Belt Wear

rift

Are other people seeing quite a good amount of belt wear? Iv been cleaning little black flakes and dust off my machine quite a bit since getting it. Iv looked at the belts and you can see a bit of wear on the edges. Was wondering if others are seeing the same?

i dont have one yet BUT if this belt broke, where can we get replacement parts ?

i dont see them for sale on the ultimaker website ?

what would a new belt cost ?

The so called MXL timing belts should be available world wide, just google "240 mxl belt" and "80 mxl belt" (1/4in wide), and you should find plenty of sources (about $4 each)

joergen

I'm not seeing belt wear. Are you sure your pulleys are aligned? Maybe your belts are slightly skewed and so they are pressing the belts to the sides of the pulleys.

Same here.. Same guess as to why he's seeing wear, too..

i dont have one yet BUT if this belt broke, where can we get replacement parts ?

i dont see them for sale on the ultimaker website ?

what would a new belt cost ?

Ian :D

If you need replacement parts, best is to mail them. They dont sell it (yet) on the website.

One of my short belts has signs of wearing on edges. As Daid said it was caused by pulleys - just a few hours of printing with unaligned pulleys left visible marks.

One of my short belts has signs of wearing on edges.

I have some wear on my short Y-belt too which I just noticed yesterday. The machine started to make some strange sounds in particular parts of the printing area. It appeared to be the damaged sides of the belts touching the pulley. I'll look after the alignment of the pulleys.

Other than that my belts look fine.

Oh man, the spam is starting to get entertaining.

At least the bot made an attempt to stay on topic.

I don't know if I should be happy or terrified about that...

Where can I get Gucci belt for my Ultimaker?

240 mxl Pls.

[EDIT]-> (Chinese knockoffs OK)

[EDIT #2] And a fashionable handbag to put my screwdrivers etc in, (other forum members will be so jealous when they see it)

Get the flexible PLA and print your own fancy Gucci belt replacements?

Note: I don't think flexible PLA will work as belts, because normal belts contain reenforcements so it doesn't stretch. You might be able to print timing belts with flexible PLA if you put thin steel cable in it during the print...

Forgive my ignorance but from what I've seen the pitch for an UM belt is 2.03mm, the one I will be using is 2mm spot on. My next question is about the pulleys and their size and number of teeth. Since the pulleys are different I want to make sure I get the same amount of linear travel per full rotation as the original UM.

Any chance I can change that in the software if I can't get the right ratios?

Yes, you can adjust the firmware to get the correct movement.

You can help your belts to live longer by giving all your pulley wheels a proper deburring before building the

machine (yes I know sorry not very useful advice once its all together). The standard pulleys have two pressed on

discs at each side to stop the belt slipping off. Because these are obviously made with cost as the #1 priority, these discs are not deburred at all (a burr is a sharp edge caused from manufacturing). So if you dont remove all these edges from the belt alignment discs, they will sit and happily chew away at the edges of your belts. This will become much worse if you have any belt misalignment as then the belt will really be pushed against the sharp edges of the discs on the side of each pulley.

So buy a proper deburring tool set, or just use the edge of a blade to remove all sharp edges from your pulley guide discs. This will help a great deal.

Regards

Calum