Is the print core for the Ultimaker 3 different from the print core for the UM3 Extended?

Dantan

Posted (edited) · Is the print core for the Ultimaker 3 different from the print core for the UM3 Extended?

I am trying to get my (new to me)  Ultimaker 3 working.    I had a "flooding(?)"  issue..  and the AA print head was trashed.   I think i got it all fixed,  and I ordered a new AA print core on Amazon.

It does not seem to fit...   and I of course, was too aggressive, and now I can not get it OUT!   I can not get it to go in all the way,  nor can I get it to come out again. 

I went to Amazon page that I got it from,  and when I looked at it more closely,  saw that it said " Compatibility: for Ultimaker 3 Extended, for Ultimaker S5"  

Does that mean there is s different print core for the Ultimaker 3 ??   Or did I end up with an off brand knock off,  that does not fit?

The link for the one I got is:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089CJ45WD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last question:  ANY suggestions on how to get this print core out??

I was really looking forward to using this machine,  but so far,  it has just been a pain in the butt.

Edited by Dantan

Posted · Is the print core for the Ultimaker 3 different from the print core for the UM3 Extended?

FYI:  I screwed up, and said S3 in the topic..   it is Ultimaker 3    NOT S3    can not figure out how to change it.

• Dustin changed the title to Is the print head for the 3 different from the print head for the UM3 Extended?
    • Dantan changed the title to Is the print core for the Ultimaker 3 different from the print core for the UM3 Extended?
    Posted · Is the print core for the Ultimaker 3 different from the print core for the UM3 Extended?

@Torgeir  There is not filament loaded yet.     the print head did not fit into the ..   carriage?  all the way,  and now I can not get it OUT of the carriage.

Do I need to replace the whole ..  carriage?  assembly?

Where is a good source for affordable  parts?

This machine had a lot of use before i got it...  but  the specs are good for this machine,  and I think it will definitely do what I need,  if i can get it to work with out too much cost.

Thank you in advance

Dantan

I'd put the right core in and out many times and watch the mechanism and understand what has to move, then try to get it out the left side.  For example instead of squeezing the "trigger" you can push up on the nozzle with one hand and then pull from there and pull with the clear part (and trigger) all at the same time.  Realize you may break the heat break but you need to get this out.

Then throw it away.  It's not from Ultimaker and it shouldn't get stuck.  Or don't throw it away but try putting in a genuine UM core first.

If you still can't get it out, I'd probably take the head completely apart and you may need a heat gun or even just a hair dryer to get the PLA up above 60C to then get it out.  Videos on disassembly of print head here:

https://www.ultimakernasupport.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004226246-Printhead

UM3/S3/S5/S7/UM3extended all take the same cores.  They are all interchangeable.

Your printer should have come with 3 cores (two AA 0.4 and one BB 0.4).

It may be that there is still some PLA in the head from the head flood and that is why the core got stuck.

You can get genuine cores from places like Matterhackers.

Learn how to NEVER have a head flood. Never.  Before you do an unattended print.

Ok...   life got in the way, and had to take a break from this project.

still at the same point..  about to take the whole print head assembly apart, to get this out.....   

If I mess up,  where can I get a new print head assembly ?  (the part that the AA and BB print heads slide into) ?   I have been looking on ebay to see if i can find one used...    not luck..   or maybe I am not using the correct name?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Dantan

You are more likely to break a core.  The wires going to the heater/temp sensor are a bit delicate since you can't solder them.

fbrc8.com can sell you any portion of the print head.  But again, it's pretty tough.  You have to email them first as not everything is in their web store.  They built your printer so they have absolutely everything.

By the way, the way to clean up the head is;

1) Heat up the cores if at all possible.  This can't be done if a core popped out or if a wire broke but try to heat them up to normal printing temp.

2) Use some kind of heat gun to warm up the plastic and pull it off with thin metal tools such as needle nose pliers, small screw drivers, etc.

3) Be extra gentle around the print core wires.

It takes around an hour (I'm told) if you have the right tools.