S5 Sliding Block Questions

Layerneer
Go to solution Solved by Layerneer,

Posted · S5 Sliding Block Questions

Can the newer white plastic versions of the S5 belt sliding blocks be disassembled without breaking the plastic?

I'm in the middle of installing new belts. I purchased a new belt kit from a reputable supplier earlier this year, but I'm just now getting around to installing it.

One of the X axis long belt sliding blocks seems to have an issue with the bushing. It will not allow the rod to be inserted. The bushing is either too small, or possibly misshapen. 

The bushings in the other three were all fine and allowed the rods to pass through with no problems.

The original sliding blocks were the black ones with plastic clips. I have removed the bushing from one of the original sliding blocks.

If possible, I would like to install the original bushing into the newer sliding block. There are no external clips on the newer sliding blocks, so prying it open seems like it might break the block in the process.

Thanks,

Jeff

I'm pretty sure you have to apply a scary amount of force but I'm pretty sure they pop apart.  I think there is like a cat's paw from each side that grabs the other and that could break in theory but in practice I think they pop apart.  if you aren't in a rush let's ask @IRobertI.  I suspect he's taken many apart.  These are certainly a pain to get back together.

I also think they are identical to the black ones but a different type of plastic that is less likely to crack (they have had cracking issues in the area where they clip to the rods).  Same mold.  I think.  I forget if the white ones or the black ones are better.  I think black are better on S5.  (and the opposite with the UM3: black ones crack more, white ones better, life is crazy).

It looks like you are in USA so you should contact support@fbrc8.com with an email (and include your serial number!  That saves time as they will ask anyway).  They are experts on the S5 partly because they built all the ones sold in USA and partly because they don't hire idiots.

• Solution

Thanks! I was able to pry it apart pretty easily with a small flat screw driver. Slipping the screw driver between the two halves, I was able to see the legs of the internal tabs. Then, I pressed in slightly on the legs with the screw driver while pulling it apart. 

Swapping to the old bushing sleeve and reassembling was pretty easy. The belt and spring stayed in position.

I attached pictures of the open one, and pictures of the faulty bushing. It has gouges and abrasions on both ends, and it skewed the shape of the opening.

Should be back up and running. 

IMG_0301.jpeg

IMG_0302.jpeg

IMG_0303.jpeg

IMG_0304.jpeg

• Like 1

Sorry I've been out all day (relative celebrating his 50th) and saw the tag by @gr5 now, but looks like you got it sorted out. These days we don't take these apart when replacing belts for customers, we use pre-assembled kits instead, saves a lot of time and the cost is not high enough to justify the extra time it takes (while risking cracking the block and having to replace it anyway).

As for which is better or worse. All sliding blocks can crack if you're unlucky I'd say, but the latest ones, the ones you have, that are white and have internal tabs seem to be very robust. The first white blocks (with external tabs) that came out for the UM3 were pretty bad, lots of cracked blocks there. They got replaced by black ones that fared much better but these were then replaced again by the new white ones. It's a bit of a mess as far as part numbers go there 😄 

• Like 1