Questions about Ultimaker 2 connectivity (USB & WiFi)

Posted · Questions about Ultimaker 2 connectivity (USB & WiFi)

What's the status on connectivity with Ultimaker 2?

I see on the main product page that WiFi is a future upgrade and I also noted in the manual that it says "WiFi ready". Does this mean that the hardware is already included but not enabled? If so, when might I expect firmware upgrades to enable it?

If the printer does not have WiFi connectivity out of the box, are there any alternative methods to communicate with it? (IE to get sensor data, status and sending commands/files). The manual says the USB is only for firmware updating, so does that mean the only way I can send files without WiFi is via the SD Card?

As much as I like the idea of a stand-alone printer, I want to be able to at least monitor it remotely. I'm hoping to setup remote control at some point if possible.

the manual that it says "WiFi ready".

That's very strange. I don't think there are any wifi chips on the current PCB or someone would have mentioned it by now. I know that some non-ultimaker people are very serious about changing out the arduino to a cell phone computer which of course can easily do wifi (and hi resolution graphics and more). And when that project is stable enough I think it will be integrated into the UM2 (or UM3).

Anyway don't count on this within a year.

Printing through USB works but is not reliable and is not officially supported. Some people use octoprint which is free. But again, not officially supported. For many machines USB printing works fine but for others it barely works at all.

SD printing is wonderful - I've done 30 hour prints and I don't have to worry about my windows computer shutting down for some obscure adobe update in the middle of my print.

So I guess the basic answer is if you really need wifi printing you should get something else.

That's very strange. I don't think there are any wifi chips on the current PCB or someone would have mentioned it by now.

Interesting, yeah after looking it up board schematics/pictures I don't see anything that suggests there is hardware to support internet connectivity on the printer itself.

Printing through USB works but is not reliable and is not officially supported.... For many machines USB printing works fine but for others it barely works at all.

Is that something that will be fixed in future firmware updates? I imagine that would affect compatibility with the Doodle3D too.

By "machines" I assume gr5 is referring to the computers connected to the printer. For some people it works just fine, for others it does not. Buffer underruns, energy saving stuff and other things mess stuff up for some people.

Ah okay that makes more sense. I plan to use the SD card, but I was hoping to log sensor data as well so that's why I was interested in connectivity.

Actually, now I'm thinking I might try hooking it up to a Raspberry Pi with Pronterface or Octoprint. Maybe throw in a webcam so I can control/monitor it remotely.

I am new to this, but have already found that if I could monitor it remotely, I would want the ability to see the statistics, maybe tune, and absolutely abort. Has anyone already come up with a solution for this?

Thanks,

Q

I am new to this, but have already found that if I could monitor it remotely, I would want the ability to see the statistics, maybe tune, and absolutely abort. Has anyone already come up with a solution for this?

Well, I haven't bought the printer yet, but from my research it seems that you can interface it with Pronterface (as long as the computer connected is compatible). Pronterface has a webinterface for remote control it seems, but you should be able to grab data on at least two levels.

1) You should be able to write your own python script using it's Printcore/printrun library. There are a number of host functions to grab data and you should be able to make something that regular logs and process the data as well as send commands to the printer (like pause or start).

2) Alternatively, you can let the web interface handle everything and grab the data off of the site using a combination of javascript, regular expression and php as it gets updated on the site.

I have not worked with any of this though, so this is just speculation on what might be possible.

Octoprint does this. Install it on a raspberry pi. Add a raspicam.

The only problem is that UltiGCode isn't supported so you have to change you gcode flavor to reprap

Do you think something like this could work?

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/memory/flash-memory-cards/transcend-wi-fi-sd-card-1140990/review

its a Wifi integrated sd card. I dont know if you can send data on it directly but if you can that could be quite an easy solution...

I have a vague memory of daid mentioning that there was some problem using those types of cards with the UM2 (either related to the HC variant or both printer and computer accessing the card at once). I'm not 100% sure though, let me look around and see what I can find.

My google fu seems weak today. I didn't find anything specific to the wifi enabled cards but it seems that HC (high capacity) cards are a bit hit or miss. Some report that it works fine while others are having problems. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

I bought one Toshiba FlashAir card. Worst case I'll use it in my camera :)

Its supposed to support multi connections data sharing...

I'll let you know when I get it.

Here's another thread on the topic of Wifi-SD Cards which in itself links to another thread about SD Card compatibility.

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4537-wifi-sd-card-in-ultimaker-2/?hl=wifi

Yet another proof that this search engine need some love...

Thanks for finding this

Alright got the FlashAir 16Gb sd card.

The good news:

- The card is recognised by the UM2 (storage wise that is)

- The Wifi works on my camera

- You can upload stuff to it from your pc

- You can browse data from any device that can connect to a wifi

The bad news:

The UM2 doesn't seems to keep the card active at all or at least not in a way that could activate the wifi. Even while printing the wifi doesn't activate.

I've been reading other printers have used that card too

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/flashforge/YKDwPndCoks/discussion

Hmmm... It can't be an SDHC problem because you said it can access the card fine.

I'm wondering if it's a power problem (though Toshiba says it consumes very little power) or if the card communicates with the device in someway before enabling the WiFi.

It seems like those people in that other forum have it working though. Have you tried their solutions yet?

Well they don't actually have a solution. It just work with their Sailfish firmware. I've set all the other parameters already.

Also found this which contain good information http://www.extrud3d.com/flashair

Since Sailfish has SDHC support, this becomes possible. Other firmware (including the Makerbot stock firmware) does not support SDHC currently to my knowledge.

Reading more this could be a case of being too far from my router. I'll have to try this later since the printer is in another room and that the card seems to support close range only.

stay tuned

Well the wifi doesn't get activated by the UM2. I don't know if its because of the way it read the card or if its because its missing something but it doesn't work for now.

Is the firmware opensource? I know Cura is but I would like to peak at the code (depending of the language).

The firmware is opensource, it's a flavor of Marlin firmware from RepRap.

https://github.com/ultimaker/

awesome! I'll get into that whenever I can... and probably look at sorting the file list by name :)