump on the top of your print that you'll have to slice off. Annoying.

Maybe someone who is a whiz with g-code can have a look at my custom g-code vs the provided code in another thread and work out why some of my modifications don't always work... (one trigger seems to be if the 150C preheat set by M104 is already reached before the M109 S215 command is executed, M109 and some of the following commands are skipped entirely)

Weedo Cura Definitions.zip 16.83 kB · 5 downloads

Thanks for the post, I was missing the weedo_base file, I'll try the Cura 5.21 from now

There are inheritances involved and there might be different versions as well.

The Weedo X40 file included with Cura 5.2.1 has <"inherits": "fdmprinter">.  So it is meant to be its own Base file.

The X40 file you posted above has <"inherits": "weedo_base"> and it's the Weedo Base file that inherits "fdmprinter".  So  if you use the X40 file you posted then yes, the Weedo Base file must be included.

@MariMakes

Sorry to bump this, but I have both Tina2 and Tina2S printers and it was a struggle to get the right printer configurations but after merging old 4.1 printer definitions and updating some redundant variables I created a pull request. Not sure if you can help with that but figured I would ask as two of the four automated checks fail. https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/pull/15095

either case, the files are there and anyone can copy them into your Cura directories so you can have the machine settings and add the Tina2 printer.

• Heart 2

Hey @syntax1269,

Very cool! Welcome to the Cura Contributor Club 👑

I'll bring it up to the team so they can take a look so it can be included in the next Cura release. 💪 

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Configuration for Weedo Tina2 3D Printer using UltiMaker Cura 5.2.1 for Windows 64-bit
    On 3/31/2023 at 6:09 PM, syntax1269 said:

@MariMakes

Sorry to bump this, but I have both Tina2 and Tina2S printers and it was a struggle to get the right printer configurations but after merging old 4.1 printer definitions and updating some redundant variables I created a pull request. Not sure if you can help with that but figured I would ask as two of the four automated checks fail. https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/pull/15095

either case, the files are there and anyone can copy them into your Cura directories so you can have the machine settings and add the Tina2 printer.

Hey, would you be able to share a sample .3mf file under the profile of the Tina2S?

Recently upgraded and lost the profile from the provided copy from Weefun. Can't quite get the settings right following those definitions

Edited by mobilephone2003

On 4/7/2023 at 8:33 AM, mobilephone2003 said:

Hey, would you be able to share a sample .3mf file under the profile of the Tina2S?

Recently upgraded and lost the profile from the provided copy from Weefun. Can't quite get the settings right following those definitions

What settings do you need? If you look at the pull request it contains all the files you would need.

If you attach a STL, I can run it though my Cura and then convert it to 3mf if you wish.

On a side note, my pull request has been merged into the Cura code, and the Tina2 series printers should show up on the next update of Cura. the 5.3.1 version does not contain the new printer files so 5.3.2+ should.

Thank you to everybody that had a hand in making this happen! So far the 5.4.0 beta is working beautifully. 

• Like 1

UltiMaker Cura 5.4.0 has been released and it includes the both Tina2 and Tina2s printers.

Enjoy!

On 7/19/2023 at 11:50 PM, syntax1269 said:

UltiMaker Cura 5.4.0 has been released and it includes the both Tina2 and Tina2s printers.

Enjoy!

Hello, can you show me where they appear?

1. Go to "Settings/Printer"
    2. Second from the bottom is "Add Printer"
    3. "Non-UltiMaker Printer"
    4. "Add a non-networked printer"

This dialog comes up.  Scroll down to "Weefun".

image.thumb.png.3ad290c6c5c2907ddf63f354890b456b.png

look people of the internet I have made a mistake I no longer have any access to the wii builder file it was on the sd card. and I used that on my old computer. I was getting my old computer fixed but UPS lost it in the mail I no longer have wii builder on any of my storage devices I have looked online for it but the weedo website just brings me to 404 not found error Idk know if they are no longer in operation but I NEED WII BUILDER so if anyone that still has it on their 3d printers sd cards can you download it and put it on here. http://www.weedo3dprinter.com/doku.php/firmware/tina2

The above link works fine for me.  Maybe it went down and came back up?  You can download wii builder from your link.