Ultimaker Cura 5.5 beta released

ArunC

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 5.5 beta released

I just noticed that apparently the settings for print core 1 and 2 are reversed on an Ultimaker S3. 

For example, to edit the speed, fill or skirt settings in print core 1 on an Ultimaker S3, Ultimaker Tough PLA, I need to change the settings for print core 2 (PVA, which is disabled). 

Changing the settings for print core 1 has no effect on objects printed with print core 1. 

Can anyone confirm this?

Funny thing - this actually made my S5, literally, 105% slower. It took a 22 minute build from the previous version and made it 48 minutes. I ran them side by side and with all materials it slowed my S5 to a crawl. Am I missing something here?

Hey @Gero,

I tried to reproduce your bug, but I'm not able to:

image.thumb.png.4e03f4188caa58de588581cd6a0ba49e.png

image.thumb.png.921e91c71f4d5f89e1ddc6f32cdefbea.png

The Brim Speed matches those of my first extruder, not of my second one.

Do you have a project file for us? It contains the printer and settings we need for troubleshooting. 

To save a project file go to File -> Save project.

Hey @dterry77,

Did you select an UltiMaker printer with UltiMaker PLA? The speed improvements will not show up when you select a generic version of the material you are printing with, because that can be any type of material brand and our experts can't guarantee that the changes work for those combinations. Also, if speed is what you are looking for, make sure you select the draft intent. You can learn more about our intent profiles here

@MariMakes
    sure, here you go.

As can be seen in the picture, Tough PLA with the Balanced settings was selected for print core 1. However, the object is printed with the settings of PVA Generic, which is deactivated in print core 2. Hence the long print time of over 9 hours. 
    When I tried to print it this way, the S3 also tried to print the Tough PLA with the PVA Generic temperature. The settings here are 1 to 1 reversed. 

Although 5 outer walls are set, only 2 are printed, because the PVA Generic has only 2 outer walls set. 

Screenshot 2023-10-19 103819.png

UMS3_Bodenplatte_Bug.3mf

Hey @Gero,

I took a look at your project file in Cura 5.5 and I'm a bit stumped. 
    For me the files and setting changes are showing up as intended. 
    image.thumb.png.26442c6346fbc07743ef6997422c3ad4.png

I'll bring it up to the team to see what they can do to improve it.
    But I expect that if we cannot reproduce it we cannot resolve it. 

Could there be something broken in your printer configuration?
    Are you still seeing the behavior when you load the project file and ask Cura to Create a new printer? 

Yep, apparently there was an error in the printer configurations. Resetting cura fixed the problem. 👍

On 10/11/2023 at 1:57 PM, GregValiant said:

Materials are my first problem.  There weren't any for my printer and the Preferences dialog does not configure to "Manage Materials". 

The problems with the Materials pane of the preferences are caused by an interplay between Cura 5.5 and the Material Settings plugin. This has been fixed for the stable 5.5 release, and also in a DEV release of the Material Settings plugin, available here:

https://github.com/fieldOfView/Cura-MaterialSettingsPlugin/releases/tag/v3.6.1-DEV

Download the .curapackage for Cura 5.0-current, and drop the file onto the buildplate in Cura as if you were opening a 3d model.

• Like 3

Thanks @ahoeben.  Your fix appears to work as advertised so it's all good now.

• Like 1

Hello @MariMakes,

Will we get some documentation for the engine plugins? I'm thinking about dipping my toes into making one 👀 The new update looks super interesting!

Thanks 🙂

@Joeydelasagne as so often with Cura and plugins, you'll have to scour the source and look at examples. The most up-to-date example is https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine_plugin_gradual_flow, but there are more: https://github.com/Ultimaker?q=curaengine_plugin&type=all

Hey @Joeydelasagne and @ahoeben,

I asked the Developers for the best place to start and they suggested these three places. 

1. CuraEngine plugins Discussion https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/discussions/15629
    2. Gradual Flow Plugin that's shipped with Cura https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine_plugin_gradual_flow
    3. Infill Generate Plug-in that we are fine-tuning to release on the marketplace soon™️ https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine_plugin_infill_generate

If you feel that anything is missing or if there are things to improve, you can leave a comment in the Discussion on Github and we'll try to help you out. 

Issues that I am getting with the beta are that the right-side settings toolbar is not showing the names of the individual adjustable settings in dark mode. I tested it yesterday and couldnt see the exact settings that I needed to change like Initial temp and printing temp. In addition, the z-seams for the prints have gotten worse for me and I can't "seem" to get rid of it or know how to get rid of it besides retractions and coasting settings. However, those haven't helped and it's become an issue with machines that didn't have it as an issue before.