Best print orientation ?

chrisr

Posted · Best print orientation ?

Hi all,

I've just today purchased a Ultimaker2 and I already have a print I'd like to do with it. It's a bracket I've designed in OpenSCAD

What I'm wondering is, what might be the best orientation of it for printing, as there are some holes which run through parts of it.

But first.... can any kind person please advise me how I upload a screenshot of it? :grin:Thanks in advance!

Welcome! Congrats on your new printer!!

The first thing you need to do is validate your account - which involves replying to the sign up email, then you can post images hosted on other sites, or use the My Gallery feature to post pictures here.

IRobertI posted a guide to picture posting a few days ago - but I don't have the link in front of me. Try crawling back through the recent posts a few pages to find it.

Orientation will depend on the shape; more generally, for best results you will want to design your part to facilitate 3D printing if at all possible, not just design something and then try to figure out how to orient it. Usually you want large flat surfaces parallel to the bed, or failing that, vertical. Unsupported parts are the most tricky things to print - designing in some removable supports is a good idea, or failing that, use Meshmixer to add them.

But we can tell you more when we see pictures!

Blimey! Those are impressive, was that second print done in that orientation ? if so, wow!

If I've done this right then hopefully there might be an image attached here.... (edit: I'm getting "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community") the image is a .jpg (it's a small screen grab)

I'll see if I can locate that recent post about adding images... :smile:

ou are not allowed to use that image extension on this community

You tried to post and html page instead of an image. The URL needs to end in "jpg" or "gif" or "png", not "html".

Alternatively click on "gallery" on the top left corner of this page, then click "upload". After uploading make a post and click on "my media" next to the smiley face.

Brilliant, thanks GR5. Hopefully this will work

BracketLoose beltRobotCura14 01 CCura14 01b CCura14 02 CCura14 02b CAssembly

illuminarti, on 27 Feb 2014 - 3:10 PM, said:

Here's the link I was referring to:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4525-how-to-upload-an-image-to-the-forum/&do=findComment&comment=38618

Many thanks!

Looks like the top surface is flat? If so, just print it with that surface flat on the bed (so rotate it 180º in Cura), and it should print fine.

Thanks, I'll try that. I'd wondered if any of the holes might need any supporting, but it seems they won't which is great!

Do you know if there's 'a rule of thumb' for when something might need supporting, or is it a case of just trying it out?

(edit - just spotted your advice about meshmixer - downloading that now)

The top of the hole will become a bit deformed. Depending on what you're trying to do that might or might not be an issue. If you want something to pass through it without resistance you might have to increase the hole size if you don't want to drill it out manually. You could also alter the shape of the hole so that it has a kind of water drop shape (the fake cartoony style).

Putting a thin membrane over the hole can also help but you will of course have to manually remove that afterwards.

As you keep printing stuff and pushing the limits you will soon get a feel for what you can get away with without support. In general I like to keep angles at around 45 degrees at most if possible. You can print bigger overhangs than that but the surface quality may suffer a bit. Anything that is hanging in free air will of course need support. "Door openings" can usually be bridged without much trouble. The longer the bridge, the worse quality on the downward facing surface.

Try printing this part to see how amazing the ultimaker is:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:33902

It typically comes out just fine. Even that rectangular overhang that is over nothing. Make sure you keep bed temp at 60C max and 100% fan.

Cruster, Ive only had my printer a week or so, you`ll be amazed at the ease getting prints out that look that nice. I have made a few items now with counter sunk holes everywhere, and so far, I have not had to drill out anything manually to use them. Tomorrow you`ll find out.

Hopefully there will be a few of us UK`ers meet up soon too, if your up for a pint :p

Skint, on 27 Feb 2014 - 8:23 PM, said:

Cruster, Ive only had my printer a week or so, you`ll be amazed at the ease getting prints out that look that nice. I have made a few items now with counter sunk holes everywhere, and so far, I have not had to drill out anything manually to use them. Tomorrow you`ll find out.

Hopefully there will be a few of us UK`ers meet up soon too, if your up for a pint :p

Up for a pint? I am most definitely! :grin: Just got back from Shrewsbury, no idea what happened to all the snow that was forecast, it was particularly nice & sunny up there.... here of course, it's still raining. Now I just got to find a good space for this lovely machine!

How exciting, don't forget to upload a photo of your " Happy Corner " lol