How to disassemble a clogged UM2 nozzle

corngolem

Posted · How to disassemble a clogged UM2 nozzle

I suspect the nozzle is clogged and needs to be cleaned by burning the material inside, problem, the nozzle is round instead of hexagonal and thus can't be unscrewed.

• 1 month later...

Had to clear my nozzle last night with this method after switching from the Ultimaker PLA to a 3mm PLA I purchased from Makershed. After clearing the nozzle I noticed that the part below the spring/teflon piece doesn't seem to be touching the bottom metal plate... Should it be making comtact with this plate? It would seem that the thermal paste (if thats what it is) on the ring with the screw holes was meant to be in contact with the lower plate...

The metal collar with holes in the edge is supposed to be pressed flat against the metal plate under it, yes. The teflon piece should be seated as far down into that collar as it will go, but so as to leave a 1-2mm gap where the narrower part of the teflon piece is visible, above the collar.

The metal collar is a press fit. Just wiggle the heater/nozzle block a bit until the collar seats down properly into the plate.

The paste you see is copper grease. It is to prevent oxidization at the junction of the two metals, when heated. It's not there for thermal reasons as such.

Thanks illuminarti! Thats what I thought. Had to clear the nozzle after switching to a thicker PLA and found that increasing the temps while printing help to keep the nozzle clear. Printing a Venus De Milo statue from Thingaverse right now...

Illuminarti,

Not trying to steal a post, just thought it would be best if I didn't start yet another clogged nozzle post.

Any suggestions for superClog? I have had my ultimaker for along time and used the atomic method successfully many times. Recently I have a clog that is unlike any other. I have used the atomic method 10-15 times as directed by the Tips and tricks section. I cannot get it to unclog!!!! Any alternative last measure techniques? I already replaced the Nozzle and hotend awhile back. Maybe this is my push to move to the olson block.

HelP

Thanks

Push a fine pin or needle up the nozzle when its hot and scrape around the edge of the inner part of the nozzle. then try the atomic pull.